Topping outer stems

Gardinhackle

Hello, this is my first year growing cannabis so I have been watching lots of videos and trying to learn. I have three Death Bubba plants in 5 gallon buckets outdoors.

My question pertains to pruning, I have topped the main stem of my plants and two of the plants have had the outer branches topped as well. I noticed many new shoots growing from the sides of the stems and wonder if I should be removing these despite topping the stems earlier or do I leave them to grow now. They started as clones and are 4 weeks old. I've included a pic as an example.

51287296921_22fabe2ed9_z.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gardinhackle

Hey Gardinhackke,

I would leave them. Those shoots are called growth tips, they are branches off the main trunk with a fan leaf just below them - they are the portion of the plant where buds will grow from.

It’s all good because you are new and didn’t know better but your post is in a rather obscure section (International/NorthAmerica/Canada) where there isn’t much activity. For future reference - it’s best to post questions under the main FAQ (frequently asked questions) section this way you will get much more input from a whole crew of growers

I’m going to ask the moderators to move your post there now,

welcome aboard!

Thanks for the reply, sorry, I guess I didn't look close enough on where I should be posting my question. If the moderators could move it I'd appreciate it but I think you answered my question clearly and I appreciate it. I'll leave them alone! Some of the videos I've watched show some aggressive trimming techniques so I thought maybe I need to do the same. I appreciate your advice and will leave them.

No worries at all, they moved it but still more growers like to join in to welcome you to the site and add their tricks since everyone has learned different methods. For now something like LST might be your best best. Im sure you can find videos on that but just in case will drop a link >>> InTheShed LST training <<< from 420 member InTheShed.

Welcome to 420Magazine @Gardinhackle. Your plants are doing great, especially for 4 weeks in.
If you top too much you'll reduce your yield, even if the intention is to improve it. As @013 mentioned, LST will turn those lower growth tips to additional colas. I'd recommend tying down the two main tops of each plant to let the other nodes catch up. If the 5 gallon containers are all you have don't sweat it. I've got mine in 5 gallon fabric containers this year because I didn't have enough soil available and they're still doing alright. Generally bigger is better but depending on where you're located you may only have another month or so before they bloom. Make sure you drill some holes for drainage if you haven't. Cheers.

Thanks for the replies!

@013, unfortunately that's the best I can do for bucket size for a few reasons. One thing if I understand correctly is that this will help to minimise the size they get (or so I have been told)! I live in an area that has a river trail behind the house so I don't want the plants to get too tall so they can be seen over the fence. This is one of the reasons I wanted to top them. The fella I got the clones from doesn't seem to do much with his plants so he is not much help, hence why I came here.

@Regrowth, yes I added good drainage holes with small rocks at the bottom and am using Promix HP so there's good drainage, aside from that I am careful not to over-water them, when I do though I give them a good dose. I am also using Advanced Nutrients "Grow-Bloom-Micro" combo so hopefully that will keep them healthy.

I have only given them two does of fertiliser so far so I'm not sure how much they should get. I figure maybe every other watering??? (which is about a week apart) so every two weeks. If this is incorrect I'd appreciate to hear others suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Hackle!

Ok cool - now I understand!! Five gallons of soil can only go so far which mean yes added nutrients will be needed. Most cannabis nutes deliver NPK but calcium & magnesium are typically not included and considered as an add on product. In veg plants need high N but lower PK, in flower they need little to no N but higher PK but they need cal-mag all the way thru. Check your AN labels to see what’s included. I’m not familiar with AN but you may need to buy a separate cal-mag product

Some growers do feed, water, feed, water routine, others may do feed, feed, feed, water type deal. For most types of soil used for grows its best to run wet dry cycle in veg then keep soil moist during flower. It’s hard to say exactly what you will need but changes in leaf color will indicate the plants need for extra nutes, too little means deficiency too much can mean toxicity.

Really appreciate the quick response! I just checked and the container of "Micro" has everything as far as minerals including the Cal and Mag. These products are also pH balanced which is nice. I have an extensive understanding of pH, macro/micro nutrient requirements from my intense wine-making hobby already, so carrying that over to this is not a problem.

I'll report back with my progress if anyone cares to look!

Hackle!

Most excellent - yep we tend to get invested and love to see progress. It’s hard to know what to do because there are so many nute products and I’ve only puttered with a few. Wow that’s cool as a moose!! We appreciate what you bring to the table so settle in and drop a journal. Takes 5 minutes write up your garden details in first paragraph like room or tent size, lights, media, nutes - snap a pic and you are cooking.

BRB with link, >>>>> How to make grow journal <<<< don’t got to read whole thing but first page will get you there

Ok cool, can you drop a pic? What kind of light? Do you know the fixtures true wattage draw from wall outlet? What’s your light spacing?

Most wait until 5 nodes or pairs are showing before topping. Topping will slow a plant down as it will take a recovery period. LST does the same thing as topping (breaking apical dominance) but no recovery period is required.

BRB lemme grab a link.…here’s tutorial on LST from 420 member InTheShed >>> LST tutorial <<<

Back
Top Bottom