Strain suggestions for Northern Ontario Canada Climate

Ok that’s close to what I have here near Ottawa

For photoperiod plants an 8 week flowering period is average. Allowing for 10 you need to start flowering no later than mid July

If you use the June 21 solstice where days start getting shorter you should have time to finish before it gets too damp.

Auto flowering strains need about 10 to 12 weeks to be certain. So if you started 1st of June you would be good.

Many seed banks have “outdoor” strains so that’s worth a look

I’ve got some Northern Lights both photo and auto going. See journal in my signature. They are an easy to grow strain.

I got them from a seed bank in Montreal to avoid any border issues

I’ve had some issues being outside but all in all it’s going well for my rookie season.

One tip is to match your light schedule when starting inside to what it will be on June 1st.

Having 3 or 4 nodes is good for moving them outside. I lost several little seedlings out in the meadow.

I’m shopping soon for seeds pre October 17.

Thanks for your great reply Oldbear. I did a search and I think that Northern Lights Auto-flower might be a good bet and contain what I need.

Good idea re the light schedule. I think I will order some today as well pre-Oct 17.

So question... if its an auto flower feminized plant and you have a male pop up from another strain, I read it doesn't matter and you don't have to move it away from the NLAF? Is this correct? (I would only keep the male to get seeds, since we are away all winter so I can't clone.)

An AutoFlower plant has ruderalis in its genetic makeup. That’s what makes it grow fast.

I think any cannabis pollen would result in seeds though. I’m not 100% sure on this but I think that’s how mixed strain plants are created.

You can buy regular AutoFlower seeds ( not feminized) which might get you a male. I may try for this next year so I don’t have to buy seeds all the time.

That's what I'm thinking too. I will do an all female garden and a separate garden further away for any boys and just put in a female to get seeds. I did order some Northern Lights AF for next spring. Now I can plant a variety and see what grows best.

Thanks Oldbear.

Not really an indica, but one strain I'm growing this year might work for your climate.

It's a nepalese-lebanese hybrid from Oregon Green Seeds. Grew 3 & all flowered the earliest of any strain I've ever grown (& I only grow photoperiod plants, no autos). One female started showing on 7/15, one male the next day (and promptly chopped) & the third on 7/26.

They've been heavily topped & trained, but I've got no doubt that if I hadn't done that, they'd have hit 6 foot easily.

Here's the earliest bloomer about 2 weeks from chop (which'll be in about 10 days):
Here's her sis, which flowered on 7/26 &'ll get chopped on about 9/20:

I don't know if Oregon Green Seed (OGS) ships internationally, though.

If you do look at their early finishers, pass on by their Amnesia Hashplant, which they say is their fastest finisher, but is NOT TRUE. I grew three & none flowered before 8/14, which is pretty late. I don't think my sole female (2 were males, chopped) will be done before mid-Oct. Most strains I've grown have flowered & finished earlier, so OGS's claims on that strain were BS.

But their nep-lep is def. an early bloomer/fast finisher.

An indica to consider is Critical Kush.
Grew it 2 yrs ago from a clone & it finished around Sept 25. Great yield, very easy plant to grow, good strong THC content, nice smooth taste. It's got a lot going for it & can be found on nearly every seed store site.

I'm not much of an indica smoker, but I'm going to be growing Critical Kush again, because it's got so much going for it.

Back
Top Bottom