upgrading my lights from T5 to HID - what to do?

nightOWL

I currently have my 2 plants in a 2x4x8 tent under a 6 bulb T5 lamp. I bought a 600w lighting system with a digital ballast that allows for 50%, 75%, and 100%. I want to swap the lights out tonight... does anyone have a suggestion to transition to the much more powerful light? Should I put the light at the appropriate distance and start out at the 50% and move up from there or can I just fire up the lights at the appropriate distance and just rock and roll with them?

thanks in advance for any help!

I would exercise some cation but not so much that it slows them down. If it was me I would use full power and keep it about 18* from the top for the first week then lower to 1ft , or if you previously had your T5 lights at 1ft. foot I would use 75% power and 20-24"* from the plants for the first week.

After a week or so at that height I would lower the lights to 1 foot and run them at 100%.

Maybe others will chime in with their preferred method.

why kind of light?? open bulb or a air cooled hood with ducting??

you can proceed with caution and run them high for a minute,but get them down to avoid stretching. everything will depend on the conditions of the tent

I go from the t-5 to the 600/1000 in a day 1goes out,1 has to go back in.its the life of a perpetual garden

why kind of light?? open bulb or a air cooled hood with ducting??

you can proceed with caution and run them high for a minute,but get them down to avoid stretching. everything will depend on the conditions of the tent

I go from the t-5 to the 600/1000 in a day 1goes out,1 has to go back in.its the life of a perpetual garden

My new light is air cooled with duct/fan/etc...I put it about 18" away from the top of the plants at 75%... the temps with the new light are much lower than what I had with the T5 fixture... should i be worried about the amount of light or the heat with this transition?

no,put the light as close as heat will allow,,here is my 2x600 about 7 inches away,mind you my fan extracts the heat as fast as its made,its on a fan speed controller about half speed

only time you need to ez them in is if they are small,under 6 inches or so,it wont hurt them to bring them in slowly

DSC075703.JPG

Good tip c526 , and nice plants / plant you have there.
I myself use the light close like you suggest , although many people fear doing so , probably do to the bulbs heat.

A fan blowing over the tops of the plants ( & the bottom of lights) will keep the plants moving , reducing the heat build up from the bulbs. Not to mention the fan will blow air over the leaves that will increase the Co2 absorption making growth faster and or larger

Back
Top Bottom