Tualatin Council Backtracks On Banning Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The General

Oregon - An attempt to keep medical marijuana dispensaries out of Tualatin unexpectedly collapsed. An ordinance allowing the city to deny licenses to businesses violating local, state or federal laws narrowly passed a first vote on Nov. 12. It needed to pass another vote to become law. But Councilor Joelle Davis, who voted for the ordinance initially, changed course at the Monday Nov. 25 meeting. She voted against bringing the ordinance for a second reading. In other words, a vote against a having a vote.

The business license rule change mirrored similar actions by cities including Medford, in response to Oregon legalizing medical marijuana retail outlets starting in 2014. Lawyers for the state and League of Oregon Cities disagree about whether local governments are allowed to place such restrictions on medical marijuana dispensaries. That legal uncertainty has made councilors wary of going after medical marijuana outlets until the question of local government regulation power is resolved.

"There's nothing more that I want than to see our community free of the scourge of drugs and the effects that it has on families," said Davis, explaining her vote. "I want to make sure we craft an ordinance that's bulletproof, that won't put in us in court and won't put our business community at risk." Mayor Lou Ogden first suggested such an ordinance at a June council work session, with the support of four other councilors. He said he thinks a majority of the Tualatin community would oppose such establishments.

"Frankly, I don't want medical marijuana dispensaries in Tualatin, period," Ogden said. "I don't want them to be zoned or restricted. I don't want them in Tualatin." Councilors Ed Truax and Wade Brooksby feared the ordinance may have unintended consequence for other businesses that could be forced to shut down over smaller infractions. "If we are going to invoke a nuclear option, we need to at least have an opportunity to examine the nuclear fallout," said Truax, who pushed for an ordinance targeting marijuana outlets more narrowly.

Ogden countered that Hillsboro, the "economic engine of Oregon," has prohibited licenses for unlawful businesses for years. Several residents, surprised by the council's reversal, wanted the community to take a stand against marijuana. "I don't think anyone sitting in this council wants to envision our community as a place where its easy access to medical marijuana dispensaries," said Sue Wise, a Tualatin parent.

No one on council offered a defense for such stores in Tualatin. They will revisit the issue at a Dec. 9 work session. Multiple councilors have asked to wait on the matter until the state finalizes medical marijuana regulations in January. Unlike Medford, no dispensaries are already operating in Tualatin or have applied to open shop, said Tualatin City Manager Sherilyn Lombos. According to state data, 125 people in the Tualatin zip code — less than half percent of the population -- hold medical marijuana cards.

Medical_Cannabis.png

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Oregonlive.com
Author: Fenit Nirappil
Contact: Contact Us | Oregonian Media GroupOregonian Media Group
Website: Tualatin council backtracks on banning medical marijuana dispensaries | OregonLive.com

Back
Top Bottom