Voting Yes on Propostion 19 Only Way to Regulate

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
California voters this November will decide on Proposition 19, which legalizes the private-adult possession and use of limited quantities of marijuana, and allows local governments to regulate its commercial production and retail distribution.

Proposition 19 is endorsed by a broad range of leading criminal justice, civil rights and religious organizations. These include the National Black Police Association, the California Council of Churches IMPACT, the California National Association for the Advancement of Colored People ( NAACP ), the Service Employees International Union ( SEIU ), the California League of United Latin American Citizens, the Latino Voters League, the Progressive Jewish Alliance and the United Food and Commercial Workers ( UFCW ), Western States Council.

These groups, as well as dozens of others, back Proposition 19 because it will impose common-sense regulations and controls to an illicit market that is currently out of control. Only through legalization and regulation can we control who produces marijuana, who distributes it, and where and when it may be lawfully consumed.

Marijuana prohibition has created a violent criminal market run by international drug cartels. Proposition 19 will eliminate the involvement of these criminal enterprises, including Mexican drug traffickers, from the California marijuana market.

According to a just-released study by the nonpartisan RAND Drug Policy Research Center: "Legalizing marijuana in California would effectively eliminate Mexican DTOs' ( drug trafficking organizations ) revenues from supplying Mexican-grown marijuana to the California market. ... even with taxes, legally produced marijuana would likely cost no more than would illegal marijuana from Mexico and would cost less than half as much per unit of THC.

"Thus, the needs of the California market would be supplied by the new legal industry."

Proposition 19 is carefully written to promote public safety. It maintains strict criminal penalties for driving under the influence, increases penalties for providing pot to minors and bans its consumption in public, including on school grounds.

It also would put police priorities where they belong -- away from targeting adults who use marijuana responsibly and toward targeting violent crime and gang activity.

Passage of Proposition 19 will potentially raise billions of dollars in new and desperately needed revenue. Today, California faces historic deficits that could lead to higher taxes and fees for the public and more cuts to vital services. Yet, right now, there are $14 billion in marijuana transactions taking place in California. Proposition 19 enables state and local governments to tax these transactions to fund and preserve vital services. According to the state's tax collector, the Board of Equalization, taxing marijuana like alcohol would generate $1.4 billion in annual revenue -- monies which could fund jobs, health care, public safety, parks, roads, transportation and more.

Tens of millions of Californians agree that it is time to change our outdated and failed marijuana policies. Outlawing marijuana hasn't stopped an estimated one in 10 Californians from using marijuana, nor has it reduced the public's access to it. Proposition 19 will control the production and distribution of marijuana, make it harder for kids to get it, weaken the cartels, focus police resources on violent crime and generate billions in revenue and savings.

We've tried prohibition. Now let's try common sense. Vote yes on Proposition 19.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Reporter, The (Vacaville, CA)
Copyright: 2010 The Reporter
Details: MapInc
Author: Nate Bradley
Note: Nate Bradley, is a member of Law Enforcement Against
Prohibition and a former police officer in Wheatland.

Must be nice for some other counties... however I just do not see it that way. Right now in my county they are working on a total ban and using the danger to your children clause to take your children if you grow. No I am not going to move... I just can not bring myself to vote in a prop that would give prohibitionists total control over taxing, regulating and banning as they see fit. I just can not do it.

Proposition 19, California's "tax and regulate" marijuana legalization initiative, is winning, according to the latest poll results. A Public Policy Institute of California poll released Thursday Sept 30th, had support for Prop 19 at 52%, with 41% opposed and 7% undecided... But Not Yet....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CNN) - Oct 22, A new poll indicates that a majority of likely voters in California oppose the state's proposition to legalize marijuana.

According to a USC/Los Angeles Times Poll, 51 percent of likely voters said they would vote against Proposition 19, which would allow people 21 years-old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Thirty-nine percent of likely voters said they support the measure.

Support for the ballot initiative also varies widely by age and race, according to the poll. Fifty-five percent of likely voters aged 18-29 said they support the measure, while 60 percent of those over the age of 65 oppose legalizing marijuana. Only 28 percent of those 65 and older said they support the measure. Latino voters indicated the strongest opposition to Prop 19. Fifty-seven percent said they opposed the measure, compared to 48 percent of white voters, and 49 percent of black voters. But wait, here is another one...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also see our newer post about how pot-legalization backers say their own data shows Prop. 19 winning.

If you're a stoner and you want this legal-weed thing to happen in California, you better set your alarm clocks early two Tuesdays from now and get your ass to the voting booth.

Yet another poll shows Prop. 19, the initiative that would allow folks 21 and older to hold up to an ounce of pot, going down. But this one has it all but defeated, with 51 percent of likely voters indicating they're saying no, according to the latest USC College/Los Angeles Times poll.

Only 39 percent of those polled said they were giving legal pot a thumbs up, according to numbers provided to the Weekly by USC.

Where art thou, my stoners?

With support for snuffing this thing out above 50 percent, its chances are dim. Here's Prop. 19's Achilles heel: If the voting was limited to the 18-to-29 set, it would pass. Fifty-five percent of those folks are A-okay with it.

But 60 percent of the over-65 crowd say no. And here's the thing. Those people, they're not missing the election. They live for elections. And early bird specials at Norms. The 18-to-29 set? Good luck getting them out to the polls.

Ethnically speaking, Latinos are saying no at a rate of 57 percent
. Whites: 48 percent. African-Americans: 49 percent. And the ladies, they don't like it either: 53 percent are opposed, according to the USC/Times poll.

Those still undecided: Nine percent. Those folks could still win this thing, but it seems like a long shot to us.

No local community can ban home grown rec pot after 19 passes and they cant shut down legal medical grows or arrest medical patients with more than their recommendation allows!Despite what the ~4 naysayers on 420mag would tell you.

Those that want their cites or counties to allow commercial sales and grows under 19 after it passes need to insist to your elected reps exactly what you want done locally - or dont re elect them. Go to your local council meeting and stand up and be heard!

Why should those of us that live in communities with the right ideas about how to regulate continue to be criminals just cause your muni has its head up its ass?

Sorry but show me where this is so. It is done by the elected officials that were elected by the people. They have the backing of the people in the concervitive county and city in which I live. This prop gives them all the power they need to do so regardless of how much we complain. Yes you can home grow... and by all means do so... but for those with kids... the county has adopted the notion that you are a danger to your children and will do everything to take them away. So please tell me in all your wisdom about this prop... how it will protect me.

I have been googling polls on this for weeks and it seems to me that Prop 19 is in trouble. It makes me sad to not make this next step forward.

Honestly I really think this will pass. I think the powers that control the media would like you to think there is no hope. I for one hope it is a step forward but from what I have read and where I live... it scares me. I have alot of friends thinking this is the answer. I just do not see it that way.

I hear a lot of how will Prop.19 protect ME, while people should instead be thinking how will Prop.19 protect the MANY?

And how will Prop.19 futher the cause to push the Cannabis Movement to
protect Many in other non-forgiving states?

Well this prop will only protect a certain few... and not the many. As certain Counties and cities are not buying into prop19... so yes you are right Medicalneed... prop 19 will only protect the me folks.

19 wont really do as much for me as it will for the brown skinned users...and the environment... and help reduce violence to boot.

How could you think of voting no?

Because... having seen the results of prop's and bills that have shades of grey cause heartache and missory for people is why I can vote no. I believe it will do more harm than good and only serve those in liberal communities and the rest will be stuck with leagalities.

GnajaAL2, did you vote against 215 because of its grayness?

Actually I did. It passed anyways and I was hard core against it. I am sorry that you do not read all the post's so I will restate it again for you. I am a Californian, apache, and a veteran. I have a back injury and that is what changed my mind on mmj.... so I do not see the concervitives backing this in any way shape or form. With that said... I see a possible backlash because of people's irresponsibility and hurting both sides of the fence in this movement. I just do not see how insults can push me to vote yes... and just for that... I will find five people tomorrow to vote no. Reason... is that if people like you like throwing insults in order to back your stance... I would venture to guess you are not thinking with a clear mind nor are you the one I would consider as a role model for prop19.

Please forgive me for not remembering every single 420 post and all the personal back story's of the members...I misplaced my spreadsheet.

So you voted against 215, but your a legal MMJ patient? and now you want to vote against recreational legalization for the healthy? Wow.

You stand to accuse my stance or feel that I have some secret alternative motive... but I do not. It is a crappy prop who only serves a few and not the whole. Again it will never get past the conservitive states... ever. MMJ is what changed my thoughts... not rec use. I see it differently than most... I see the rec use as preventitive medicine.

ganjaal2 i disagree, but thats what makes the country work. however, us inthe "other" states NEED you guys to vote. this will jumpstart it for the country. do NOT be so selfish. thats the problem is everyone says the status quo is as good as we can expect. Legalize this and stop making this a pecker measuring contest.

That is the thing... I am not being selfish... I am being practical and thinking it out. I have talked with representitives and concervitives and they stand by MMJ but not Rec. So instead of being desporate... I have chosen to push the medical aspect as they have not rooom to argue the facts.

That is the problem with political discussions.... People can get passionate. It is like a game that one wins and the other loses. Once people are convinced of a political stance giving in or changing one's mind is tantamount to being weak or easily influenced. Many times mutual respect for the other's point of view is ignored. The paradox, to me, is that MJ is Hippie Lettuce, a substance for Free Thinkers and something for people that believe that a world can live in peace. It is not about piles of money or guns or even corporations. That is my view on it.

The fact that MJ is illegal is based on propaganda and misinformation in a time before the information age. The special interest that made MJ illegal in the 30s could not do it that way again. When I see steps on reversing this law I see it as progress in the direction of making things right.

...MJ is Hippie Lettuce, a substance for Free Thinkers and something for people that believe that a world can live in peace. It is not about piles of money or guns or even corporations.....

:thumb:

We should be able to discuss & disagree peacefully. We all want the same things in the long run and just have differing opinions about the best ways to go about getting there. Lets stop getting so personal about this.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom