Soil mixture?

JDJP

Ok, got another one for you guys.
I looked around at all the local places for some good soil, but didn't really find anything.
Im wanting to go all organic, so all the "feeds up to 3 months" stuff is out.
one place had "black cow" which is half manure half soil?

anyway, my question is if I have to mix my own soil, what do I need to get?

My babies are only a couple days old in small cups, im going to transplan in a week or so, and want to put them in a better soil, I just have them in cheap stuff now.

Should I just get some compost and potting soil and add pearlite, and sand??

9 gallons peat moss
3 gallons vermiculite
6 gallons perlite
1 pound blood meal
1 pound bone meal
1 pound greensand
1 pound lime or dolomite lime
1 pound rock phosphate
Pinch of boron (borax is an inexpensive source)
Blend these ingredients in a small cement mixer or in a large barrel with a tight fitting lid that will let you
roll it around to mix the contents. If you have to stir the ingredients in an open container, moisten them
SLIGHTLY with water to avoid breathing in clouds of dust as you work.
Do not use more than a pinch of boron. It encourages root growth, but its levels can quickly go from
helpful to harmful in the soil. Once you get the soil all mixed you can add some manure tea (see recipe
below). The lime in this mix helps to neutralize the acidity of the manure tea.

Manure Tea

10 to 15 gallons manure (combine horse, chicken, and cow manure to get a nice balance of nutrients.
5 gallon bucket of chickweed and/or stinging nettles.
Water to fill 55 gallon drum (you'll need a well ventilated area to pull this off!!)
Dump manure(s) in the bottom of the drum. Add chickweed and/or nettles, both of which are rich in
trace elements, then fill drum with water.
Once a week stir the "tea" and add water to replace any that has evaporated. You'll need a brewing time
of at least 3 weeks before using this tea in the potting soil mix.

I start with organic TOP soil. Then add Perlite for drainage, Vermiculite for water retention, and bat guano as a added starter fertilizer. You can also additionally add kelp meal and worm castings for additional nutrient sources and drainage, but these are more expensive and harder to find.

I cannot stress enough, PROPORTIONS ARE VARIABLE. Depending on your soil and the coarseness of your brand of vermiculite/perlite, you will need to ammend the soil more or less with each. Also, take into account the amount of soil you wish to make. Don't make too much, but certainly not too little either.

If you want something ready mixed, I always hear Pro Mix BX potting soil, largely sold by Agway, is a great soil to use. However, the soil mix I use is usually relatively stable in pH for the entire grow, where as the Pro Mix's main component is peat, which over time through it's breakdown will cause the soil pH to slowly lower (become more acidic). This may cause the need to arise for pH adjustment later.

Or...

Here are two very good organic soiless mixes...

5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Or, if you use Pro Mix or Sunshine Mix...

6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.

Oh, also, would I still need the bone meal and blood meal ect. if I have all the alaska brand nutes(start up, fish emulsion, and morebloom)???

Thanks again

Found a local "mulch and stone" place that carries organic potting soil in bulk, it costs $21 yard, he says "its a very good potting soil". should I throw in some extra pearlite and Vermiculite and give it a shot?

Back
Top Bottom