Total PPM

Skanatic

I'm a brand new grower about to start my first grow and I have a question about my water/nutrients. I mixed my nutrients and got my pH set in my reservoir. According to my feeding schedule I should have 1350 PPM. My meter only reads 876. I started with RO water from a brand new filter. I'm using Cyco nutrients.

Well this could be due to several reasons.

1. Different PPM meters use different conversions factors. All these meters can measure is electrical conductivity (EC) of the solution, and they then use a conversion factor to calculate PPM. This differs from manufacturer to manufacturer though, so this could be affecting your reading. Do a little research into this, and maybe the nutrients mention something about what conversion factor is used?

2. Many hydro nutrients are designed to be used with water that already has some trace minerals in it. Since you are using RO water, you may have to add some Cal/Mag to your water. This will probably add 200-300 PPM.

You don't mention the stage of growth you are in, but if you're supposed to be feeding at 1350 PPM, I assume it is mid-flower. That's still VERY high though. The schedules are only a place to start. You'll have to dial in what your plants need, which depends on your setup/lighting/temperatures/strain/etc.

If your plants look healthy, I wouldn't worry about the PPM. If they have deficiencies or nute burns, then you should probably pay more attention to it. It is good to know what PPM they like though, and keep a record of it.

Hope that helped!

Thank you that info is definitely helpful!

Yes, your assumption is pretty accurate. I am actually taking over some plants from a friend of mine that has been vegging them and they're ready to flip but he doesn't have room in his flower room right now, so yes that is why I'm going for such a high PPM.

Thanks for the knowledge about conversion factors; I'm looking into that right now on CYCO's website!

Back
Top Bottom