Supplies for Screen of Green

Smoketahchoke

Ok currently I'm working on a Mother Plant for what eventually will be a Scog grow and I was hoping a few of you could help me with a few of the finer points on the set up I plan to make.

I currently have a t5 high output ballast that puts out 10k lumens(I know not enough) Please note I am perfectly aware of the fact that hps=awesome but that's not the lamp my GF got me for christmas so It's kind of what I'm stuck with if I want to live in peace.

The mother plant aside the scog grow will be in a light proof "box" measuring 1.2' by 3.5' the root mass will be held in 6" of soil suspended over 2" draining trays, and the chicken screen will be suspended 1' over the plant. I intend to use grow, micro, bloom and gold nectar from the GH nutes(also possibly might use bat guano) at 30% strength. If you need more information on my hypothetical brow box please ask.

Now for the questions I have for the experienced growers here.

1: If I supplement my t5 with CFL's how many lumens should I be aiming for
2: due to the increased heat of cfl's how high should I suspend the lights above the chicken Wire
3: Is 4 plants enough? to few? to many?
4: What kind of easily available soil should I use?(no grow shop close to my residence)
5:How many 130mm Computer fans would this require to keep cool, and in addition to the furnace filter I'll place in front of them what is a good way to keep them light proof?
6:Anything else you think is important that I wasn't smart enough to ask... please throw that in there too.

Thank you for any help you can provide this is my first grow so it will probably go poorly but no good failing because I didn't want to ask questions I actually thought of.

Also once i have the mother plant far enough into the veg phase to start cloning I may put the ScOG part up in a grow journal :peace:

Well I've found answers to most of my questions but I still need to know how far above the chicken wire I should suspend my lights. Also could use tips on any usable soils I could get from Wall Mart or other similar stores(I would prefer something that has some nutrients on it's own but not time released. Just enough to keep it the 2 weeks before flowering starts. Something that drains well but not to well.. you know not sand and not sponge but somewhere in the middle.

Well I've found answers to most of my questions but I still need to know how far above the chicken wire I should suspend my lights. Also could use tips on any usable soils I could get from Wall Mart or other similar stores(I would prefer something that has some nutrients on it's own but not time released. Just enough to keep it the 2 weeks before flowering starts. Something that drains well but not to well.. you know not sand and not sponge but somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, I would say that you should put the lights as close as possible, but not so close that you're burning the tips of your plants.

There's not really a number that you should use, just not too close and not too far.

As for going to Wal-Mart for soil, really? I know it's easier and certainly less of a drive for most people, but I'm not sure the Waltons choose the soil they put in their stores based on how it grows weed.

Or maybe it's just my thing against Wal-Mart. Cheap bastards.

Anywho, I think so long as you choose something high quality - not the cheapest thing on the shelf (and NOT Miracle Grow), you will pretty much find what you need. I grow hydro, so I have no idea what's the best.

Maybe something organic since you want to stick with gentle soil to support the nutes you're using.

And, for my money, adding Advanced Nutrients is the best way to go. Nothing against GH, of course, just have seen better results from AN in my room.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom