Supreme Court

tommysmokes

Sad day for medicinal smokers, the Supreme Court ruled that medicinal marijuana is illegal. It's time to write your legislators.

Wrong.

They didnt rule that medical marijuana is illegal, all they ruled was that the Federal law that makes marijuana illegal supercedes any State laws that say otherwise, and the federal government can prosecute those in violation of the law.

edit: after doing some more reading, I guess your point is valid per se.... in theory they have ruled medical marijuana illegal, but this case was more about state's rights then it was the medicinal use of mj.

Well, they can, but they can go to jail for it now. Thank god my recommendation is good thru June 2006.

Re: Supreme Court - Email from MPP

Marijuana Policy Project Alert June 6, 2005

Supreme Court rules on medical marijuana – tell Congress to act!

Dear Pinch:

In an historic decision today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6 - 3 that the federal government can continue arresting patients who are using medical marijuana legally under state law. However, the decision did not overturn the medical marijuana laws in 10 states, which still protect patients from arrest by state and local police.

The Marijuana Policy Project's grants program provided the majority of the funding for this litigation, which is only the second medical marijuana case ever to reach the Supreme Court.

TAKE ACTION

Now that the Court has ruled, we need you to spring into action. Please click here to send a free fax or e-mail to your U.S. representative to ask him or her to protect medical marijuana patients, since the ball is now in Congress' court. In fact, a medical marijuana amendment is scheduled to come to the House floor for a vote next week. Our goal is to send 10,000 letters to Congress by the time of the vote, but we won't be able to achieve that goal without your help.

Then, please visit www.RaichAction.org to participate in a demonstration outside of your U.S. representative's local district office at noon on Wednesday, June 8.

BACKGROUND

In its ruling in Ashcroft v. Raich ,the Supreme Court said that Congress – not the Court – must be the institution to change federal law to protect medical marijuana patients from arrest.

Writing for the majority, Justice John Paul Stevens said that there are other legal options for patients, "but perhaps even more important than these legal avenues is the democratic process, in which the voices of voters allied with these respondents may one day be heard in the halls of Congress."

By stressing the need for plaintiffs to use the democratic process, the Supreme Court has clearly put the ball in Congress' court. This makes next week's vote in the U.S. House of Representatives all the more significant.

STATE LAWS UNAFFECTED

The ruling does not affect states' ability to pass new medical marijuana laws; states are free to continue enacting laws that protect medical marijuana patients and their providers from arrest and prosecution by state and local law enforcement officials.

What the Supreme Court has done is continue the status quo: Patients in the 10 states with medical marijuana laws are protected under state law but will continue to risk prosecution under federal law. In other words, the Court's decision means that nothing has changed. Click here for more background on the case.

WE NEED YOUR HELP TO PROTECT PATIENTS!

Since it's now clear that patients cannot count on the federal courts for protection, we must push harder than ever for Congress to change federal law.

We need you to lobby Congress to end the federal government's attacks on medical marijuana patients and caregivers. Please visit www.RaichAction.org to learn how you can help pressure Congress to protect medical marijuana patients.

Then – if you agree that sick and suffering patients should not have to live in fear of armed federal agents breaking down the patients' doors to take away their medicine – please ensure that MPP has the necessary funds to push hard this week and next for Congress to pass an amendment that would prevent the DEA from arresting medical marijuana patients or providers who are acting legally under state law.

Thank you,

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.
Take action now!
Ask Congress to protect medical marijuana patients from arrest and jail.

Help fund MPP's projects
MPP hopes that each of the 121,000 subscribers on our national e-mail list will make at least one financial donation to MPP's work in 2005. Please click here to donate now.

MPP will be able to tackle all of the projects in its 2005 strategic plan if you and other allies are generous enough to fund our work.

Popular Links:
- MPP's home page
- Take action!
- Prohibition facts
- State-by-state medical marijuana laws
- MPP news releases
- 2005 strategic plan
- Download hand-outs

MPP e-mail list options:
- Subscribe
- About the Marijuana Policy Project

Small Print ...
You are receiving this e-mail because you subscribed to MPP's e-mail alerts. To unsubscribe, click the link at the bottom of this message. Removal may take up to 48 hours. To contact MPP, please click here or reply to this e-mail. Our mailing address is MPP, P.O. Box 77492, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C. 20013.

infamy said:
so... no more cannibus clubs and recommendations for it from doctors in cali?!?!?!??!?!?!

Nothing's changed, everything is exactly the same, the feds do their thing, the states do theirs..

Write your government representatives!

tommysmokes said:
Sad day for medicinal smokers, the Supreme Court ruled that medicinal marijuana is illegal. It's time to write your legislators.

..Need I say more?

C'mon guys, these are YOUR rights and freedoms!

Every last one of you need to pick up a pen and paper and WRITE IN!! You owe it to Mary Jane!

I love you guys.. :adore:

Keep the letters going! :peace:

SeXy VeXy said:
C'mon guys, these are YOUR rights and freedoms!

Every last one of you need to pick up a pen and paper and WRITE IN!! You owe it to Mary Jane!

Love you too Ms. Vexy, and you're not even American.. :adore:

Federal laws I scoff at.
I'm not going to let a bunch senior citizens dictate my lifesyle or medicinal needs.

No, but unfortunatly they can dictate whether or not you're going to jail.

I think anyone who believes in their rights and disagrees with the gov't, needs to speak up and let it known.

*CHAMELEON* said:
Federal laws I scoff at.
I'm not going to let a bunch senior citizens dictate my lifesyle or medicinal needs.

Is it gonna hurt you to write your reps in Washington?

Do something proactve.. it's like voting. :peace:

SeXy VeXy said:
No, but unfortunatly they can dictate whether or not you're going to jail.

I think anyone who believes in their rights and disagrees with the gov't, needs to speak up and let it known.

And she's from Canada! As you Americans take another hit off your pipe, I hope you feel a little bit of shame...

Write your fucking reps in D.C.! :peace:

I think that any "hardcore" pothead owes it to add their voice to the millions screaming in protest at least once.

For fuck's sake, we still live in a democracy don't we??!! So if the majority of us sits on our asses eating chips and drinking slurpees, what good does that does do the minority of us who are actively pursuing our rights?

SeXy VeXy said:
I think that any "hardcore" pothead owes it to add their voice to the millions screaming in protest at least once.

For fuck's sake, we still live in a democracy don't we??!! So if the majority of us sits on our asses eating chips and drinking slurpees, what good does that does do the minority of us who are actively pursuing our rights?

So very well put Ms SV. So once again fellow loadies..

Re: US - Court Rules Against Pot for Sick People

Be Proactive..

Words On This Site Won't Change Laws..
Words To Your State And Federal Represenatives Will..

Blah, Blah, Blah.. Should have, would have, could have..

Just Write Them!

Marijuana Policy Project -- Inactive Site

NOW!

and thank you for yor support! :adore:

Back
Top Bottom