Transplant from soil to hydro

AZ007

So i have a plant in soil probably about 4 weeks old from seed, and ive just built a bucket system so my question here is should i transplant my plant to the new system or just start a new one? I didnt wanna throw it away u know what i mean or waste time, but i wanna do whats best. Any info is appreciate it thx!

I would really try to start a new one would be the best bet, but it can be done but the plant will go through some shock, there is a big difference if nutrient uptake from soil to hydro, more so in an organic soil grow. There is one guy on here who just did the same thing and was super concerned about the plant and all it really was is that the plant is trying to adapt to a new environment soil or water? For me personally I would pop a new bean and get your bucket ready and the camera out so we can see some awesome pictures, Peace and best of luck,OG.

I would really try to start a new one would be the best bet, but it can be done but the plant will go through some shock, there is a big difference if nutrient uptake from soil to hydro, more so in an organic soil grow. There is one guy on here who just did the same thing and was super concerned about the plant and all it really was is that the plant is trying to adapt to a new environment soil or water? For me personally I would pop a new bean and get your bucket ready and the camera out so we can see some awesome pictures, Peace and best of luck,OG.

Thx for the info, getting a 3 week head start wouldve been nice by transplanting it, but thats what i thought too, as much as i didnt want to start over, i thought i was gonna end up having to, just to be on the safe side..

What about making a clone from your current plant? I recently transplanted from soil to DWC and, yes, they did have some shock but it wasn't that bad. A week later they took off. But you could easily clone her and put the clone straight into water! And cloning is very easy, regardless of what you may have seen or heard.

What about making a clone from your current plant? I recently transplanted from soil to DWC and, yes, they did have some shock but it wasn't that bad. A week later they took off. But you could easily clone her and put the clone straight into water! And cloning is very easy, regardless of what you may have seen or heard.

But the plant is very little. its about 2 inches only. wuld it still be possible?

I always start my seed in soil and when they are about that size I move them to hydro. You have to be very careful with
the roots when you wash off the soil. Like was said above there will be some shock and it will take a few days for it to
start the new roots. I think there are some examples in my gallery.

You would have to wait to clone something that small... It isn't ready yet.
Well I guess I shouldn't say that, I've just never tried.

I always start my seed in soil and when they are about that size I move them to hydro. You have to be very careful with
the roots when you wash off the soil. Like was said above there will be some shock and it will take a few days for it to
start the new roots. I think there are some examples in my gallery.

Oh yea when their around 2" or so? Because like i said, yes id love to do that and save some time, but then again i dont want to try to save time and then end up wasting even more time for having to start over at the end, know what i mean? But carefully removing the soil off and washing the soil off of the roots and transplanting to hydro should do it then no prob?

I can't say you won't have any problem. I have no idea what your set up is. If it doesn't take you will know within a few
days so it really won't be a big setback.

I can't say you won't have any problem. I have no idea what your set up is. If it doesn't take you will know within a few
days so it really won't be a big setback.

When u do transplant do you keep ur ballast at full capacity? im running a 400hps

I was hesitant transplanting my 2-3" seedlings but now I did it, at least with ONE seedling as a test.

Let me tell you...it is a TOTAL pain in the ass.

First I removed the seedling super-carefully and rinsed off as much soil from the roots as possible, also dunked the roots in some water.
Transplanting the tiny, fragile thing into my Hempy (Perlite/Vermiculite) was a pain in the ass. I had to remove a quarter of the perlite/verm from the pot I prepared because you cannot easily just make a hole there like with soil. I had troubles setting the seedling into the pot, so I had three goes at this...

The entire root system is maybe 1-1,5" big, very tiny and the perlite/vermic. doesn't really hold up the plant, the seedling will tip over, so I also had to put a small stick in there which is now holding up the plant.

I then watered with nutes at seedling strength (according to GHE chart) plus I added a root stimulator. I always use root stim when I transplant.

Whether the seedling will survive I don't know.

Personally, if you ask me, I'd only transplant like this as a last resort, simply start a new one in rockwool and let it sprout in Hydro properly.

Man you could of trans the baby into hydro, with a light feed. Yea it will stunt her for a min, but I knew a guy that went from hydro to soil, not one yellow spot, no burn, nothing, just slowed down for about 2 weeks, now they are awesome. But all you got to do is root soak the baby for about 5 mins and wash most of the soil as you can. Take your rockwool while dry and making a slice with a clean new razor. Then have your rockwools soaking in ph 5.5 water. Then after you let them soak for a while, take your baby and open the slit you make and place her into it. Little bit of your roots will be hanging out, then get your net pot, place her in first have a little bit of roots hanging out of the net pot. Then easy place your clay rocks around her, if you can get help I would suggest it lol. If you can't get the rocks in there cause of the roots place a little layer of the pepples on the bottom of your net pot. Place the baby in and then place pepples around her.
Note cut and presoak the rockwool day before or hours before doing this, wish you luck and if anyone does this method pm me or show some pics.

So what you're saying is cut a slit in the cube length-wise (from the top to the bottom), on the side, up to the middle, then soak the cube, then open up the cube slightly (sort-of like a book), put the seedling in it (the roots, that is), close the cube and then set the cube in the substrate?

Just trying to figure where the slit goes.

This sounds pure genius!

Like so?

rw-slit2.png

Edit: Yeah I know that with pre-soaking the cubes in 5.5ph water although some say 15mins -20mins soaking is enough. Brilliant, wish I had known that trick earlier with the cubes.

In the corner of one is where I've seen it, cut it fork the hole in the middle just like you said, from top to bottom, make sure you got a new blade so it won't damage the air pockets that the wool has in them, and do it who or they are dry, then soak them. They also sell the gordan grow rockwool with that slit in them already.
Oh yea why won't you do a clone with the side cut slit like that and do another clone with the corner slit and see if there is any difference. Let me know man.

I've done this with success. No rockwool, just rinsed the roots, fed them through the net pot, then carefully filled around them with hydroton. I don't use rockwool for anything. Not saying you won't have problems or that its the best way, just that its the way i do it and it has worked for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom