Roots growing in my water tray

daTenshi

Hello, I have encountered something I've never seen before. Tonight after i watered my baby girl, I asked my bf to pick her up so I can empty her tray, and seen two of her roots, around 30 cm long, growing straight down in the excess water tray. I have no clue what to do about it. I kinda panicked and forgot to take a pic of the roots, but they look cute and fluffy.

Information:
Sativa dominant, Lowryder AF mother, unknown crossing ( got 20 seeds from my balcony grow )
Germinated two of the seeds and around 30 days into vegetative stage they showed signs of preflowers, one being male. Two weeks ago I transplanted her in the final pot ( approx. 10 L ), and switched the lights a few days after, when she looked good to go, and adjusted very well to her new environment. She's 80 cm tall ( 2, 60 feet ) and I haven't done anything to her, no Trim, Top, FIM or Training.
31122013724.jpg

Hi,

it sounds like your growing in soil, if this is the case then it sounds like the tray is holding the water for to long and this has encouraged the roots to grow down into the tray so it can take in the water, when you water just water slow and stop when you get some run off, you dont want lots of run off just enough so you know the soil is well watered, then totally let it dry out before you water again, less is more when growing these plants,

your plant looks very healthy so well done, i take it your feeding nutrients and not having any problems with feeding etc.
its not a huge problem you have, but after you water the plants let the water drip into the tray for an hour or 2 then empty the tray or soak the water up with paper towels etc, once the tray is dry the root will die off like it does with air pots

so you dont have anything to worry about, sometimes my roots grow out the bottom of my pots, as long as the pot is big enough then it wont be root bound so its just a case of the roots growing out the pot due to it finding water in the tray.

so dont worry to much, its not a problem and as long as the tray is kept dry between waterings.

Thank you very much don! :circle-of-love: Yes it is in soil and I do feed it nutes ( I am giving it 9-3-6 for the time being, since I've read to keep doing it until it finishes stretching ); I am happy it's nothing serious because I was honestly freaking out, I tried something different for this grow (my 1st indoor, 2nd overall) to try not too jump out at any single small thing, but seeing those big lovely roots kinda sent my calm approach to hell :oops:
The flowering nutes I bought from store have a ratio of 4-5-9 is that going to do? it says on it that it is for flowering plants, well ornamental indoor ones.
Thank you very much for the useful advice, I am going to wait for her to wake up and I will go empty her tray! :love:
:thanks:

Your roots growing out of the pot will air prune themselves do not wory about them. I would not use the flowering nutrients you have I would return them, you want a flowering nutrient for vegetables such as tomatos or other consumable crops. They sometimes include addatives that are toxic for human consumtion in fertilizer for ornamental plants.

:thanks: everyone for taking the time to help!
I have searched for tomatoes fertilizer but in the winter there isn't any available here, and I did read the label a few good times, it has no warning against using it for garden plants. It also says it is fit for every type of plant, now I kinda doubt that, because the picture has like house plants on it, but its same brand as the vegetative one I have been using so far. I will search for organic alternatives just in case.

Back
Top Bottom