T5 HO grow light distance for seedlings

Amberd2096

420 Member
Hi first time grower here, i am waiting for my new light to get here in the mail for my autos, all i have right now is a 24w t5 ho 24 inch grow light and i have 2 plants currently sprouted, i was wondering at what distance should i have them from the light fixture for now? Expecting my new light anyday now.

t5s are very gentle and have poor light penetration so keep them as close as possible. like a couple of centimeters is ok. don’t let them touch the bulbs tho, when they are bigger that would be ok but seedlings may dry out if they touch the bulb. other than that as close as possible works with t5s.

t5s are very gentle and have poor light penetration so keep them as close as possible. like a couple of centimeters is ok. don’t let them touch the bulbs tho, when they are bigger that would be ok but seedlings may dry out if they touch the bulb. other than that as close as possible works with t5s.
I keep the t5 2 or 3cm away from the plants. You do want to keep an eye on them, prolonged contact with the bulb will burn leaves. I speak from experience.

Which do you have in the fixture? Is it the Fluorescent bulbs or the LED tubes? LED seems to get hotter with better light penetration.

My cuttings, some with roots and some without, are about 24 inches below the T5 LED tubes.
Its a fluorescent tube light, i have a led quantam board on the way, just wanna make sure they dont stretch for light until i get it

Theyre only 3 days old, and 2 inches in height its my first time growing so i dunno if that is considered stretching, i have them at the height you all suggested from the light

20210415_190720.jpg

20210415_190713.jpg

That is definitely stretching, but it isn't a huge deal at this point. You can just bury that extra stem when you pot it up to a larger container, but I would put the light closer before it stretches so far it can't stand up.
I have them about 2 cms away right now, do you think thats close enough? Should i try and find and extra light? I probably wont have my good light until monday now ugh

2cm should be fine, were they already that close when the seedling stretched so high?
Im not quite sure, i did have them farther away part of the day yesterday and then i had put them closer when i initially thought they had stretched, forgot to measure at that point b4 i put them closer

Im not quite sure, i did have them farther away part of the day yesterday and then i had put them closer when i initially thought they had stretched, forgot to measure at that point b4 i put them closer
I was only asking because if it was stretching while that close, I would be concerned with the quality of the light - it is probably only because it was too far before. If I were you, I would go ahead and fill the rest of that container almost to the top now, so the plant can start building roots there now that it has the light it was looking for.

- (also, that looks really wet, hoping you had just watered it? If not, I would encourage you to read @Emilya 's post How to Water a Potted Plant)

I was only asking because if it was stretching while that close, I would be concerned with the quality of the light - it is probably only because it was too far before. If I were you, I would go ahead and fill the rest of that container almost to the top now, so the plant can start building roots there now that it has the light it was looking for.

- (also, that looks really wet, hoping you had just watered it? If not, I would encourage you to read @Emilya 's post How to Water a Potted Plant)
Ok thanks will do, and yes i had only just watered them a small bit b4 i took the picture...going to see how the next few days go lol i could be back with some more questions thanks again

Since i filled to the top of the container now should i water that part or wait until later since i had watered them previously?

Since i filled to the top of the container now should i water that part or wait until later since i had watered them previously?
If it was my small container I would expect some of the water from the soil mix already there to wick up into the new stuff but I also would put just a teaspoon or two around the edge.

The do not see where you mention what you have in the container. What is the soil or soil mix or is it a mix of coco coir and something?

The fluorescent bulbs tend to not be as strong as a good LED tube so that can cause a bit more stretch. The fluorescent bulbs also tend to loose strength after about a year of use and should be replaced every now and then if they will be used for serious growing. Just something to keep in mind. I keep the older fluorescent bulbs around for emergencies such as when one of the LEDs tubes goes out or for when the fixture will be used for less critical growing sessions.

Its just a mix of pro mix seed starting mix and earth worm castings, those lights are just temporary. Their actually for my fruits and vegetables, i have a led quantum board coming and i thought i would have had it this week, if id have known i would have waited to start my seeds

Theyre only 3 days old, and 2 inches in height its my first time growing so i dunno if that is considered stretching, i have them at the height you all suggested from the light

20210415_190720.jpg

20210415_190713.jpg
whne transplanting the "tall" seedling - transplant with leaving only 1 inch from soil to bottom of seedling

Well here they are so far 11 days old, i put them in bigger pots and im wondering if i should be concerned about that one leaf on my bigger plant and if they look healthy enough

20210424_180829.jpg

20210424_180826.jpg

20210424_180758.jpg

20210424_182819.jpg

20210424_182812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom