State Dems: Legalize Marijuana

Jacob Bell

By a 75-43 vote, Washington state Democrats voted Saturday to endorse Initiative 502, which would legalize marijuana with distribution and sales put under control of the Liquor Control Board.

The party's state committee adopted a resolution claiming that "thousands" of Washington citizens are "arrested, prosecuted and convicted for simple marijuana possession each year, wasting millions of dollars in police, court and jail resources."

The resolution said legalization would yield the state $215 million each year in much-needed income, with $80 million going to the state general fund and $135 million used for substance abuse control.

Actually, Initiative 502 would break down revenue from marijuana legalization in several ways.

Fifty percent would go to Basic Health Washington, 15 percent to the Department of Social and Health Services for drug abuse treatment, and another 10 percent to DSHS for drug abuse education. Just under 20 percent would go to the general fund and administration.

I-502 has drawn support from such liberal political figures as Seattle's State Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson and Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes. But it is also supported by John McKay, U.S. Attorney for Western Washington under the second Bush administration.

Washington State Democrats sent out no announcement of the resolution, adopted at a meeting in Bellingham. The party touted its endorsement of Rep. Jay Inslee for governor.

news4.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: blog.seattlepi.com
Author: Joel Connelly
Copyright: Hearst Seattle Media, LLC

So weed is gonna be legal in Washington now....? I think the move to the west coast is gonna come sooner than expected.. : )

What about cultivation though, because I'm still gonna want to grow my own? :tokin:

Sadly, I don't understand totally the states's policies when it comes to passing bills as well as I should,

Does this mean its now legal, or that it has been simply sent to the next stage for further approval?

i need to start saving up for a move.

I'm not totally sure either, but I'm under the impression that the initiative passed, so it will have the ability to be passed or have the public vote on it, similar to prop 19 in cali last year

good to see cannabis making anuva step towards its goal great job to all those who fought to have cannabis legalized keep on fighting

State Democratic party passed a resolution to endorse the stated initiative. Simply put, they're telling Democrats in Washington to vote for it.
Doesn't hold any actual weight as rule of law. Too bad.
Don't move yet.

Washington is starting to look very attractive. If Republicans could see that their support of the prison system and locking innocent voters up and is costing Americans Billions of dollars. They will endorse this bill also. Tea Party Republicans like Ron Paul would endorse this initiative. Outstanding!!:cheer:

Looking good for 2011-2012 political season.
Fingers crossed.
All we need is a legalization models success, then the house of government cards will fall. Hooray.

Back
Top Bottom