Start growing with leds - they are unreal

Re: start growing with led's...they are unreal

i bet we scared mrled away or he got too busy to hang out

found an interesting link to NASA Aeroponics shuttle and space station biocontrols.com agrihouse colorado usa

but annyhow halogen and non LED Light arrays some long "U" shaper flouro 24" 80 watts supposed to deliver

350 micro einsteins photosynthetic power
no heat problems .....

any one know what this micro einstein is and how many does a typical 400 wattt MH /or HPS put out at a usable distance

A micro Einstein huh? I did a lil looking around and found this conundrum...
Anyone care to break this down to a Dr. Suess level for me? U know one fish two fish..
We are used to units of illumination and irradiance that involve human vision, such as footcandle, lumen, and lux. [7] But plant biologists of various kinds have been interested in measuring photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) from 400-700 nanometers. Evidently the push for this was stronger in Europe than in North America. [1] Another distinction with PAR, is that we are interested in irradiance (amount of energy striking a surface per unit area per unit time) rather than brightness (energy output of the bulb or light source).

A breakthrough was the demonstration in 1972 by Keith McCree to show that photosynthesis was better predicted by counting photons in radiation than in using footcandle measurement meters, leading to the development of devices called quantum meters. And the price of these meters has come way down and is much less costly than the more accurate spectroradiometer for measuring PAR.

All this lead to the designation of the "Einstein" as a unit of irradiance. A whole Einstein is defined as 1 mole of photons. Recall that one mole is 6.02x10^23 atoms (Avogadro's number). The unit used for PAR irrandiance is a millionth of an Einstein per square-meter per second, or 6.02x10^17 photons per square-meter per second, the microEinstein (µE). [4] Note, however, that the Einstein is not an official SI unit of measure [3].

See [5] for an excellent discussion of all this with respect to greenhouses. They also have some conversion factors such as

5 microEinstein = 1 footcandle

Some measures may be expressed as an integration over a longer time period, such as for the Langley unit sometimes used in climatology
10.45 Einstein/day = 1 Langley/day

Climatologists and other atmospheric scientists are sometimes interested in expressing solar irradiance at the top of the atmosphere, before any absorption. See [6] for a graph and explanation of the unit of measure: Watts per square-meter per inverse-centimeters per steridian!

For additional units conversion data, see the tables at the ends of [1] and [3]. To be precise about conversions, either from PAR units to illuminance units or vice versa, you also need to know the type of illumination source (e.g., kind of bulb).
Q.E.D.
Done by Some professor at UNH, Jim Kerney I think

sarry for the reference to some graphs.. they are not where I found this article.

I thought a micro Einstein was a little guy with big hair and ideas.

anxious to see some new developement's with the LED.

Has anyone seent the NEW Sun System 300Watt Led Board?

They are Expensive as shit $1795.00 Here is the Kicker they say it is Equal to a 1500 watt HPS!!! WTF Do you think it can be TRUE?

I just harvested 2 weeks Early because I received a Electric bill W/ Zero Owed and they said they wanted to " Investigate the Acct to make sure I'm being billed correctly.

For the $1795 a Lamp if it is really a true 1500 HPS that is only drawing 300 watts then it is worth every penny I would have had grade A+++ instead I have A's (SUCKS). They say it cover 50 SQFT I think some of this shit is definetly make up #'s just curious to hear others opinions.

I'll be phasing in some LEDs next go around. I've done a lot of reading about LED's, proper wavelengths, wattage, etc......

So far the guys that really have a handle on things are LED Grow Lights - HomeGrownLights.com

You can build your own or have them build it for an xtra charge....These guys seem pretty straight forward and don't bs - on the 14 w grid they say it covers 1 sq foot, which sounds realistic........

W!CK

:bong:

i get real different readings on light depending on how i measure it

just took a gossen luna pro sbc light meter to the cab with a ruler

all readings are approx 1 foot from bulb {400 watt philips HPS

c400s51/alto code on box month old bulb}

reflected light off white paper 1 foot from bulb meter next to bulb sensor pointed at paper 32000 footcandles

incident light the white plastic cover thing on the light meter reading the light falling on it at one foot away from the bulb
[this is the way the german engineers set the table on the meter for footcandles and lux] reads 4000 footcandles

by the way if you try this yourself dont let a plastic ruler touch the HPS bulb when trying to make readings at the same distance

but any way 4000 and 32000 footcandles were my two readings at i foot from the bulb with reflected light being eight times the incident

i use the smaller number from incident readings as this usually matches or is real close to the lumen numbers on bulb packaging

illumination standards also use this methodology but this is white light not the PAR light check out the spectrum charts from
led and hps/mh and educational websites for horticulture this is why they say LEDs can be more efficient for plants with specific light colors the plants actually use

now that i have confused you with factual scientific numbers used wrongly you can guess how easy it is for claims on light output to be all over the map

but anyhow if you can find an incident light meter on e bay or from a camera shop[find a retired photographer, hint] you can track your light and really know when a bulb is old enought to change based on real measured output [your eye will fool you it adjusts automaticaLLY]

OFFF TRACK A BIT BUT MAY HELP EXPLAIN all those different numbers for light output on different lights

I have a led set-up that might change your mind.check out my journal.
What LEDS are you using Procyons??? They seem to be the best but as far as yields they are not even close to HPS or MH... My friend was in High Times w/ the first LED grow and yields are not there just yet but definitely going to be the future... We will not need to have a street lamp in our house s or grow opps to receive great yields SOON... IMO they are great for people looking for head smoke or VEG but NO way ready for Cash Croppers they have a little ways to go!!! Procyon just came out w/ a $1800 lamp which I have not seen yet but they are soon to come and time will tell...

Good Luck GL1

im running 4 fero af/600's they're actual draw is 595w and they are suposed to be direct replacements for 1000w hps so I cant see 300w being even close to 1500w hps
Has anyone seent the NEW Sun System 300Watt Led Board?

They are Expensive as shit $1795.00 Here is the Kicker they say it is Equal to a 1500 watt HPS!!! WTF Do you think it can be TRUE?

I just harvested 2 weeks Early because I received a Electric bill W/ Zero Owed and they said they wanted to " Investigate the Acct to make sure I'm being billed correctly.

For the $1795 a Lamp if it is really a true 1500 HPS that is only drawing 300 watts then it is worth every penny I would have had grade A+++ instead I have A's (SUCKS). They say it cover 50 SQFT I think some of this shit is definetly make up #'s just curious to hear others opinions.

Back
Top Bottom