Time For Missouri To Decide On Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

In our time of social change, the use of medical marijuana has come to the forefront. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia now allow physicians to recommend the use of cannabis for their patients with a variety of medical illnesses and symptoms. New Approach Missouri is an organization which is drafting a constitutional amendment to be placed on the November ballot to allow this to be legal in the state. It is time for Missourians to decide.

In my 35-year practice of medical oncology, I encountered many patients who, on their own, used marijuana to ease pain, depression, loss of appetite and nausea from chemotherapy. Most were reluctant to even tell me of their use because of legal concerns. This represented a breach of trust between the patient and physician. But those who did “confess” reported definite relief of symptoms. Of course, this is anecdotal and and not a randomized clinical trial. Nevertheless, many physicians report similar findings; these reports cannot be ignored.

There is also reported benefit to some patients with MS, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and PTSD. Pain relief with marijuana can significant. Conventional medicine treats with opioids which have an addictive potential which far exceeds that of cannabis. Those who oppose medical marijuana can find support on the Internet. For me, the real question is what is best for the patient. I therefore lend my support to the proposed amendment which respects the ability of the physician to legally help his patient with the goal of relieving pain and suffering.

iStock-MMJ-Rx.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Time For Missouri To Decide On Medical Marijuana
Author: Bob Carolla
Photo Credit: iStock

Back
Top Bottom