ventalation advice for a closet grow

NDERGROUND

hey guys
total nube, i've been obsessively soaking up all the knowledge on these forums. its a great place.

so here's my plan for my first grow. i will start out with some bagseed i got from some killer Jack Herer obtained from an LA clinic (unheard of) and want to try them in a Hempy setup. i have a slight modification on the hempy i want to try, but that's for another thread. i have some flourescent TL's for the seedlings and am debating between 250 and 400w HID. (ideally be able to use MH for veg and HPS for flower). the one part that is a bit of a riddle is the ventilation. this is where i need some advise.

It's a long skinny closet space that is 3'8" wide (where i plan to set up the grow, wider in other places) by about 22' long. about 8 foot ceilings. there are 3 doors, one about 8 feet from the one side that ends in an under-the-stairs shape, one at the other side and one at that very end (that leads to the bathroom). there are no windows or access to the outside without going through other rooms. big holes in the floor or walls is not an option as i rent an antique apartment. my plan is to build a simple false wall with poly and some bracing about 12 feet in from the bathroom side. this will be the grow room side. the other side will remain cluttered with my crap. i will have a vent fan that blows from the grow room side into the closet side, and let it passively escape through the door into my living room. intake will be passive from around the two doors (bathroom and dining room). so the whole grow room is about 12x4, and the actual grow space will be about 3x4', taking up the whole width of the closet up to the false wall. the next step, depending on how the first grow goes, would be to have a veg cabinet of some sort in the spare grow room space so can start messing with clones and all that, but one thing at a time.

i'd prefer to keep the smell down, but what i'm doing is 'legal' here so the stakes arent very high on that front, but i'm worried about keeping the heat down enough and being able to get enough fresh air in there. the 2 doors that will provide the passive intake should stay closed most of the time for cleanliness, and there seems to be an imperfect enough seal around them for some airflow... but also some light flow. killing the light would also kill the air. and making any holes in them for some proper vents is again not an option. and making the intake come from the other side of the closet seems counter productive because that is where i'm dumping my exhaust.

am i making sense? any advice on this riddle? is there any way can i get away with a 400w in this setup? what cfm should i look for in a fan? would venting out from a cooltube style light hood be the best way?

thanks in advance for your help guys. just reading has answered most of my questions, but my space is a weird one.

cheers

well, after all this headscratching i think i'm going to start small. i found a dresser my neighbor left behind the house that i took in to make a cabinet out of with a bunch of cfl's. I've seen some impressive grow journals, and i'm a noob so i want to keep it simple. this will probably be my setup for the first grow or two untill i ramp up to an HID system and use this cabinet as a veg room.

so... problem solved for now...

Back
Top Bottom