The 4x4 Grow Tent Club

Hey growers,

I am a new comer to the growing community. Going to be starting my first garden here in about a month. It is going to be a simple LED light set up. Going to be growing in soil for my first couple runs but eventually plan to start a hydroponic garden.

I want to run four Guerrilla Glue plants, each occupying a square foot of the room with the use of topping and supercropping. I will also be using the screen of green technique or scrog.

The only thing that I can not seem to make up my mind is on the most important part of any grow room.
The light. I am trying to find a light that can adequately fill the tent with light for under $700. If you have any information or links with information please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks.
RioRiver

You could always go HPS for under 700 but I'm guessing you want to go LED. There lots of choices but I honestly believe Mars Hydro has the best balance of quality and price when it comes to Leds. Check out the 1200 and 1600. Decently priced and they work well.

Mars , Led grow light , Mars Hydro

Disclaimer: I've never used a LED before but I was interested at one point and did tons of reading on the subject.

Hello to all my growing brothers and sisters!
Soon to be first time grower here. I am planning on doing a 4x4 tent with 4 five gallon smart pots, vegged for a month.
I am considering doing a 1000w blockbuster air cooled hood with an 8in vent. Then I would use a 8 inch 745 cfm Hurricane inline fan with insulated ducting to cool the light. I was thinking of using a separate 8in fan and carbon filter to exhaust the tent as well. I am not sure if I will have access to a basement so I might have to use a spare bedroom and would want to make sure I don't have heat issues. It can get hot here in Mi in the summer. Do you experienced growers reckon that will be adequate heat management? Please advise! Or just say hi!
Walrus

What's up Walrus and welcome to 420 magazine.

When I was a new grower looking for equipment I had a similar planed setup as you and changed a few details and learned a ton with the small amount of experience I gained. 1000 watts bulbs make a lot of heat and need a nice distance between the lamp and the plants and it's definitely tuff to control in a 4x4... ever thought of using a 600 instead? Also keep in mind that most grow tents have vents built for 6 inch ducting and wlli have to be modified to fit 8 inch ducting. Your plans for ventilation sound great just make sure you exhaust that hot humid air outside. I grow during the summer in California with 100 degree temps or higher out side and a window ac for the room your tent is in is a must for me. Running my Window ac to keep the room at 74 degrees left my tent at 81 degrees with lights on.

Thanks for the advice and response Twox!
The tent I am looking at is an Apollo Horticulture 48”x48”x80”. They do have 6 and 8inch vents that are closed by drawstrings. 8in just seems like it would allow more airflow thus better cooling. But if people know otherwise, please respond with your own experiences. I have thought about using a 600 and i know people get great yields with them. I just figure that a 1000w will yield more bud. I am looking at a purple reign dimable ballast, so I could run the 1000w bulb at 600w if need be. My plan is to do my first run mainlining the four plants and my second run mainlining and scrogging so that I can experience both techniques. Even if I lose two feet of height in the grow tent due to the smart pots and the hood, I should still have roughly 4.5 feet to play with. Not ideal, but If I use the right strains I think it will work.
A window ac unit is probably going to make its way into my shopping cart. I wish I could avoid the extra $100-200, but its best to be safe than sorry. I am absolutely planning on venting outside the room with the tent. Most likely to the outside during the summer and then to the inside of house during the winter.
Thoughts?

Walrus

I'm just getting into the indoor game. Been outdoors for years, but trailcams are everywhere, and the kids are grown now so moved indoors. Just purchased a 4×4 and a Mars II 1200 and all the fixings. Gonna get it together this weekend. Seeds are getting as we speak.

We just bought over 35 acres when we moved here. One of the first things we heard (from complete strangers mind you but then are there really any strangers in the south?) is about a guy getting his outdoor grow busted because trespassers found it and told the cops. They put up trail cams after and caught him checking on it. Trespassers that had no legal right on his property. That happens here, you get shot or eaten by my dogs. I will also take cams down that are on my property if they were put up without our consent. We deal with a lot of hunters here in our neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey growers,

I am a new comer to the growing community. Going to be starting my first garden here in about a month. It is going to be a simple LED light set up. Going to be growing in soil for my first couple runs but eventually plan to start a hydroponic garden.

I want to run four Guerrilla Glue plants, each occupying a square foot of the room with the use of topping and supercropping. I will also be using the screen of green technique or scrog.

The only thing that I can not seem to make up my mind is on the most important part of any grow room.
The light. I am trying to find a light that can adequately fill the tent with light for under $700. If you have any information or links with information please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks.
RioRiver

Are you dead set on LEDS or are you open to MH/HPS lights?

Thanks for the advice and response Twox!
The tent I am looking at is an Apollo Horticulture 48"x48"x80". They do have 6 and 8inch vents that are closed by drawstrings. 8in just seems like it would allow more airflow thus better cooling. But if people know otherwise, please respond with your own experiences. I have thought about using a 600 and i know people get great yields with them. I just figure that a 1000w will yield more bud. I am looking at a purple reign dimable ballast, so I could run the 1000w bulb at 600w if need be. My plan is to do my first run mainlining the four plants and my second run mainlining and scrogging so that I can experience both techniques. Even if I lose two feet of height in the grow tent due to the smart pots and the hood, I should still have roughly 4.5 feet to play with. Not ideal, but If I use the right strains I think it will work.
A window ac unit is probably going to make its way into my shopping cart. I wish I could avoid the extra $100-200, but its best to be safe than sorry. I am absolutely planning on venting outside the room with the tent. Most likely to the outside during the summer and then to the inside of house during the winter.
Thoughts?

Walrus

We have the same size tent as you, we have 600w dimmable HID lights. Our exhaust fan is a 6" to attach to the air cooled hood (6" opening). It exhausts right out into our room, no window or anything. We do leave that bedroom door open so it doesn't overheat. The intake fan is 8" and we used hard ducting from the window into the tent.
420-magazine-mobile1467111260.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1765483180.jpg
420-magazine-mobile800586281.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1966697363.jpg

420-magazine-mobile861585336.jpg
this is my first grow in a tent. 4x4x6.5 Started with 4 bag seeds in a 2'x2' area so I limited how many I planted wish I had started more. 2 weeks into 12/12. One ended up male he's now feeding the worms.
420-magazine-mobile243326900.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1920274841.jpg
my new seeds sour D I started one seed 2 days ago an already poking her head out :D Gona lst/fem her an see what I can get out of a tent this size with 1 plant

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the reply Livinlife!
That's a pretty nice setup you have there.
I appreciate the pictures. Even putting up a window box over the window might be a bit too handy man for me, but maybe my father would do it Haha

I think that tent may get a bit tight Rastapops. I think 5 gallon soft pots are around 12-14" in diameter, so that leave you around 1"-2.5" between each pot.

going to provide the two starting rows 0weeks -6weeks are goinng to be very tight together to make more room for the other 2 rows what u think now?

going to provide the two starting rows 0weeks -6weeks are goinng to be very tight together to make more room for the other 2 rows what u think now?

I think it's going to be very tight. You can fit the pots in the tent, but your plants will likely be overlapping the boundaries of the pots, so it will be tight in there. Definitely interested to see how it goes for you though.

What was the total weight accumulated from these 4 plants? How does it weigh next to an HPS. I want to believe in LEDs so badly. I really want to beat the electricity bill and heat but I don't want to lose out on tooo much weight.

My question, is it possible without spending over $500 to have an LED light that will produce within some sort of range of a hps? They say .5 grams per wattage on HID systems. What would be accurate on saying what "potentially" you would get with an LED?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

What was the total weight accumulated from these 4 plants? How does it weigh next to an HPS. I want to believe in LEDs so badly. I really want to beat the electricity bill and heat but I don't want to lose out on tooo much weight.

My question, is it possible without spending over $500 to have an LED light that will produce within some sort of range of a hps? They say .5 grams per wattage on HID systems. What would be accurate on saying what "potentially" you would get with an LED?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Go watch LiquidJade on YouTube. It's a week by week grow channel with a lot of information. He's running a 4x4 with a single LED and harvesting over a pound.

Alright everyone my garden should be coming together within the month. My 4x4 is on the way, but my Mars II 1200 is on backorder! I'm going to running a couple clones from a friends garden my first run but have a pack of Fire OG kush I'm waiting to pop till I know what I am doing!

Anybody here running the Mars II 1200? Any notes or hints would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom