Question on fluorescent light distances

bigslick90404

I was hoping to get a resolution on the optimal lighting distance for new seedlings using 4 x 4' T5 fluorescent bulbs. My seeds emerged from the 1" rockwool cubes today and I planted them into their 4" counterpart rockwool cubes and started them on a diluted strength nute drip system.

The colyteon leaves are in place and turning a healthy shade of green and are begging for some light. I watched a documentary where the green dude said "to place the new seedlings 12" under T5's until they are more established and then move the light to within 4". But I have since read a variety of opinions on this spacing, from 2 inches to 12" and am a little lost.

Can anyone please tell me their experience using T5's for fresh seedlings and how close they typically place them. And what are the height intervals if its not a constant distance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was hoping to get a resolution on the optimal lighting distance for new seedlings using 4 x 4' T5 fluorescent bulbs. My seeds emerged from the 1" rockwool cubes today and I planted them into their 4" counterpart rockwool cubes and started them on a diluted strength nute drip system.

The colyteon leaves are in place and turning a healthy shade of green and are begging for some light. I watched a documentary where the green dude said "to place the new seedlings 12" under T5's until they are more established and then move the light to within 4". But I have since read a variety of opinions on this spacing, from 2 inches to 12" and am a little lost.

Can anyone please tell me their experience using T5's for fresh seedlings and how close they typically place them. And what are the height intervals if its not a constant distance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you're running a T5 high output unit like I am you may not want to put a newly sprouted seedling right up against the bulbs because these units produce heat. Now if it were a regular T8 or T12, that would be fine. I keep my seedlings an entire foot from my T5 with no issues at all.

baby_11.JPG

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom