Veg growth when to add nutrients?

Dewbie

My sprout is 9days old and starting to produce a leaf in the middle (I assume a leaf lol). It's not been potted yet I started in those jiffy seed starter things. My question is when should I start using nutrients to help vegetation growth? What type/brand of nutrients can I buy that will work good from Wally world or lowes? Can I add a little used coffee grounds to it right now for slow release of N?

NO, don't use coffee grounds right now. I've heard of people using Schultz All Purpose Plant Food (10-15-15) before. I have personally until I was able to get to a grow store. It can work but if ur not in control of ur PH and PPMs (parts per million) then I dunno what ur gonna do. At the introduction of nutes I'd start in the 250-300 PPM range. Some people use Miracle Grow products and swear by them. Personally I do my best to stay away from em. Hope this helps some. When a good sized, fuzzy looking, root system protrudes from the sides of the cubes and u can see new growth forming, its time to transplant to ur growung medium. Good luck.

Ok will the container tell me the ppm mixture to use?

The only way i know to measure/monitor ppms is to buy a pen or meter. I paid about $80 for mine if I remember correctly. Now I did have a single KILLER grow without one, but have been unable to duplicate it since. Grows go much better when PH and PPMs can be controlled for me.

Using quarter (1/4) strength nutrients should be just fine at that stage of growth & work up to 1/2 strength with in 2 weeks by 2nd to 3rd week you should be at full strength.

You never stated whether your are growing in soil, coco etc

Or even hydro, DWC etc rock wool, hydroton pebbles etc where EC/PPM is more important along with regular PH testing.

If using a man made chemical nutrients its important to flush your plants every 10 to 14 days to prevent salt builds ups of nutrients etc which can cause lock outs, defieciencys etc no matter what growing medium or techinque used.

I like organics myself & simple don't bother with Ph, Ec/PPM testing as friendly bacteria/microbes 'n' what not balance it all out over a short peroid of time :love:

Back
Top Bottom