Temps and Humidity In Deep Water Culture

Roseman (or anyone else knowledgeable)

In flowering..how low of humidity...is TOO low?

At the 2nd week of flowering I'm sitting at a steady 20%..but have the ability to raise it via humidifier or wet towels...just need to know if I should!!

Thanks!

Ooooook answered my own question....according to Cervante's bible its suposed to be 40-60% in flowering..turned on the humidifer and got a wet towel out, and misted the air...already at 30% and climbing!

wowtestdrive,
I think high humidity in Flowering is debatable and not desirable.
If you do have 40% to 60% in Flowering, be darn sure there is an oscilating fan on them 24/7. I subscribe to the theory of 50% + humidity in VEGGING, but 20% to 30% in Flowering, to be sure I avoid Bud Mold. AND, I never msit or use a humidifier in Flowering. I am a big coward when it comes to even thinking about Bud Mold. And you do not know you got it, until you got it, then it is too late.

wowtestdrive, since you are already 2 weeks in I'd forget it. But the first two weeks of 12/12 are really an extension of veg and higher humidity 40-50 might help the plants. But beyond 2 weeks in, I'd take it as low as I could get it.

By the way I tried something new. I took two 3 quart pans and stood a large roll of absorbent paper towels in each. Then started pouring water over the tops until the rolls were saturated and the pans were full. The paper towels wick and hold water better than newspapers. If they are near fans they are like additional humidifiers.

Roseman,

I found another way to help raise UP the humidity. The lids for most paint buckets have a recessed lip all the way around (lids at Lowes have 'em)....makes a great trough for holding water, I still roll up wash clothes like cigars and put one on the lip, but I also fill the recessed lip with water and the wash cloth also acts like a wick....
IMG_25281.JPG

wowtestdrive, since you are already 2 weeks in I'd forget it. But the first two weeks of 12/12 are really an extension of veg and higher humidity 40-50 might help the plants. But beyond 2 weeks in, I'd take it as low as I could get it.

By the way I tried something new. I took two 3 quart pans and stood a large roll of absorbent paper towels in each. Then started pouring water over the tops until the rolls were saturated and the pans were full. The paper towels wick and hold water better than newspapers. If they are near fans they are like additional humidifiers.

Update: I'm getting more water into the air with these than with the humidifier. One roll of towels is putting through a gallon a day easily. Downside is I think they work better when you frequently manually pour water over them, something not everyone would be able to do.

How does the paper towel roll hold up after a few days MoonRock? Is it something that has to be changed out pretty frequently, or does it hold form pretty well and deteriorate rather slowly?

Update: I'm getting more water into the air with these than with the humidifier. One roll of towels is putting through a gallon a day easily. Downside is I think they work better when you frequently manually pour water over them, something not everyone would be able to do.

I am now doing this same thing in my grow area. Great tip! Thanks Moonrock!+rep

I think I'm going to steadily decrease my temp in my flowering room over the course of the next week or two, up until harvest. See if i can trigger a ripening mechanism in the plant. I would assume it would kick the plant into overdrive swelling up with resin. Not too cold. I'm running at about 75 or so now. I'll slowly dial it back to about 55 or so over the course of the next two weeks. See If I get any response.

I think I'm going to steadily decrease my temp in my flowering room over the course of the next week or two, up until harvest. See if i can trigger a ripening mechanism in the plant. I would assume it would kick the plant into overdrive swelling up with resin. Not too cold. I'm running at about 75 or so now. I'll slowly dial it back to about 55 or so over the course of the next two weeks. See If I get any response.

I have read in a dozen books, the best way to increase trichomes and speed up flowering is to cool the area to less than 75 to the low 70s.

I have read in a dozen books, the best way to increase trichomes and speed up flowering is to cool the area to less than 75 to the low 70s.

I know when I was running closer to 70* last harvest they purpled up around week 6. Kind of earlier then normal. Interested to see what these strains do color wise in the next couple weeks.

Good thread. Things are coming together in my mind so I can get my grow going. I like to do my homework before jumping into a new project. Unfortunately I'm also getting impatient to get started - must be all the excitement of learning.

Achmed!!!

I used the test strips on my first two grows. They taught me you don't have to be precise to one/tenth point either.

(Next time I run into him, I 'm going to tell Al Gore what you said about his invention.)

Roseman

I new to this forum but I can't thanks enough for the information you have put out and thanks to all of those respond with great infor also.

I saw my first Hydro grow about 25 years ago and the guy was really growing tomatoes.

wowtestdrive,
I think high humidity in Flowering is debatable and not desirable.
If you do have 40% to 60% in Flowering, be darn sure there is an oscilating fan on them 24/7. I subscribe to the theory of 50% + humidity in VEGGING, but 20% to 30% in Flowering, to be sure I avoid Bud Mold. AND, I never msit or use a humidifier in Flowering. I am a big coward when it comes to even thinking about Bud Mold. And you do not know you got it, until you got it, then it is too late.

:thanks:

Roseman for all the great info here!

I agree about high humidity (as much as possible for clones, and 60% or more if possible for veg) but IDK about flowering, I like to keep my RH up to avoid transpiration stress, usually in the 30-45% range. I've always been amazed at how much less water is taken up by the roots when the stoma are able to open up and get a large dose of their daily water from the air itself.

I agree mold is a crop killer for sure and insidious to say the least. I find really high ventilation levels help -- I try to fully cycle the full volume of any space in about 1 minute, with 2 minutes being the maximum for me, including about 20% loss off the top for efficiency of fans versus what CFM amount they claim to move, etc... That's well above what many people would feel is sufficient, but to date I've not had any problems with *too much* air flow, other than drying out clones a bit.

For my money nothing beats digital humidity monitors, they are not cheap for the beginner perhaps but I feel the investment is paid off immediately in the ability to actually watch your RH change as you change in things around. Of course, I have been accused of paying way too much attention to my RH monitors... but that is a story for another day. :rollit:

:thanks:

Roseman for all the great info here!

I agree about high humidity (as much as possible for clones, and 60% or more if possible for veg) but IDK about flowering, I like to keep my RH up to avoid transpiration stress, usually in the 30-45% range. I've always been amazed at how much less water is taken up by the roots when the stoma are able to open up and get a large dose of their daily water from the air itself.

I agree mold is a crop killer for sure and insidious to say the least. I find really high ventilation levels help -- I try to fully cycle the full volume of any space in about 1 minute, with 2 minutes being the maximum for me, including about 20% loss off the top for efficiency of fans versus what CFM amount they claim to move, etc... That's well above what many people would feel is sufficient, but to date I've not had any problems with *too much* air flow, other than drying out clones a bit.

For my money nothing beats digital humidity monitors, they are not cheap for the beginner perhaps but I feel the investment is paid off immediately in the ability to actually watch your RH change as you change in things around. Of course, I have been accused of paying way too much attention to my RH monitors... but that is a story for another day. :rollit:

You're right and you're a much more advanced grower than I am. I'm just a plain ole "growing a pound in the closet simple, fast and easy" kind of grower.

Back
Top Bottom