State House Committee Kills Pot Legalization Bill

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Wa. - State lawmakers on Wednesday killed bills that would've legalized or decriminalized marijuana in Washington state.

"I can not in good conscience .. pass a law that is against federal law," said Rep. Christopher Hurst, D-Enumclaw, chairman of the House Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committee. That panel defeated House Bill 2401 by a six to two vote. HB 2401 would make pot use legal for people over aged 21, with revenues taxed by the state.

The committee also killed House Bill 1177 would decriminalize possession of small amounts of the drug, making it a civil infraction subject to a fine. That vote was five to three.

Washington voters may still get a chance to weigh in on the matter this fall, as signatures are being collected for a citizen imitative legalizing marijuana they hope to put on the November ballot.

Hurst said there were good arguments for considering legalization.

"One of my observations is that, should the federal government be in the business of regulating marijuana? I have questions," Hurst said, despite his no vote. "I'm a state's right person, I always have been...this is an issue that may be better served by individual states (making the decision).

Other committee members said prohibition hadn't worked, spawning illegal markets and a wasted, costly enforcement effort.

"The war on drugs is such a complete and utter failure," said Rep. Sherry Appleton, D-Poulsbo. "This is a time to challenge the federal government, and we should be doing that. I'm going to be a definite yes vote."

A recent poll Poll: Majority in Washington favor legalizing pot found that Washingtonians favor removing the pot prohibition. The KING5/SurveyUSA sampling found that 56 percent of respondents thought legalization was a good idea. Meanwhile, 54 percent said they thought lawmakers should allow the sale of marijuana in state-run liquor stores, with such transactions taxed.

Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, D-Seattle, the sponsor of the legalization bill, had previously said selling and taxing pot would bring in $300 million in tax dollars every two years, according to state estimates. State lawmakers are dealing with a $2.6 billion operating budget deficit, a situation that has them considering large program cuts and tax increases.

Speaking in favor of the decriminalization bill was a committee member who had been a police officer for more than 20 years. Rep. Al O'Brien, D-Mountlake Terrace, said enforcing marijuana laws was wasting cops' time and resources.

"By decriminalizing, we don't make it illegal," he said. "We can save our jail space, we can save the time for our law enforcement agencies...it's a lot tougher to be a cop then when I was on the streets. They need their time to confront the serious issues."

Rep. Roger Goodman, D-Kirkland, agreed.

"In all of those states where marijuana was decriminalized, use did not increase," he said.

But Hurst worried about the conflict with federal law.

"If you are arrested in a national park ... or crossing the border, they will charge you," the committee chairman said.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: seattlepi.com
Copyright: 2010 Hearst Seattle Media, LLC

Fine. The legislature doesn't have the guts to do the right thing then we'll get behind Doug Hiatt's intiative that legalizes all MJ consumption and sales for adults. Plus the intiative legalizes hemp to be grown here.
It gets old any more where the ownly meaningful legislation that gets passed any more is through the intitiative process. Maybe its time to just do away with the legislature and pass all laws by the intiative process. That would be my preference anyway.

"I can not in good conscience .. pass a law that is against federal law," said Rep. Christopher Hurst, D-Enumclaw, chairman of the House Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committee.

Grow a pair already. The people have spoken in the polls and the people will act sooner or later.

Legislators who fail to represent their constituents get the worst possible reputation. Why make it look like people had to go over your head to do something you were too scared to admit?

Somebody needs to tell this idiot that Federal law doesn't require matching State laws.

How does one get to be a legislator without that basic, fundamental knowledge of our system of gov't? This man should be recalled for gross incompetence.

Hurst said there were good arguments for considering legalization.

"One of my observations is that, should the federal government be in the business of regulating marijuana? I have questions," Hurst said, despite his no vote. "I'm a state's right person, I always have been...this is an issue that may be better served by individual states (making the decision).

Isn't that what this state bill was trying to do? A state making it's own laws.

Ain't that the truth...and now the Supreme Court has made it even easier to "buy" your way into office!:bong:

Yup... we are no longer a Democracy but a corporatocracy...I have to wonder at what point, if any, we will all decide that we have had enough and take to the streets in protest?

Back
Top Bottom