The DIY COB Addiction

@JimmyJames905 First post. Been here for a while. I need your help. Been out of the loop for a year and a half. Wanted to start LED then, and slipped. Anyways. Question. I have an area of 4'5 x 4'5. I want to throw the 29 Se's all over the place. 16 with a six inch distance from edge. If I can fit more, help me with the setup please. I need 4 of these. My question is... Why would I go with the 1750's? I do not understand how that wavelength would be better for flower rather than a 3000. Question 2. Would it not be better to have 3000's surround the perimeter, two fives in the middle, two 3500's to accompany, and add some growmau5 far left plates at the end? Didn't know where to ask the questions.

Hang on, if I've got a 10k resistor in series with a 94k potentiometer I've got a 10k-104k resistance range so would that allow me the maximum output from the driver?

You need resistor if want to dim to zero. Drivers are set up 1-10. The resistor will allow you to dim to off. I think that's right, I know how it works but shitty at explaining it

The resistor will stop u from dimming to 0. Cobs dont like to run under very, very low amperage. The resistor in series will aleays show resistance to the driver so it never dims to off, or the range that could damge the chip.. The resistor is a little safety feature so we dont screw up our cobs.. And yes caconym, in theory it should add your resistance in a series circuit.. Wire it up and see.. Are you gonna use a watt meter of some sort? This will be the easiest way to see what your pulling..
Cheers

@JimmyJames905 First post. Been here for a while. I need your help. Been out of the loop for a year and a half. Wanted to start LED then, and slipped. Anyways. Question. I have an area of 4'5 x 4'5. I want to throw the 29 Se's all over the place. 16 with a six inch distance from edge. If I can fit more, help me with the setup please. I need 4 of these. My question is... Why would I go with the 1750's? I do not understand how that wavelength would be better for flower rather than a 3000. Question 2. Would it not be better to have 3000's surround the perimeter, two fives in the middle, two 3500's to accompany, and add some growmau5 far left plates at the end? Didn't know where to ask the questions.
16 chips over 20sq/ft will be tons of light bro.. I wouldn't mix chips, if at all possible.. If u do, try to keep the spectrums close.. I would do all chips 3000 or 3500k 90cri and be done with it.
You will have a killer all around light bud.
Cheers

I might have been looking at it wrong way. Right now my setup has no resistors, if I turn all the way down I'm pulling 10 to 17 watts at wall and cobs are very dim but not off. When I throw resistor in, it dims down to off. I've been too lazy to do math and it's been 25 years since went over it in school. Now only time I use a resistor is at end of the line in a fire alarm system lol

I've ended up getting a 15k resistor to wire in series with the ~94k pot, I reckon this should give me 15-100% output? I should have a max. resistance of 109k so similar to a true 100k pot and 10k resistor.

I hadn't originally planned to use a power meter but I'm curious now, what's the standard way of doing it? If I were to use an in-line LCD meter would it be better on the DC or AC side of the driver? Not seeing DC meters rated over 100V.

It's easier to get ac meter, hard to find the right D.C. Meter. The ac is simpler to wire up
Cheers think I'll probably get one now they're fairly cheap and it'll make my grow space look more like a spaceship (because that's more important than knowing how many watt I'm drawing )

I might have been looking at it wrong way. Right now my setup has no resistors, if I turn all the way down I'm pulling 10 to 17 watts at wall and cobs are very dim but not off. When I throw resistor in, it dims down to off. I've been too lazy to do math and it's been 25 years since went over it in school. Now only time I use a resistor is at end of the line in a fire alarm system lol
Ahhh good old fire alarm loops.. Been awhile since ive had fun with those. Always liked the end of the big tower job, sitting in a nice warm FA room terminating and testing loops for a week or 2.. Good old days..

I dont recommend leaving your cobs on very long at that extremely low level buck.. If u search around riu theres a few threads on the need for a resistor on the dimming circuit and the damage that can be caused by running them that low current.. Better safe then sorry..
Cheers

Ahhh good old fire alarm loops.. Been awhile since ive had fun with those. Always liked the end of the big tower job, sitting in a nice warm FA room terminating and testing loops for a week or 2.. Good old days..

I dont recommend leaving your cobs on very long at that extremely low level buck.. If u search around riu theres a few threads on the need for a resistor on the dimming circuit and the damage that can be caused by running them that low current.. Better safe then sorry..
Cheers

I figured I didn't really need a resistor because I'll never dim down below 50%. I hate fire alarm, damn addressable end of line, dampers, heat detectors, simple but aggravating

How many cobs per panel? 1 big panel or 2/3 smaller ones? You just never stop eh buck... Hahaha.. Thats why its called the diy addiction.. Im constantly re-evaluating my system.. Whats next? Whats next?
Though im. Pretty satisfied now..
Got some rocks on the way..

420-magazine-mobile1338373614.jpg

420-magazine-mobile201034469.jpg

Got me some new green planet nutes..
Will try next run, everyone at my local hydro shop has changed to these.. The duel fuel u run start to finish and is super concentrated.. 1-2ml per litre.. Crazy..
420-magazine-mobile1986286727.jpg

Cheers

16 chips over 20sq/ft will be tons of light bro.. I wouldn't mix chips, if at all possible.. If u do, try to keep the spectrums close.. I would do all chips 3000 or 3500k 90cri and be done with it.
You will have a killer all around light bud.
Cheers

I am really bad at communication. My understanding is that people are mixing up chip's all over the place. Let me see if I can explain this better. It seems that at this point, I do not understand why some of you guys are putting up 1750's. It almost looks like a guessing game with those chips. Do I want those for a full bloom run or just have it setup like this picture? 6 inches from the wall and 14 on center from there. I want it 12, but can not figure out how to get it. My other question is... with the vero 29's, is everyone's opinion that it the best way is still 12" on center? I'm trying to catch up on the whole LED stuff. Like I said.. I've been out of the loop for a year or so, and I'm still trying to catch up on the lingo.
lights50.jpg

Back
Top Bottom