Temperature Alarm

Rheaun

I'm monitoring the temperature on an exhaust duct, just looking for a beeping sound if temperature is high.
Any way to make a simple device that just sounds an alarm at a set temperature? Hack a cheap thermostat?
I'm using an ITC Temperature Controller but want to put it to better use and can't find a cheaper temp alarm.

Just need any temperature sensor that'll output some kind of voltage under the conditions you specify, a relay that both triggers off of the signal voltage provided by said sensor and powers whatever device you like at the power or requires, and that device. E.g., temperature sensor hits set temperature, outputs 12VDC, your 120VAC relay activates when it is receiving 12VDC, causing the desk lamp plugged into it to light up (and remain on as long as the relay is receiving its trigger voltage/ signal). Relays are very useful components - using one means that you don't have to worry about finding a temperature sensor that is capable of directly powering whatever it is that you want to use to make you aware of the temperature condition.

If Radio Shack hadn't gone tits-up, you could walk in with a twenty dollar bill and told the employee what you wanted to accomplish, and maybe escaped with a few coins left over, lol. Instead, try using a web search engine. Search for cheap temperature sensor, or how to build a cheap temperature alarm, something like that. You'll find things from a basic "light or sound reaction when set temperature threshold is reached" to cheap DIY setups that notify you directly via your cell phone or other WiFi-connected device. The majority of the builds will be fifth- or sixth- grade science project level of complexity. And many will have corresponding YouTube videos showing the process.

Here's one of about a million:

Be aware that I'm currently using a small- screen device (cell phone) and, therefore, didn't bother to check to see whether the software referenced "calls home" to a server located in a less than friendly nation-state, will snoop the data on your device, order 600 pizzas using your credit card, et cetera; the link is merely for example purposes (although it may serve your needs and be perfectly harmless, IDK). . . .

Just need any temperature sensor that'll output some kind of voltage under the conditions you specify, a relay that both triggers off of the signal voltage provided by said sensor and powers whatever device you like at the power or requires, and that device. E.g., temperature sensor hits set temperature, outputs 12VDC, your 120VAC relay activates when it is receiving 12VDC, causing the desk lamp plugged into it to light up (and remain on as long as the relay is receiving its trigger voltage/ signal). Relays are very useful components - using one means that you don't have to worry about finding a temperature sensor that is capable of directly powering whatever it is that you want to use to make you aware of the temperature condition.

If Radio Shack hadn't gone tits-up, you could walk in with a twenty dollar bill and told the employee what you wanted to accomplish, and maybe escaped with a few coins left over, lol. Instead, try using a web search engine. Search for cheap temperature sensor, or how to build a cheap temperature alarm, something like that. You'll find things from a basic "light or sound reaction when set temperature threshold is reached" to cheap DIY setups that notify you directly via your cell phone or other WiFi-connected device. The majority of the builds will be fifth- or sixth- grade science project level of complexity. And many will have corresponding YouTube videos showing the process.

Here's one of about a million:

Be aware that I'm currently using a small- screen device (cell phone) and, therefore, didn't bother to check to see whether the software referenced "calls home" to a server located in a less than friendly nation-state, will snoop the data on your device, order 600 pizzas using your credit card, et cetera; the link is merely for example purposes (although it may serve your needs and be perfectly harmless, IDK). . . .
There's an electronics store I can go to but last time I asked him about a 20$ hack the guy wasn't helpful. I want to find a cheap thermostat that can relay a low voltage to either 12 volt or battery speaker alarm but looks like it's the same price and easier to go with an Inkbird.

Back
Top Bottom