Ted Strickland Supports Medical Marijuana, Silent On Legalization For Personal Use

Jacob Redmond

Ted Strickland said Tuesday he supports legalizing medical marijuana, a departure from his stance as Ohio governor.

"Medical marijuana, in my judgment, is a no-brainer. It should be legalized. The decriminalization of marijuana should occur," Strickland said Tuesday on a Columbus public radio show. "We ought not be putting people in jail for choosing to smoke a joint even though some people think that's the right course of action."

Strickland appeared on WOSU's All Sides show Tuesday after fellow Democratic U.S. Senate candidate P.G. Sittenfeld, a Cincinnati councilman. Toward the end of the show, Strickland was asked whether Ohio should legalize the drug in light of several proposed constitutional amendments.

"I generally am sympathetic with getting rid of laws that I think have no useful purpose. I also believe that it is prudent for us that since we have states where marijuana has been legalized, to look at that experience and allow that experiment to inform our decision for what is best for the state of Ohio," Strickland said in response.

Strickland's comments on marijuana are a change from his position as governor in 2010.

Commenting at that time on a bill legalizing medical marijuana, Strickland spokeswoman Amanda Wurst said, "The governor feels that the predominant opinion of the medical community is that there are existing medicines available that provide appropriate patient care. So based on that opinion and the current research, he feels this type of legislation doesn't seem necessary or warranted."

Strickland said Tuesday he was not prepared to comment on legalizing marijuana for personal use.

Strickland spokesman Dennis Willard said since 2010, several medical professionals, including the U.S. surgeon general, have acknowledged marijuana can be helpful for some medical problems. Willard and his Columbus public relations firm are also working on the ResponsibleOhio campaign.

ResponsibleOhio wants to put a constitutional amendment before voters this fall that would establish a legal marijuana market fueled by 10 commercial growing sites promised to campaign backers.

13007.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ted Strickland supports medical marijuana, silent on legalization for personal use | cleveland.com
Author: Jackie Borchardt
Photo Credit: Gus Chan
Website: Cleveland OH Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - cleveland.com

Back
Top Bottom