Top leaves are yellowing in flowering

johnehazeharvester

First this is my first grow. I have no experience at all.

I am growing 3 Auto Haze plants. I think I am nearing harvest.
Many Trichomes appear cloudy. None are amber.
2023_01_21_09_59_27_510.jpg

They sprouted 11/3/22, so I am about 11 weeks out

A few days ago I noticed light green leaves on two of the plants and darker on the other.
PXL_20230121_205604008.jpg

I posted this as a question.
Dark versus light green leaves
Some thought it was a phenotype difference.

It seems there is a nutrient problem.
Now one of the plants seems to be much more affected than the other one. The other plant looks is getting a bit lighter.

Watering has went well.
Ph around 6.7
Rh 45-55%
Temp day 72-80 night 62-70F

Soil is a mix of perlite and used flower soil and Nature's Living Soil
I use Fox Farms Trio about half recommended dose.
I have supplemented with 1/2 tsp Epson salt, tbsp wood Ash and 2ml Mg/cal/ gallon for a few feeds during flower.

Yellowing is mostly upper leaves and some mid leaves. Yellowing migrate from tips to base of leaf
Minor burning on the tips.
Stalks are purple but I noticed this months ago and this may be genetics.
PXL_20230121_123525239.jpg

PXL_20230121_123248243.jpg
PXL_20230121_140249950.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230121_140433689.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ignore curling of sugar leaves top cola. These also had light stress.

My thoughts are
  1. possible Phosphorus excess. I use 2-3 ml/ gallon of PH down which is Phosphoric Acid.
I also gave them about 4 feeds which included tbsp of wood ash in water. This is supposedly 10% Potash which should give K+ and P+. I did read that Phosphorus excess is rare and it is hard to give too much.

1. ? K+ excess for same reason. Maybe the Ash.
    1. Lower leafs I think should be involved and are not+
  2. Sulfur deficiency
    1. I have supplement w Epson salt so I doubt this and also the yellowing appears to begin near tips of leaves and migrate back the opposite of this appearance
    2. Maybe I have a nutrient lock out from salts but I only feed 1/2 dose fox farms 1 or 3 x a week

So far I have done a larger watering with no nutrients to help flush anything.
I didn’t do a real flush because I'm not set up for managing all the run off water and don’t want to lose all nutrients in the soil but I very well may be wrong.
I just gave them all a feed with the recommended Fox farm nutrients which is twice the concentration they normally get.

Any one with any ideas?

Do I really need to do a flush with gallons of water and get a shop vac?

Should I ride it out?

Should I harvest soon?

2023_01_21_09_59_27_510.jpg

A few days ago I noticed light green leaves on two of the plants and darker on the other.

Now one of the plants seems to be much more affected than the other one. The other plant looks is getting a bit lighter.

Watering has went well.
Ph around 6.7
Rh 45-55%

I have supplemented with 1/2 tsp Epson salt, tbsp wood Ash and 2ml Mg/cal/ gallon for a few feeds during flower.

Yellowing is mostly upper leaves and some mid leaves. Yellowing migrate from tips to base of leaf

My thoughts are
  1. possible Phosphorus excess. I use 2-3 ml/ gallon of PH down which is Phosphoric Acid.
I also gave them about 4 feeds which included tbsp of wood ash in water. This is supposedly 10% Potash which should give K+ and P+. I did read that Phosphorus excess is rare and it is hard to give too much.

2. Sulfur deficiency
    1. I have supplement w Epson salt so I doubt this and also the yellowing appears to begin near tips of leaves and migrate back the opposite of this appearance
    2. Maybe I have a nutrient lock out from salts but I only feed 1/2 dose fox farms 1 or 3 x a week

I didn’t do a real flush because I'm not set up for managing all the run off water and don’t want to lose all nutrients in the soil but I very well may be wrong.
I just gave them all a feed with the recommended Fox farm nutrients which is twice the concentration they normally get.

Any one with any ideas?

Should I ride it out?

Should I harvest soon?
You have a month left minimum.
You better get her eating properly now so she can swell for you properly.
Do you feed to run off.
Feed / water / feed / water, full strength nutrients to runoff every time is required in soil.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Watering has went well.
Ph around 6.7
Rh 45-55%

My thoughts are

2. Sulfur deficiency

Any one with any ideas?

Should I ride it out?

Should I harvest soon?
A few pictures from today after watering/feeding about 20 hours ago
Screenshot_20230122-085553.png
Screenshot_20230122-085420.png
Screenshot_20230122-085531.png

You’ve used too much magnesium, that’s likely going to be calcium locking out. Your soil is probably crispy and having a hard time getting oxygen as well. You can tell from the purple veins you’ve got going on.

There’s not much you can do at this point as it’s already spread and is late in the grow. This is an adjustment you need to make going forward. Cannabis likes her magnesium balanced, when there’s too much it locks up calcium and makes the soil very hard and very difficult to take on oxygen.

You’ll still have a successful harvest but your yields will be reduced substantially and you’ll likely have a slight burn to your smoke.

I would follow Bills advice on feeding and just keep the info on magnesium in the back of your mind for your next grow. No sense in panicking over something you can’t fix.

You’ve used too much magnesium, that’s likely going to be calcium locking out. Your soil is probably crispy and having a hard time getting oxygen as well. You can tell from the purple veins you’ve got going on.

There’s not much you can do at this point as it’s already spread and is late in the grow. This is an adjustment you need to make going forward. Cannabis likes her magnesium balanced, when there’s too much it locks up calcium and makes the soil very hard and very difficult to take on oxygen.

You’ll still have a successful harvest but your yields will be reduced substantially and you’ll likely have a slight burn to your smoke.

I would follow Bills advice on feeding and just keep the info on magnesium in the back of your mind for your next grow. No sense in panicking over something you can’t fix.
Keffka,
Thank you this is very helpful.
I may never use epson salt again!
I just popped 4 seeds for my next grow. The seeds were put in water 5 days ago. I have 4 seedlings with cotyledons and either 2 or 4 additional small leaves. This took 2-3 weeks last time. The main difference is how I germinated and I learned about ph’ing my water. I’ll happily take a reduced yield for my first grow along with all the knowledge gained.

Keffka,
Thank you this is very helpful.
I may never use epson salt again!
I just popped 4 seeds for my next grow. The seeds were put in water 5 days ago. I have 4 seedlings with cotyledons and either 2 or 4 additional small leaves. This took 2-3 weeks last time. The main difference is how I germinated and I learned about ph’ing my water. I’ll happily take a reduced yield for my first grow along with all the knowledge gained.

Epsom salt has its place.. It’s a great foliar and can be used when you know you’ve got mag issues, however it’s easy to use too much and lockout calcium. It’s used quite often in nutrients and calmag solutions but it’s almost always balanced with calcium so it won’t lockout.

You’re learning, and that’s what matters. No one has a flawless first grow, it doesn’t work like that. You could spend months reading and watching (like I did) before your first grow and you’ll still mess something up (like I did) since every environment, grow, and even strain can have its differences. Plus, growing is one of those topics where you need to know what it is you should be researching before you can really effectively research it, and you only learn what that is by going through it.

The best piece of advice I can give is, don’t give up. It’s a process. You’ll learn what works best for your environment and situation. There isn’t a single grow style or a single grower that I emulate 100%. I take bits and pieces of all different styles and growers and adapt them to my situation. In no time at all you’ll be growing great and making your own adaptations.

Stick with your medium and learn it well. A lot of people will mess up soil then decide to go with coco and then mess that up too. They’ll mess up hydro then switch to soil. You’ll forever be making mistakes and chasing your tail doing this.

Epsom salt has its place.. It’s a great foliar and can be used when you know you’ve got mag issues, however it’s easy to use too much and lockout calcium. It’s used quite often in nutrients and calmag solutions but it’s almost always balanced with calcium so it won’t lockout.

You’re learning, and that’s what matters. No one has a flawless first grow, it doesn’t work like that. You could spend months reading and watching (like I did) before your first grow and you’ll still mess something up (like I did) since every environment, grow, and even strain can have its differences. Plus, growing is one of those topics where you need to know what it is you should be researching before you can really effectively research it, and you only learn what that is by going through it.

The best piece of advice I can give is, don’t give up. It’s a process. You’ll learn what works best for your environment and situation. There isn’t a single grow style or a single grower that I emulate 100%. I take bits and pieces of all different styles and growers and adapt them to my situation. In no time at all you’ll be growing great and making your own adaptations.

Stick with your medium and learn it well. A lot of people will mess up soil then decide to go with coco and then mess that up too. They’ll mess up hydro then switch to soil. You’ll forever be making mistakes and chasing your tail doing this.
I like your advice! Definitely not giving up. You are on probably on target, since I probably give Epson salt more than I realized, because it’s essentially free compared to other nutrients.
BTW I just started reading your post on Coast of main from December. Last week I was on a cruise and read True Living Organics. When I returned I started reading Teaming with microbes, and bought his fungi and bacteria books. Looks like I am a bit behind you academically but miles behind you in experience.

I like your advice! Definitely not giving up. You are on probably on target, since I probably give Epson salt more than I realized, because it’s essentially free compared to other nutrients.
BTW I just started reading your post on Coast of main from December. Last week I was on a cruise and read True Living Organics. When I returned I started reading Teaming with microbes, and bought his fungi and bacteria books. Looks like I am a bit behind you academically but miles behind you in experience.

I’ve grown a lot of plants and trees in my lifetime and helped my MIL grow outdoors for a while. She started making decisions I didn’t agree with so I decided to go indoors on my own. Even with that there was a learning curve. It’s all about making small incremental changes once you’ve got your basics down.

Academia is great for understanding what your experience is seeing and makes it easier to be confident in the decisions you make. I recommend both to all but everyone knows what works best individually for them. It helps to keep notes as well whether that’s on paper, a dry erase board or a growing app (I use grow with Jane and the notepad and calendar in my phone).

Good luck to you! If you have any questions feel free to reach out. If I don’t have the answer I likely know someone here who will.

I’ve grown a lot of plants and trees in my lifetime and helped my MIL grow outdoors for a while. She started making decisions I didn’t agree with so I decided to go indoors on my own. Even with that there was a learning curve. It’s all about making small incremental changes once you’ve got your basics down.

Academia is great for understanding what your experience is seeing and makes it easier to be confident in the decisions you make. I recommend both to all but everyone knows what works best individually for them. It helps to keep notes as well whether that’s on paper, a dry erase board or a growing app (I use grow with Jane and the notepad and calendar in my phone).

Good luck to you! If you have any questions feel free to reach out. If I don’t have the answer I likely know someone here who will.
Thanks for my first grow, I did not keep a good journal, only pictures which have dates on my cell phone. Now I am keeping a grow journal. I am also copying pasting it on this site. I use OneNote. My only prior experience is having house plants which mostly died from inattention.

Do you advice adding cal mag or since calcium is locked out there is no point?

Do you advice adding cal mag or since calcium is locked out there is no point?

It depends on how far from harvest you are.. Personally I would just start using pure water (0-10 ppm) to finish off the grow if you’re close enough (within 2-3 weeks) to harvest. You could attempt to use calmag if you’re still far enough out but your leaves also have plenty of resources in them and your plant can take what it needs from them, which is what it’s doing with the calcium currently.

They’ve still got quite a bit in them here’s an image of what mine looked like at harvest..

B817A132-B847-4423-8792-7827D69AB215.jpeg

as you can see the plant will take what it needs from them.. My plant lost 75% of its leaves by the end of this grow. This will also cut down on the amount of trimming you have to do as well

It depends on how far from harvest you are.. Personally I would just start using pure water (0-10 ppm) to finish off the grow if you’re close enough (within 2-3 weeks) to harvest. You could attempt to use calmag if you’re still far enough out but your leaves also have plenty of resources in them and your plant can take what it needs from them, which is what it’s doing with the calcium currently.

They’ve still got quite a bit in them here’s an image of what mine looked like at harvest..

B817A132-B847-4423-8792-7827D69AB215.jpeg

as you can see the plant will take what it needs from them.. My plant lost 75% of its leaves by the end of this grow. This will also cut down on the amount of trimming you have to do as well
Keffka, Thank you so much

@Emilya Green
@Keffka
@Gee64
@Bill284

Wanted to give everyone an update on how it turned out.

2/13/2023 harvest
2/24 temp 60 RH 62. Temp variable from 58 - 69. RH 48-70

2/25 Trim

Small Plant

Plant 2

Plant 3 (yellow plant)

Total

Dry Bud

97g

105g

100g

202g

Trim

28g

32g

17g

67g

After weighing used 2.5 gms of not carbed Bud and grinded and mixed with Brownie. I figured Brownie neede 40 min at 325F so it should decarb while Brownie is cooking.
I made 1 lb cannabutter from 15 gms of trim and 15 gms of Bud.
During this I sampled a couple hits in the Bong. This is completely uncured so I was expecting it to be harsh. It was wasn't bad. Should improve over the next few weeks. Felt something within 5 minutes.
I then took about 4 rips from my Rogue by Healthy Rips. It had a great taste. Sorry that’s my only adjective this morning. I usually don’t feel much the morning after, but consumption was on the high end yesterday. I will be consuming more from this method.
As the munchies set in I used some leftover butter matted weed, and made a cream cheese and weed Bagel. I only ate half but it hit hard about an hour later.

Some of the things I have learned is
  1. Don’t stress too much at the end of flower. Your plant is dying and it doesn’t look as good as a few weeks before Harvest. (I will still try and avoid nut lock out in the future.)
  2. Don't train Auto's! It stunts them! The plant that got by far the most attention had the lowest harvest weight. (I know some disagree. But I am sure those who do are better and more experienced growers and trainers then me.
  3. Be careful with Epsom salt and go light on salt nutes as it may lock out other nutrients.
  4. If you travel try and get someone to look in on your plants.

Anyway thank you everyone for your input and help with my first grow and new hobby!

@Emilya Green
@Keffka
@Gee64
@Bill284

2/13/2023 harvest

2/25 Trim

Small Plant

Plant 2

Plant 3 (yellow plant)

Total

Dry Bud

97g

105g

100g

202g

Trim

28g

32g

17g

67g

After weighing used 2.5 gms of not carbed Bud and grinded and mixed with Brownie. I figured Brownie neede 40 min at 325F so it should decarb while Brownie is cooking.
During this I sampled a couple hits in the Bong. This is completely uncured so I was expecting it to be harsh. It was wasn't bad. Should improve over the next few weeks. Felt something within 5 minutes.
I then took about 4 rips from my Rogue by Healthy Rips. It had a great taste. Sorry that’s my only adjective this morning. I usually don’t feel much the morning after, but consumption was on the high end yesterday. I will be consuming more from this method.
As the munchies set in I used some leftover butter matted weed, and made a cream cheese and weed Bagel. I only ate half but it hit hard about an hour later.

1. Don’t stress too much at the end of flower. Your plant is dying and it doesn’t look as good as a few weeks before Harvest. (I will still try and avoid nut lock out in the future.)
  2. Don't train Auto's! It stunts them! The plant that got by far the most attention had the lowest harvest weight. (I know some disagree. But I am sure those who do are better and more experienced growers and trainers then me.
  3. Be careful with Epsom salt and go light on salt nutes as it may lock out other nutrients.

Anyway thank you everyone for your input and help with my first grow and new hobby!
Very nice John👊 nothing wrong with that haul!😎 Hit me up if you start a journal so I can tag along👊

Very nice John👊 nothing wrong with that haul!😎 Hit me up if you start a journal so I can tag along👊
Thanks Gee. I was happy with this, considering my errors along the way.
I am running 2 journals right now.
These journals are mainly my notes to self with some of my thoughts along the way.

@Emilya Green
@Keffka
@Gee64
@Bill284

2/13/2023 harvest

2/25 Trim

Small Plant

Plant 2

Plant 3 (yellow plant)

Total

Dry Bud

97g

105g

100g

202g

Trim

28g

32g

17g

67g

Congrats Amigo, nice haul. :thumb:
Hope you had a nice weekend my friend.
Take care.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

@Emilya Green
@Keffka
@Gee64
@Bill284

2/13/2023 harvest

2/25 Trim

Small Plant

Plant 2

Plant 3 (yellow plant)

Total

Dry Bud

97g

105g

100g

202g

Trim

28g

32g

17g

67g

ignore totals
they should be; bud 302 gm and trim 77g. The Amnesia Haze also messes with simple addition. Beware!

Back
Top Bottom