U.S. to Yield Marijuana Jurisdiction to States

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is sending strong signals that President Obama - who as a candidate said states should be allowed to make their own rules on medical marijuana - will end raids on pot dispensaries in California.

Asked at a Washington news conference Wednesday about Drug Enforcement Administration raids in California since Obama took office last month, Holder said the administration has changed its policy.

"What the president said during the campaign, you'll be surprised to know, will be consistent with what we'll be doing here in law enforcement," he said. "What he said during the campaign is now American policy."

Bill Piper, national affairs director of the Drug Policy Alliance, a marijuana advocacy group, said the statement is encouraging.

"I think it definitely signals that Obama is moving in a new direction, that it means what he said on the campaign trail that marijuana should be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal justice issue," he said.

Piper said Obama has also indicated he will drop the federal government's long-standing opposition to health officials' needle-exchange programs for drug users.

During one campaign appearance, Obama recalled that his mother had died of cancer and said he saw no difference between doctor-prescribed morphine and marijuana as pain relievers. He told an interviewer in March that it was "entirely appropriate" for a state to legalize the medical use of marijuana "with the same controls as other drugs prescribed by doctors."

After the federal Drug Enforcement Agency raided a marijuana dispensary at South Lake Tahoe on Jan. 22, two days after Obama's inauguration, and four others in the Los Angeles area on Feb. 2, White House spokesman Nick Schapiro responded to advocacy groups' protests by noting that Obama had not yet appointed his drug policy team.

"The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws" and expects his appointees to follow that policy, Schapiro said.

The federal government has fought state medicinal pot laws since Californians voted in 1996 to repeal criminal penalties for medical use of marijuana.

President Bill Clinton's administration won a Supreme Court case, originating in Oakland, that allowed federal authorities to shut down nonprofit organizations that supplied medical marijuana to their members. Clinton's Justice Department was thwarted by federal courts in an attempt to punish California doctors who recommended marijuana to their patients.

President George W. Bush's administration went further, raiding medical marijuana growers and clinics, prosecuting suppliers under federal drug laws after winning another Supreme Court case and pressuring commercial property owners to evict marijuana dispensaries by threatening legal action.

The Bush administration also blocked a University of Massachusetts researcher's attempt to grow marijuana for studies of its medical properties. Piper, of the Drug Policy Alliance, said he hopes Obama will reverse that position.

"If you removed the obstacles to research," he said, "in 10 to 15 years, marijuana will be available in pharmacies."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Author: Bob Egelko
Copyright: 2009 Hearst Communications Inc.

"The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws" and expects his appointees to follow that policy, Schapiro said.

This does not say,

"The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent FEDERAL laws" and expects his appointees to follow that policy, Schapiro said.

See the difference? Marijuana is still highly illegal (as regulated as a nuclear bomb!) and subject to prosecution under Federal law. Obama and Holder have done nothing to change that reality.

We're not out of the woods yet. Far from it.

A dispensary being "in compliance"? Who is to say? The DEA, that's who. With their multi-month sting operations and with their confidential informants -- the moles they got inside co-ops and collectives posing as this and that.

Make no mistakes, friends, the DEA and other drug agents are still hot and raging towards marijuana and towards marijuana users.

"U.S. to Yield Marijuana Jurisdiction to States." Oh really? Better read the fine print.

smokeD

The attorney general hinted that Obama's stance on the issue is now "American policy."

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department said the statement doesn't mean anything. They say growing and selling marijuana is illegal and it's going to stay that way.

"There's absolutely no new information in this," stated Rob Bryn with the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department. "The Attorney General is talking about legal medical marijuana, not illegal marijuana sales that are masquerading as medical marijuana facilities."

Medical marijuana: Is this now an American policy? - KSBY-TV- msnbc.com

Well, well, what do we have here? More conflicting views?

Thanks, US government. You suck camels' balls.

-sds

You know what my message is to this worthless, godam government?

Take it all away. All the MMj - 215/420, all of it.

Put Mj back the way it was in the midst of the hottest "drug war" against people. Arrest and prosecute and imprison more people now than ever before for using weed.

You know why? Try to fund it, you government pr|cks. Try to have ALL black market money going to criminals and see how rich they'll get, and how broke you'll get.

This cursed nation will go bankrupt - the sooner the better. THEN it won't have ANY money for ANY "drug prohibition." The DEA will have to be 100% voluntary. A non-profit functioning on charitable donations. Then we'll have a truly free market.

Otherwise, EFF this Obama semi-measure "hinted at" donkey droppings "changes."

Wake me up when the war's over and it's finally ALL legal.

Take care, guys.

smokeD

If anyone gets a chance try to find and read a book called (report from iron mountain on the possibility & desirability) by Leonard C. Lewin. Very interesting reading, check it out if you can find one.

This does not say,

"The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent FEDERAL laws" and expects his appointees to follow that policy, Schapiro said.

See the difference? Marijuana is still highly illegal (as regulated as a nuclear bomb!) and subject to prosecution under Federal law. Obama and Holder have done nothing to change that reality.

We're not out of the woods yet. Far from it.

A dispensary being "in compliance"? Who is to say? The DEA, that's who. With their multi-month sting operations and with their confidential informants -- the moles they got inside co-ops and collectives posing as this and that.

Make no mistakes, friends, the DEA and other drug agents are still hot and raging towards marijuana and towards marijuana users.

"U.S. to Yield Marijuana Jurisdiction to States." Oh really? Better read the fine print.

smokeD

Seems to me that you have something there. MJ is still highly illegal. So is possessing xanax, klonopin, oramorph, etc. without a prescription.

My thinking then would be that the D will still be assumed to be going after those who have MJ without a script for it.

As to growing it, the same would apply to those not legally entitled to do so. I am guessing that it is ALSO highly illegal to make the meds I just mentioned in your home with no authorization.

The prescription drug manufacturers, OtOH, obviously have such authorization.

The question is: HOW does a prospective drug manufacturer obtain such authorization? I would assume it is a lengthy process, with much testing and then eventually human trials (which generally advertise for low-paid "volunteers" around college towns - can you imagine the line outside THAT research facillity? ;) ) and, assuming that there are no deaths or three-headed children born or whatever, it is approved and the drug is either classed as prescription, OTC, or whatever.

Such a process I would guess has NOTHING to do with the D and is handled through the FDA.

The only possible hole in my logic is that I do not know if any drugs that are on the D's sh*t-list have ever later gone through this process. Obviously, many of the ones that are there have done so at some point because they are routinely prescribed.

I am somewhat disappointed to sense that this is being shifted to "state's decision" vs. a federal one. After all, in a liberal fed administration there would theoretically be the possibility of hope - whereas, folks living in quite a few states (if it becomes wholly a state issue), well... Their only hope would be to move to another state.

Thoughts on my words, anyone?

Holder & Obam have done nothing but wishy washy polical
double-talk.

If Obama wants to let the states decide how to control medical marijuana
then all he has to do is make it Federal law. Real simple.

Pass a Federal law allowing the states to regulate medical marijuana.

Obama & Holder will never do that. They'll just let the DEA run rampant
and claim all their raids are legit.

If Obama wants to let the states decide how to control medical marijuana
then all he has to do is make it Federal law. Real simple.

Pass a Federal law allowing the states to regulate medical marijuana.

I agree with that statement 99%. I'm sure by "pass a Federal law" you mean sign into law,which would be great. But, the President is ultimately the head of all the Federal agencies. Which means if he really wants to leave MMJ or just MJ period up to the States, all he has to do is issue an executive order. Boom done. No more DEA raids, at least until the next administration.

I agree with that statement 99%. I'm sure by "pass a Federal law" you mean sign into law,which would be great. But, the President is ultimately the head of all the Federal agencies. Which means if he really wants to leave MMJ or just MJ period up to the States, all he has to do is issue an executive order. Boom done. No more DEA raids, at least until the next administration.

No I mean "pass a Federal Law" by proposing the legislation and getting it passed.

I don't think the President can legally suspend the Controlled Substances Act on his own wim.

That's why we have laws that we are all supposed to follow; even the President.

If Cally breaks Fed law the Fed's are required to enforce & that will be their case against the President. They'll make him change the law.

The President can't suspend Federal law by Executive order .

I bet the DEA will challenge them on this.

I can't see them roll over for him.

I'm no lawyer, so we'll see how it plays out. There's Fed cases going right now to see the extent of Executive powers.

Of course the President wants all powers (that's why you want to be President right) to himself but the Republic put limits on his power and
we are challenging Presidential powers right now on rendition, enemy combatant & torture.

We don't want Obama stopping the DEA. We want the law changed!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom