Staggered ventilation - Timers versus thermostat

TheFertilizer

Does anyone use thermostat to regulate ventilation instead of a timer? I am wondering how to get the thermostat to still kick in at night when the temperature stays low, otherwise the plants will just sit in a stuffy tent.

I am trying to do an active exhaust/passive intake setup so I think the thermostat would be better for cooling obviously, but the timed ventilation would be better.

So maybe I could get an active intake fan that only runs at night in specific intervals.

The other option is a digit thermostat with night time settings, but then I would still have to predict via temperature when to turn fans on for ventilation and that seems backward.

I just don't want to run the fans 24/7 to extend life span and save electricity. Just wondering what others do, versus just leave them running.

I have a thermostat controlled exhaust fan but I don't grow in a tent it's an attic I converted but the exaust fan kicked on at around 80 but would not shut off till around 60 had to take it off and just use a switch but if u could find one that I could control the shut off on the cool side u will be good

I found one called a Duct Stat, it had a 3 or 7 degree differential. So if I set it to come on when it got higher than 70, it would run until it dropped to 67. I also found a digit one but it wasn't as clear if you could set your own differential.

If I had the flaps of the tent sealed up, and the intake fan was on, wouldn't it still go out the exhaust as the path of least resistance? Conversely, if the intake fan was off and the exhaust came on, wouldn't there still be passive intake via pressure differential?

That I don't know i don't have any experience growing in tents just outdoor this is my first indoor and I have been fighting temp regulation for about a week I think the device that I can say on and off temps would work well but I am unsure of the air flow situation

Can't recall the rule or the equations, but 3-5 times per minute is great. A quick search will find all the particulars. Glad to help if that fails you.

To put ourselves in their shoes; It pays to recall that just as we wouldn't enjoy sleeping face down on our pillows, nor would our plants care to be slowly suffocated around the clock.

The importance of fresh air in the growspace cannot possibly be overstated. Although we can't see it, it's that huge space between a harvest and a great harvest.

Once dialed, my growspace and therefrom were significantly improved.

Back
Top Bottom