Transplanting three young plants in the same tray to separate pots

RoadLizard

Hi gang. After my seedlings started taking off I decided to place all three of them in a sterile tray that came with my Mr Grow Pro PC case. Probably not the best idea. They are really growing fast and I'm sure soon the roots are gonna wish they had more space. So, within a week I'm gonna need to get them into their own pots. It's not hard to transplant a single plant but what about when you have to move three from the same pot? I'm hoping the roots aren't wound together! I know, bad move on my part but it is what it is. Do I just grab them individually the best i can and do it that way? Do I try and dump each one by itself out of the tray? Don't wanna hurt them.

Thanks for any tips.

cut the pot there in if u have to, to ease getting into whatever kinda rootball ur gonna have2 sort out... once the pots outta the way, if ur mix is compacted still in its pot shape-- grab & shake the dirt loose-- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PICK UP the dirt ball ...DO THIS ON A SURFACE W/ ROOM2work & NOT too VIOLENTLY either-- when most of the medium has fallen away THEN try n sort out the root issue... I wouldn't say u'd have to rush while doin it-- but it ain't the time 2dawdle either... oHh N a LITTLE root pruning NEVER hurts!

They'll bounce back n no time f they were healthy to begin with... Keepit growin'... Aloha!

Re: Noob with an intro and some pics. Couple questions too....

cut the pot there in if u have to, to ease getting into whatever kinda rootball ur gonna have2 sort out... once the pots outta the way, if ur mix is compacted still in its pot shape-- grab & shake the dirt loose-- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PICK UP the dirt ball ...DO THIS ON A SURFACE W/ ROOM2work & NOT too VIOLENTLY either-- when most of the medium has fallen away THEN try n sort out the root issue... I wouldn't say u'd have to rush while doin it-- but it ain't the time 2dawdle either... oHh N a LITTLE root pruning NEVER hurts!

They'll bounce back n no time f they were healthy to begin with... Keepit growin'... Aloha!

Thanks for tips. I'm just gonna be slow and careful with this!

Well, I did the transfer this afternoon. Went OK - I hope. Not all of the roots made it to the new pots. There was some tangling too and I had to gingerly pull those apart the best I could. I hope they are OK. Ill know ina few days I suppose.

Wish my babies luck!

i just transplanted from a #7 to a #20... talk about losing some roots haha. My fault totally-- forgot i watered earlier n the day & started gettin@ it & when the pot broke free, half my medium went sliding off leaving me w/ a handful for a rootball! i was pisst-- jammed what was left of the plant n2 the #20 n chalked it up to another livenburn moment... couple 3days later or so-- no droop, no growth, she's stunned-- but truth, it don't look like she gonna die...

reads like u done solid RL! your plants will show u their appreciation shortly, i'm sure... Aloha!

i just transplanted from a #7 to a #20... talk about losing some roots haha. My fault totally-- forgot i watered earlier n the day & started gettin@ it & when the pot broke free, half my medium went sliding off leaving me w/ a handful for a rootball! i was pisst-- jammed what was left of the plant n2 the #20 n chalked it up to another livenburn moment... couple 3days later or so-- no droop, no growth, she's stunned-- but truth, it don't look like she gonna die...

reads like u done solid RL! your plants will show u their appreciation shortly, i'm sure... Aloha!

Actually, Im about 36 hours removed from the transplant process and Im glad to say that they appear to be doing just fine. The leaves look good and I have some new growth on them already. Very pleased at how this went. Its just so damned scary.... the roots are just dangling and you are like panicking trying to get it planted. Thank goodness thats over!

I think you'll be fine. These plants are tough and in your case just give them a day to recoup and it'll be good. No worries!!!

hahahah yeah it can be stressful!! good job bro! what i have done in the past too, is simply wash the roots with water so that the dirt falls away and found that the roots almost untangled themselves!! ... almost :cheesygrinsmiley: it depends on how root bound they are.

all the best with your ladies and i am SURE they will be appreciating the new found room to stretch out into!!

:Namaste:

Re: Noob with an intro and some pics. Couple questions too....

hahahah yeah it can be stressful!! good job bro! what i have done in the past too, is simply wash the roots with water so that the dirt falls away and found that the roots almost untangled themselves!! ... almost :cheesygrinsmiley: it depends on how root bound they are.

all the best with your ladies and i am SURE they will be appreciating the new found room to stretch out into!!

:Namaste:

Awesome, thanks alkhemist! I really do think they appreciate it. It's not like I gave them a bunch more room, they just just have their own room now. Like three twin sisters that were sharing a big bedroom, they now have their own bedrooms and are much happier. :circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom