Starting my first basic grow box - input?

blarg88

First off, site is awesome tons of info floating around.

I'm rather bored so I figured I'd try and give my green thumb a try.

I'd like to keep my setup as simple as possible.

The space I have for growing is 2' (length) x 1' (width) x 2' (height)

I'll be using an allergen removal machine for air flow good up to 250 sq feet. I'll also be putting some carbon inserts in it to keep the smell down.

I'm coating the entire box with mylar. I'll be using CFL's 8 total. A mixture of 2700 cool and a few warmer ones thrown in. I'll be doing a 20/4 cycle the entire time.

I'll be growing some lowryder, two plants at a time as well as a spot for the constant germ / sprouting area for new seeds.

I'll be getting some basic low acidic potting soil, and i'll be using basic tap water treated with chlorine remover for watering.

My questions:

1.) Will I have enough lighting?
2.) Should I try to rig up some kind of reflector? I'm using the Y sockets and just putting the CFLS on a power strip.

3.) I'll have to buy everything from my local walmart or lowes, so keeping that in mind does anyone have any other suggestions or alternatives on my setup?

yes you should have enuf light, mostly 6500k for veg, switch to 2700k for flowering. keep a mix of both. make sure you have adequate airflow,at all times, or you will turn it into an easybake oven! walls will work as reflector. need lots of light. you dont have much headroom, keep your nodes close.

Thanks for the reply.

After rigging this up I'm not sure I want to keep this setup. Just seems cheap, and unsafe.

I'm going to purchase a real light.

Also, my grow area has room to expand, I think I will have an area of about 4L' x 1W' x 2H'

What are the chances of me getting 1 fixture that will that whole area? Maybe someone can recommended something I can pickup at a local walmart / lowes / home deopt etc. I hate waiting for shipping :(

make sure to mix 2700k cfl's and 6500k cfl's. and you will want to LST your plants, Low Stress Training to keep it short because of the height issue . click my link in my sig to see what i did for my grow box .

I actually read over your whole build thread. Looks good.

I'm just not sure I want to stick to CFLs.

I'd like to get two smaller lights, one for growth one for buds and separate my area but I don't know what kind of light I'll need.

Both spaces are about 2'Lx1'Wx2'

I haven't been able to find much online, that I don't want to pay $150 per light only to deal with heat issues.

I need two fixtures I won't be growing more then 2 plants in either room.

Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom