Using dehumidifier water Question?

hogs

Hey guys/Gals...

Just wondering I seem to be throwing alot of water out from the Dehumidifer...Just wonder I test it for ph comes back around 5.5 give or take and the ppm is 0..
So my ? is can I use this water to mix my nutes up? I guess if the answer to that is yes then no problem to use it for flushing as well correct?

Thanks...!!!!

I'm not sure I would. Is the dehumidifier new? If so, right now it might not be putting anything in the discharge water. But after a year or so, the condensing element might start corroding and putting off something.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Have you searched through the forum on this?

Prairie

Good point Prairie. To be safe all you need to do is run it through a carbon filter, followed by adding Food Grade H202 (35%) mixed to 3%, which is one ounce 35% H2O2 per eleven ounces of water. This is also good emergency water for cooking drinking

Wow..Never would have thought using this water could or may have caused problems... Thanks for the replies so far....

You dehumidifier produces distilled water.
However PetFlora is correct in that some further purification is needed because there could be bacterias and pathogens that can be picked up by the machine and then infect the water.
Filter or pasteurize it and you have some distilled water just as good as the bottled stuff

Filter or pasteurize it...

How does one go about that cheaply or better yet Inexpensive??

I guess this would go as well with A/C units as well???

Pasteurize is probably cheaper and more effective against bacteria & pathogens. Simply put it in a pot and bring it to a boil and it should be good to go.
Same thing with the ac water. Boil before using.
You of course let it cool to room temp before using it. lol

Thanks guys much appreciated..oh just one more thing, If I was only going to use it say for the final flush..Then would it still be needed to boil..since there is only a week or so left before their heads come off?

I just bought a Kenmore Dehumidifier from Sears and the water bucket has a coating in it that prevents bacterias from growing. The water is less than 5 ppm when I tested it and read that this water is great for watering or mixxing nutrient solution with. only thing is if you use it for nutrient solution shake the bottle up or use an airstone for a few hourse to oxygenate the water before watering. Also, this can raise your copper ppm from what I have read but I have found big chunks of copper in potting soil so i wouldn't lose sleep over it. Dehumidifier water should be fine for all purposes.

Thanks ..YEah I hjave been using it since my last post...My well water is like 380 to 420 ppm out of the tap and dehumidifier is like 10 thats it..seems to work good for me....!

Back
Top Bottom