TorturedSoul Needs Your Positive Energy

All too familiar with dental problems, especially when it comes down to dealing with all that pain. I've had my share and I still have some concerns.

I'm getting old and my teeth (and gums) aren't getting any younger either.

I've had to make a number of changes in my eating habits throught the years, both with what I eat/drink and how much I eat/drink. Sometimes I do "fall off the wagon" and temporarily loose my diligence, but, I got a number of things I do for recovery to get my "dental health" back - without going to see the dentist.

:sorry: Didn't mean to impose on your thread TorturedSoul7 with spewing my nonsense.

A belated, but sincere wish that you've recovered adequately enough from your sitcheeation.

Take care dude :thumb:

Thanks, folks. Things are MUCH better.

TorturedSoul's Thoughts (Long and Rambling, Of Course

That was the short answer. Here is a longer one. Call it a long-term update if you like.

Only real issue - which I guess is permanent now - is that I've got this loud high-pitched tonal ringing in my ears that doesn't EVER stop. On the one hand, it's not exactly crippling. It often drowns out the voices in my head (lol) and my stereo throws 400 watts RMS per channel so I'll be able to hear that as long as I can hear any (actual) sounds. But I've had insomnia since 1989 (head-on car wreck, "slight" brain impact thing) and bad daily headaches (ditto) and this doesn't exactly help me deal with either of those. Nor does it make it easy to carry on conversations with people who are more than a few feet away from me when coupled with the hearing loss that I've suffered here and there through the years. Probably the worst part is that even though - or perhaps because - I'm used to existing in a noisy environment between various types of work that I've done and I often enjoy listening to music at levels that let me hear the entire range from the softest whispers of sound to the loudest thundering roar... I really, really enjoy the occasional bit of silence. Not just the "silence" of a quiet room, or taking a walk down a deserted road on a foggy night, but real silence like you find deep underground in a cave when you turn off the helmet lamps, hold your breath, and the very absence of sound is almost a living being.

I'm never going to "hear" silence again. Ever. That's a bummer. And months after the fact, it is obvious that it's not something that I'll ever get used to. <SHRUGS> But it beats a dirt nap eight days a week, lol.

As near as I can figure, it happened at the time that I was in the worst shape. I'm guessing that it was due to the infection spreading and causing a severe ear infection or because my temperature went extremely high and stayed that way for so long (probably killed a brain cell "or two" :rolleyes: ).

Other than that, I've noticed a couple of things that are worse this year than in the past: One is that my aphasia seems to be worse. I've been bothered by it before, having to stop and struggle to produce the word that I was looking for, but lately... The other day my brother and I were at Mom's house doing some work and I went outside to cut her grass. I came in and he asked, "What's wrong?" I replied, "I can't get the sewing machine started." He gives me a funny look and asks, "Huh?" And I got frustrated and said, "The shotgun!" and realized that that wasn't it, either. Another funny look. So I ended up having to pantomime pulling the starter rope and pushing the blasted thing. He got it and asked, "Mower?" "Yeah, that's it, the stupid lawn mower. I can't get it started." He thought it was funny, but when it happens 20 times a day and <COUGH> drugs are not involved, it's annoying. The second thing is that instead of getting light-headed and seeing red & black spots for a few seconds when I stand up too quick about half the time, nowadays I get light-headed and see red & black spots - and, occasionally, nothing at all, lol, in a kind of mental fade-to-black - pretty much every time I stand up. And, once in a while, I don't have to stand up for it to happen. But I'm in my 40s now and I've heard that stuff like that starts happening when you get old so I doubt it has anything to do with the extreme and protracted dental illness.

I can eat (pretty much anything, although a couple of things take a little thought) now. I can smile. I can (mostly) speak normally. I'm back to flirting with the ladies - and they're back to liking it ;). I went through a short "learn how to speak properly with an upper-plate" adjustment period, and it appears that I'm able to imitate various accents and ages now (and I... generally notice when I'm doing so (who knows?)). I just bit right through a toothpick (I want a cigarette!!!!!) and could probably gnaw through a pencil if I got the urge. I notice that a lot of foods don't seem to taste the same - or as much - as they used to (possibly because I've got a piece of plastic covering the entire roof of my mouth? or because when I'm not paying attention I think I might not be chewing stuff up enough now?), but it's not like I'm eating steak, caviar, or foie gras with mustard seeds and green onions in duck jus these days anyway, so no big deal there. I can and do wear the upper plate all day long, every day and I know a few people who cannot seem to get used to theirs, or who claim that it is painful. Mine doesn't bother me (although I'm always aware that it's there, kind of like when you're hiking six miles or more through the woods to a primitive campground; your backpack doesn't bother you - but you can always feel that it's there). I'm not in constant (dental-related) pain these days. I haven't <KNOCKS ON WOOD> had a multiple toothache/infection that's lasted for months or any toothache at all, really. I had to have the extractions done by a dental surgeon, which was a bit frightening to think/worry about beforehand - but he didn't put me into agony personified by trying & failing multiple times to pull a tooth and then give up & tell me that I needed to have a surgeon do it like the last several dentists I tried did, and the actual surgery wasn't scary at all (because I slept the sleep of the just during the procedure... or was that drugged unconsciousness?:thumb:).

All and all, I'm probably far better off now than I was before. And not just because I'm still alive.

To those who made it possible for me to have everything done, thank you again!

TS--- Sorry to hear about the things you were going through. When it comes to the hearing loss I can truly relate. I don't have the ringing in the ears, I think that would drive me crazy. But I do experience the dizziness when I get up or lay down too fast or sometimes when I walk I lose my balance. Its embarrassing for me when it happens in public because most people assume I am drunk. When actually I hardly drink at all. I am 42 and lost more than half my hearing in both ears 5 yrs ago. When it first happened I thought it was due to loud music because I use to be a DJ. The ENT I first saw said that wasn't what caused it but was more likely due to be hereditary. And that was just a guess on his part but even more frustrating to me because I am adopted. I never knew my biological father so I don't know if anyone on his side of the family had hearing problems.

My issues are that I can hear sounds but can't make out the clarity of words when people talk to me unless they speak loudly. What gets me is when I tell people this and they still don't speak loud enough or turn their back to me and try to talk to me. It is almost impossible to talk on the phone and I pretty much avoid doing it because it has become so frustrating to me. So people either have to text me or email me unless I have my bf translate for me. I try to adapt the best way I can but sometimes still get frustrated to the point of tears. Just wanted to share and thank you for sharing, showing me once again I am not alone in this.

My issues are that I can hear sounds but can't make out the clarity of words when people talk to me unless they speak loudly. What gets me is when I tell people this and they still don't speak loud enough or turn their back to me and try to talk to me. It is almost impossible to talk on the phone and I pretty much avoid doing it because it has become so frustrating to me.

All of the above. Talking on the telephone sucks, even one that has adjustable volume because turning it up just makes for a loud, distorted, mumble/drone/gobbledegook. Especially with a few young ladies who seem to place the microphone right against (inside, lol?) their mouths and one in particular who often slurs her words, talks way too fast, carries on five different conversations at once, and gets frustrated even easier than I do (multiple mental illnesses + meds). Carrying on a conversation in a vehicle? Why do people insist on having the stereo set at 80%-200% of the level of their speaking voice and then speak while looking straight out the windshield (or looking out their side window!)? And then, when you finally stop and the engine/stereo quits, they'll start SHOUTING because "you can't hear all that well," lol? Restaurants... 50 different conversations all around you, combined with the noise of 100 sets of crockery banging together is loud - "Mumblemumblemumble listening to me?!?" sound familiar?

The fact that I could almost hear a pin drop on the other side of a quiet room didn't help (well... I don't have that problem any more, haha) no matter how many times you try to explain about nerve deafness, sensorineural hearing loss, et cetera.

A life that has included things such as years of extreme industrial noise, firearm discharges, and rock concerts hasn't helped, I'm sure. But I got yelled at enough when I was little (like, every day) along the lines of, "You don't have any trouble hearing the television" (newsflash: it's got a volume control, lol) "you didn't have any trouble hearing me come through the door five minutes ago" (but it's a heavy wooden door that you insist on slamming, it's right beneath my window, and... you stepped on the dog's tail again), "you heard what your mother and I were doing last night" (yeah, after you got frustrated because Mom bought the wrong batteries, you forgot to label each package and have to open each one to figure out which belongs to who, and oh yeah, I didn't have to have superman ears to figure out what all the banging and cussing was all about since you just sent us to bed and it's freaking Christmas Eve) and my (not) favorite of all, "You don't have any trouble hearing something that you want to hear" (hmm... could it be because I was interested enough to walk over to see and I'm now standing three feet in front of you and reading your lips?)

Parents are the worst, I guess. And cripple-headed girlfriends that insist on having long, rambling conversations on the telephone that they're seemingly trying to swallow while half-asleep, half-medicated out of their head, and half in the bag. And teachers in large, bare-floored rooms full of fidgety students who will spend 20 minutes mumbling about something that wasn't in the textbook and then point to you and expect you to regurgitate what they just said word-for-word. And bosses who insist on listening to the radio at work who stand on the other side of the room looking out the window and expect you to hear the directions that they're telling you. And, and, and <BOOM!> frustrated, much? :thumb:

I am not alone in this.

You are not alone in this.

What can you do, right?

Back
Top Bottom