Trial Date Set In Pot For Guitar Case

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A Butte County judge said Wednesday he thinks a defendant believes he is a messiah and martyr for medical marijuana users.

Judge Steven Howell denied Joel Castle's motions to fire his public defender, represent himself and continue his trial.

Howell confirmed Castle for a Feb. 28 trial in the 13-month-old case.

Castle is accused of trading two ounces of marijuana with an undercover Chico police officer for an acoustic guitar Jan. 15 after responding to an ad on craigslist, an Internet shopping service.

Castle is charged with one count each of felony possession and sale of marijuana with the special allegation he was armed with a pistol. He could face six years in prison.

The judge thinks Castle's dissatisfaction with his attorney is not reasonable, he said.

Howell said the motion to represent himself was untimely as Castle won't be ready for trial if he granted the request. He said he also thought the motion was a "tactic to delay the trial." Court-appointed attorney Larry Willis and deputy district attorney Jeff Greeson said they expect the trial to take three days.

Before the judge's decision, Castle said he wants to champion rights for medical marijuana users.

"I don't care if I stay in prison for the rest of my life," Castle said.

Castle said he was being compassionate and sympathetic when he traded the marijuana for a guitar. He thinks it's a case of entrapment.

The defendant again asked to be released on his own recognizance without the condition he not use medical marijuana. The judge denied the request.

While Castle was previously out-of-custody awaiting trial, officers arrested him three times for allegedly being in possession of marijuana, or smoking it in public, including once during a Chico City Council meeting on whether to sanction medical marijuana co-ops in the city.

Castle remains in custody at the Butte County Jail. He is scheduled for trial assignment Feb.

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: chicoer.com
Author: Katy Sweeny
Copyright: 2011 Chico Enterprise-Record

Back
Top Bottom