Selling Pot 'In The Light'

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
On a recent bright fall day, Joel Castle stood outside the 8-foot fence that surrounds his home, a joint in one hand, a glass jar filled with marijuana buds in the other. On the fence were colorful paintings in the style of Gilbert Shelton and R. Crumb showing a Mr. Natural-type figure smoking a hand-rolled cigarette and boldly advertising that this is the home of the Chico Cannabis Club.

Meet Chico's foremost--and most public--dispenser of homegrown, organic medical marijuana.

As far as he's concerned, he's providing a valuable service under the terms of Proposition 215, the state's med-pot law. Castle, a 60-year-old disabled veteran, organized the Chico Cannabis Club five years ago when he moved to Chico and realized the only way people with medicinal-marijuana recommendations could acquire the drug safely was by growing it themselves. But not everyone can grow, he says, considering that growing requires supplies, land and time. Besides, many are afraid of becoming an easy target for criminals.

"I found out there was no place to get [medicinal marijuana in Butte County] ... that I would have to break a law to get it," he said. "That didn't set well with my soul."

Castle says his club fits the state's guidelines--as outlined by the Attorney General's Office--specifying that only medicinal collectives and cooperatives may sell the herb, and only among their own members. Collectives cannot be operated for profit, must provide detailed records proving users are legitimate patients, and may not purchase marijuana from unlawful sources.

A major component of the guidelines suggests storefront dispensaries that sell to anyone with a doctor's recommendation are illegal because they don't fit the definition of a collective.

As Castle has found, however, interpretation of the law, like so much about Prop 215, is up for debate.

The Chico Cannabis Club, with 51 members, is a "sanctuary"--Castle's word--for people with medical-marijuana recommendations from local physicians.

Castle is selective about its membership. He terminates anyone he discovers abusing its privileges--for example, by selling marijuana to people without recommendations to make money. Members pay a one-time fee of $50, which also gets them a T-shirt.

Most of Castle's members are growers and share information and techniques on organic-growing methods. Members also share clones of differing varieties of plants.

For patients who choose not to grow, or can't, the club charges $140 an ounce. By comparison, an ounce on the street can run as high as $566, Castle said, and may not be organic. It's also risky to send people into a "criminal world just to get a joint," he said; instead, patients meet with Castle at his home, behind that high wall.

Castle's mission to create a safe haven for medicinal-marijuana patients on a grand scale is not accepted by everyone--including Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey.

In a phone interview, Ramsey said he didn't know enough about the club to have a solid opinion on the legitimacy of its operation. "It's difficult to talk with Joel," he said, noting that conversations between the two usually disintegrate because Castle "doesn't like to hear the word no" and issues statements such as, "I'm selling dope, and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

The thing the two seem to agree on is that marijuana is still tied too closely to the criminal world. Ramsey supports medicinal marijuana, but only for people who are seriously ill. He doesn't think the plant requires substantial labor to grow and believes most people should be able to grow a plant or two easily. "Remember, it is called a weed," he said.

Ramsey's conception of what is allowed under Prop 215 is based on People v. Peron, a 1997 case in which an appellate court in San Francisco found that only those people who are consistently responsible for their patients' housing, safety and daily living are primary caregivers and can grow marijuana for them. An operation such as Castle's should be limited to no more than three people, Ramsey believes.

"Just being a person who supplies marijuana to another person is not fulfilling that consistency" needed to qualify as a caretaker, Ramsey said. "You cannot be a caretaker to the world."

But, Castle asks, what about people who don't have land? People shouldn't be required to own property to have access to their medicine. And people who are extremely sick with, say, cancer "aren't going to be outside gardening" and may not be able to find a caretaker willing to grow marijuana for them.

Not even KZFR, the ultra-hip community radio station that regularly broadcasts reggae shows featuring songs extolling ganja and sinsemilla and calling for "420" smoke breaks, is comfortable with the Chico Cannabis Club. Last week it turned Castle down when he sought to become an underwriter--the public-radio equivalent of an advertiser--after station employees discussed the club's legality with Ramsey and other sources.

"We were not comfortable with some of the information we were given about the nature of the business," said Jill Paydon, KZFR's general manager.

Shelly Mariposa, underwriting sales director at KZFR, said she contacted Ramsey because Castle suggested she should and because she didn't know much about his club. Following her inquiry, she said, she felt "this was not a legal enterprise, so why would I have it on the air?"

Wait a second, Castle says: The station airs sponsorship announcements with Natural Care for Wellness, a business that issues medicinal-marijuana recommendations, and his club's services are just as important in the community.

Nikki Coons, office manager at Natural Care for Wellness, says the business ran the sponsorship on KZFR for about a year and did not renew its contract because the sponsorship did not provide a substantial increase in business.

Castle smokes pot nearly every day. He says he isn't worried about health risks to his lungs, especially since his cannabis doesn't contain pesticides or other toxins often added to the drug.

Not only is his nonprofit club "in accordance with the law," he said, it's also helping stop crime. "Every person who joins [the Chico Cannabis Club] takes that many felonies off the street," he explained.

Castle often describes himself as a soldier fighting a long battle, not only against the police, but also against the criminals who want to rip him off, something that has happened to several med-pot users in recent weeks.

Criminals often attempt to seize marijuana because they believe that it's not legal, so the victim won't report the crime, Castle said. That's why he has the artwork and signs advertising the Chico Cannabis Club on his fence, which surrounds his home. He says he would rather be "in the light than in the dark." Even though he fears the police, he also values that he is protected by the law against criminals.

On his Web site, he offers this advice to med-pot users: "Do not ever open your door to cops or criminals."

Castle has been robbed at gunpoint for marijuana. In June, someone got past his fence and his 11-month-old border collie, and stole four pounds of herb, which he reported to the police. Still, Castle says he is lucky: Some members of his club have experienced far worse violence.

Ramsey agrees involvement with marijuana can be dangerous. "Legitimate growers," he said, should contact police in the event of a home invasion or burglary.

"People have to be careful--make sure you have a fence," Ramsey said. "If there is a situation where you can grow indoors, don't bring people in to see the grow. ... Word trickles out."

All the more reasons for local government to become involved, Castle says: "It's dangerous. If Chico wants to protect its citizens, they would address this issue, build a forum and get on it like a hungry lion.

"You have fear all the time. Some people can be curious. Some people will be aggressively curious. When you go to sleep at night ... after eight or 10 weeks, plants become a certain size, and all of a sudden you are up a few times at night. And it doesn't stop.

"It's always constant pressure when you are growing."

news-19891.jpeg

PHOTO BY GINGER MCGUIRE

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Chico News & Review, The (CA)
Copyright: 2008 Chico Community Publishing, Inc.
Website: Sacramento, Chico and Reno News & Review: source for local news and events
Author: Ginger McGuire
Copyright: 2008

I wish more people would offer this type of service to we "Joe the Plumber" types. :clap:

Selling Pot 'In The Light'...sorry, I just take this for granted in the Bay Area, there I go thinking again.

Sounds like heaven I want to go there I just had a guy try to sell 1/4 oz for $120.00
that is why I had to give it up being retired and all.......

If our representatives would pass the bill to make LEGAL REGULATE TAX we could all get a good honest bag for a 140.00 what a deal......What a block party that would be.

Give me liberty or give me death! We need people to step up.

^^ If it were legal and regulated/Taxed like it SHOULD be, we would go to retailer or gas stations, get carded, and get a pack of MJ cigs for the same price as tobacco... Like ramsey says "ITS A WEED" so why is it still illegal???

If our representatives would pass the bill to make LEGAL REGULATE TAX we could all get a good honest bag for a 140.00 what a deal...

In California the Governator has sent out his franchise tax board minions and, by God, all Medical Cannabis Dispensaries pay sales tax that they collect from their patrons.

You ask why a weed is illegal?

DRUG WAR FOR IDIOTS:

You can go to a doctor he can prescribe an opi*m derivative or a synthetic her*n they even have a THC pills. So why are some drugs illegal and some are legal. Even the most unsophisticated individual should be able to see the War on Drugs is a scam. It is a way to take 100 billion of your money plus the 50 billion lost in tax revenue and blow it. If you are on the receiving end (our representatives Senate/House) you get rich. The most important thing to me is the estimated 2,000,000 (that’s Two Million and growing every day) of our fellow American citizens in jail. They are non-violent marijuana users responsible free Americans with rights! They are your sons, daughters, parents and even grand parents. They are having homes taken away from third generation owners. They are the old man down the street that everyone likes jailed. They are college students having their futures ruined. They are mothers having their children taken away. They are sick people being deprived of a medicine that works for them. They are disabled people having their Medicare benefits taken away. They are mothers kicked out of public housing and made homeless. They are good young people with no record being raped and even killed in jail. They come out changed scarred for life with distrust for our system and fear for there so-called protectors. They are one in every three blacks. They are mainly the poor and powerless that can be discarded by our so-called leaders (Senate/House)! For what? Growing a weed that helps people, makes them feel better or just to get a buzz and relax in our hectic world (much like drinking a few legal beers without the health hazards of liquor). It is there God given right as Free Americans and they will not conform to a law that is wrong and based on lies started for pure racism in the 30s !!!
While the fat cats go to the doctor and get OxyContin (op*um derived), which is much stronger and more addictive than op*um ever dreamed of being ask Rush (Yet legal). Millions take the so-called legal drugs every year (legal = owned by major drug company and producing 1000% profits to them). Between liquor and so-called legal drugs 600,000 die every year. So why, when people VOTE and make marijuana legal, doctors in 12 states prescribe it. The FEDS STILL (emphasis on STILL) under the direction of our so called leaders (Senate/House) go in and arrest the doctor, his patients, the guy selling the weed, the guy renting the building to the guy selling the weed, even the one in the car with a person selling the weed even if they do not know about it and sending them all to jail? Without a fair trial they are not allowed by the federal judges to present the truth to defend them that is why they have a 99% conviction rate! With mandatory federal minimum sentences they do hard time with long sentences at 45K a year per person. (Ask why here) WHY YOU ASK?
It is all for pure simple greed period end of story!!
Corporations and others that do not want weed legal because it would cost them $$$$$:
Major pharmaceutical companies = estimates are as high as 80% loss. Billions in profits if marijuana were make legal. (It cures many common ailments maybe yours depression, insomnia, cramps, chronic pain, migraines, and many others!) With no side effects you cannot even overdose with weed it is impossible.
Drug Czar DEA = They would lose there jobs we save 20 billion of our $$$$$ so do not expect them to tell the truth about this war they will say anything you suckers will believe to keep the war, there job, going! And the money and power that goes with it.
Liquor industry = estimates are as high as a 40% market loss billions.
Private Jail industry = Total loss they would have to close we would save billions and quit putting our neighbors in jail and ruining there lives (even if they are poor or of color they are still fellow Americans with rights like the right of free choice!! How about life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? (To me the war is illegal and strips us of our rights as free Americans)
Drug Testing industry = Loss 44,000,000 a year
Our Representatives (Senate/House) = They would lose millions contributed to them through PACs every year from the corporations above. So don’t expect much in the way of truth, compassion or facts from these guys they have been lying to us for decades and taking the money to the bank in big sacks. Or they sell a house for $700,000.00 more than it’s worth to a needy constituent (not the poor kind one needing a favorable vote).
They would all lose money and will lie, steal and enslave millions to stop Free Americans from having access to a weed that hurts no one, any one can grow, helps millions ever day and they cannot find a way to profit from. Simple isn’t it?
One other point the right wing folks keep throwing up, “Making drugs legal would send the wrong message to the youth of our country.” I have heard that one a million times standard scare tactics they use. Today the youth of American are being drug tested in schools, arrested for a joint and having there lives ruined due to an arrest record, put in jail and being raped, killed and warped. Not to mention the distrust for any authority figure, they know its lies they smoke the stuff (like we use to get an old guy to buy us beer). I say they would be better off if we legalized and regulated drugs (Against the law to sell or give to minors like beer!) Illegal drugs will be sold to anyone with the money its already illegal so who cares, idiot!

NOW YOU KNOW!!
By the way we need your help open the window shout, “STOP THE WAR ON US.”
Save billions return respect for our rights show our representatives who runs this country! It is us the 75% that say you have had your fun with your war enslaving us it’s our turn!

Give me liberty or give me death!!

^^ That question was rhetorical... But thanks for the lengthy response lol.

Good question raised Mr. Stuntman.

Mr Hood1, your response?:hmmmm:

:peace:

I believe people will not support a law born of racism perpetuated by greed and supported by lies. The point was street dealers will sell to anyone if we could legalize then regulate and tax. Every time I write my rep in Washington this is what they reply, wrong message it will send to the youth of America. Using this fear tactic they imply it would destroy the youth. But in fact the War on US (drugs) is destroying our youth. I think they would prefer legalization to being put in jail and ruining their life.

Give me liberty or give me death!

rhetorical or not it is always my objective to give my opinion on why weed is illegal in an effort to gain support in ending this enslavement of the middle class and lower class to insure the upper class keeps getting the 100 billion we blow ever year not to mention the thousands of non-violent good people we are putting in jail it is unfair and against our for-fathers intent.

Give me liberty or give me death!

Back
Top Bottom