Using grow room heat to save on heat bill?

Alaska Buds

So here is an off the wall thought and idea I'm curious if anyone has tried or done.

I run a 1000w HPS in my flower room and 600w MH FOR VEG. Living in colder climates that get -30 sometimes in the winter. We spend a lot to heat our homes here. So the big question anyone tried using a flow through carbon filter and ducting to warm a few extra rooms with no smell? If I can harness this heat I'm thinking could save some dough.

Thoughts or personal experience?

Sounds so crazy it just might work!!! I'm sure it'll help. But I wouldn't totally rely on it as a main source. You are helping the heater therefore it would probably help you save some power

Just run the ducting through the room you want to heat, the smell stays in the ducting but some of the heat will dissapate into the room.

I use the ambient temperature my tents give off to heat the hallway and kitchen next to the room the tents are in ;)

65% of the electricity you put into HID bulbs is converted to heat, so you certainly pay for it, might as well put it to good use :thumb:

Alaska Buds btus are btus. Any heat that can be distributed will reduce the load in the primary heat source.

The condensation could be an issue depending how the rh is in your house. Watch the windows for moisture build up.

Whats your plan to distribute the heat to other rooms?

I plan to try the same thing this year. I know the air will be clean. Filters are great. Vented to the basement. Normal basement temps will be higher which will make heating the house cheaper.

Awesome next week I will try it out and post pics of the setup. Let you know how it goes. Heating underneath the house is a great idea.

1 real treat I have found growing in cold temps. If it has purple in it you will see it. While the lights create plenty of heat during on times. Night time temps drop to the 50's. Low normal temps and cold nights make for some cool looking buds.

Now I'm excited. I'm going to run a 6 inch duct under my floor with a carbon filter at the end. Same in hallway using a screen in the grow room side as a bug deterrent in the ducts. Filters will be spendy but worth it. Right now I don't use a filter but I also live away from other houses. I will use speedy adjusters for the six inch inline booster fans on a temp control. We heat with oil here in the sticks so this should save big for me. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom