The DIY COB Addiction

You must wire in parallel, not series.. All positives together, all negatives together..
420-magazine-mobile2095677424.jpg

Then it will work.. That driver is constant voltage.
185-48

Everything looks good but the multimeter must be on the ac side.. As long as u got the ac version.. Which i would as it gives u total draw from the wall.. Cheers..

Ahh...yes. Thanks JC!!

I DID use your diagram...and still didn't get it quite right. I will correct that.

Don't really know anything about the multimeter. I figured it was the same one that I saw you post just the other day.

A lot of great information here. I've been looking at doing 9 cxb3590 in a 3x3 tent at 1.4 amps. The cost is high, but I understand they are high up in efficiency. What would you guys recommend? I run 36 plants in a 3x3 ebb and flow.

420-magazine-mobile1835678843.jpg

Woohoo we have light...thanks bunches Jimmy!
Why would CobKits tell me series instead of parallel?? Is one of the cobs going to different??
All this lighting stuff is still foggy to this newbie
Usually we use constant current drivers and series, not constant voltage and parallel. Why have you bought that driver?

Usually we use constant current drivers and series, not constant voltage and parallel. Why have you bought that driver?
Constant voltage drivers are much better suited for 50v or 72v chips.. You can run more per driver and dont have huge amounts of voltage in your lines..

Constant current drivers fit well with 36v chips..

420-magazine-mobile1835678843.jpg

Woohoo we have light...thanks bunches Jimmy!
Why would CobKits tell me series instead of parallel?? Is one of the cobs going to different??
All this lighting stuff is still foggy to this newbie
There ya go bud.. U will be happy with those.. Actually more efficient than crees over 60w.. Cobby is a good dude, must have had an off day.. He's usually pretty sharp.. You could step up to a 240-48 one day and get 80w per chip... If u ever feel the need.. Could use that driver and build a veg light...
Cheers, happy cobbing....

Hi have started to build my own cob grow lights as well. My question is I have been going with this method, of how many cobs I can go with one led driver. This is the method, I would ÷ the amount of watts per driver to the voltage of the cob. I do 286w÷ 28.6v = 10 cobs. Is this a good start.?

A lot of great information here. I've been looking at doing 9 cxb3590 in a 3x3 tent at 1.4 amps. The cost is high, but I understand they are high up in efficiency. What would you guys recommend? I run 36 plants in a 3x3 ebb and flow.
You can do 9 if u like.. 8 would probably be enough.. The newest gen citi's and veros are very close in efficiency, even better at certain amperages.. And much cheaper.. Check cobkits.. He has citizens but no veros... Good prices.. The 1818's are 50v chips and are very close to the cree's and actually better above 60w.. If u want a power house i would get a hlg600-48, a or b depending on how u want to dim, and 8x 1818's.. You can have upto 75w per cob. 60-600w on tap..
Unless u just want to say u have crees, then yes u can run 8-9 at 50w or less and have good efficiency.. But only 400-450w... Choice is yours buddy..
Good thing now a days is there is tons of choice..
Cheers

Hi have started to build my own cob grow lights as well. My question is I have been going with this method, of how many cobs I can go with one led driver. This is the method, I would ÷ the amount of watts per driver to the voltage of the cob. I do 286w÷ 28.6v = 10 cobs. Is this a good start.?
Check the forward voltage of the driver. Take that number and divide it buy your cobs voltage at whatever current you are going to run them at.. That will give u cobs per driver.. How many chips? What type? Which driver?

36 plants in a 3*3?????? 4/sq/ft??
Tight......

420-magazine-mobile1660393855.jpg
listed on every driver is the output voltage. This is the maximum voltage that a driver can accommodate. In this case 190v at 1.05A.
Next select your chip and use the charts to find out how many volts it uses at 1.05A. Let's say 36v.
Divide the available voltage by the chip voltage..
190÷36= 5.27

This driver will hold 5 COBs.

420-magazine-mobile1660393855.jpg
listed on every driver is the output voltage. This is the maximum voltage that a driver can accommodate. In this case 190v at 1.05A.
Next select your chip and use the charts to find out how many volts it uses at 1.05A. Let's say 36v.
Divide the available voltage by the chip voltage..
190÷36= 5.27

This driver will hold 5 COBs.
Thats pretty much what I said. You just used different numbers. hahahaha

Check the forward voltage of the driver. Take that number and divide it buy your cobs voltage at whatever current you are going to run them at.. That will give u cobs per driver.. How many chips? What type? Which driver?
Thats what I was asking hahaha all yous had to do was say yes thats right hahahaha.

Solution for limiting potentiometer max output value.
Won't overheat with one of these installed and calibrated.
Eliminate dead travel.
420-magazine-mobile61082395.jpg

Update. Trimmer did not work. I'll discuss it with my electronics store guy.

Hey JJ...

I assume you have ordered heat sinks from Northern Grow Lights in the past? If so, do you happen to know if I should be expecting any extra taxes and duties with shipping to Canada?

Thanks!

Yes. You'll get a bill from FedEx.
I buy 2 cases at a time. My bill is usually $70.

Back
Top Bottom