Storing Seeds, How Long Are They Good For?

Dunlap

I'm probably going to start a little grow op when I move at the end of the summer, and I'm probably going to be ordering some seeds from the 'net somewhere. I noticed they tend to come in 10 packs, and I'm probably only going to have 3 or 4 plants going at a time. So basically, What would be the best way to store the leftovers for when I need them again, and how long before they 'go bad'? Are they even worth holding onto?

I'm still the pre-pre-pre-planning stages, so thanks in advance for any help. :adore:

i heard you treat them as if they were a plant,as for goin bad i don't know,,,a buddy gave me a jar of ak47 seeds, n over the past three years their germination rate went very low, i'm from pa you ain't weary bout orderin seeds?

Dunlap said:
I'm probably going to start a little grow op when I move at the end of the summer, and I'm probably going to be ordering some seeds from the 'net somewhere. I noticed they tend to come in 10 packs, and I'm probably only going to have 3 or 4 plants going at a time. So basically, What would be the best way to store the leftovers for when I need them again, and how long before they 'go bad'? Are they even worth holding onto?

I'm still the pre-pre-pre-planning stages, so thanks in advance for any help. :adore:

Kept cool and dry, they are good for several years at least (3-4 reliable years then germination rates may start to drop). As an oily seed, they keep fairly well. I've heard stories about 20 year old seeds still having a 5% germination rate.

Some talented growers migh be able to coax decent germination rates out of old seed, and novices might get poor results with fresh seed. As with anything live, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)......

Best of Luck there....

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom