Walmart Facing Boycott From Marijuana Reform Supporters

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A quickly growing effort in the marijuana reform community is calling for a boycott of Walmart. News hit the streets last week that a Michigan man who is a legal medical marijuana patient was fired after failing a drug test. Though the Arkansas based chain has fought critics of its internal policies before, this time it could be sticky.

WZZM reported “Joseph Casias tested positive for marijuana during a routine worker’s compensation drug screen. Casias had worked for the Arkansas based chain for five years, and was the Battle Creek store’s Associate of the Year in 2008. Casias has sinus cancer, which is currently in remission, and an inoperable brain tumor. To treat the pain caused by both diseases, his doctor recommended he use marijuana.”

When Casias revealed in later interviews that Walmart was now also fighting his unemployment benefits the outrage got measurably louder.

Students for Sensible Drug Policy, the Marijuana Policy Project along with numerous local NORML Chapters and individuals have quickly organized marijuana reform supporters to stop shopping at the retail giant.

The ACLU of Michigan is also backing Casias according to a report today from The Michigan Messenger: “He {ACLU rep} also notes that in order for a business to challenge unemployment benefits, it must prove the employee was fired for cause. In other words, Walmart has to prove Casias was fired for breaking the law or failing to do his job. READ FULL”

Medical marijuana patients, though legal under state laws, are often discriminated against in this manner. Corporations hide behind legal and contractual screens rather than make policies for their therapeutic cannabis employees. Although most medical marijuana legislation, including New Jersey’s, specifically outlaw any business related sanctions against patients just for being registered, there are no provisions for special consideration during any instance when a workplace drug test is issued.

Walmart's recent actions against Casias seem to embody a nationwide problem for legal cannabis patients. Facebook groups are popping up to push the boycott and MPP has created a website asking for supporters to make a phone call to the corporation. CLICK HERE

Ken Wolski at the Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey is supporting the Walmart boycott from the Garden State, “It’s an outrageous corporate decision to fire a hard working cancer patient, who is using medical marijuana in accordance with state law. We hope that patients here won’t face the same situation.”

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: examiner.com
Author: Chris Goldstein
Copyright: 2010 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website: Walmart facing boycott from marijuana reform supporters

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

The ACLU of Michigan is also backing Casias according to a report today from The Michigan Messenger: “He {ACLU rep} also notes that in order for a business to challenge unemployment benefits, it must prove the employee was fired for cause. In other words, Walmart has to prove Casias was fired for breaking the law or failing to do his job.

Unemployment hearings are not a court of law. If a person has been denied unemployment benefits, it is actually up to the individual or their representation to show that they did not do anything knowingly or willingly wrong. Unemployment hearings are not that difficult to win and a win does not mean you get your job back. I think this one is a slam dunk for Casias. It's funny, there's no mention of a civil lawsuit. Maybe that is in the works. Wal Mart - the nation's most sued company.

Well, do we have people walking at wal-mart, with picket signs ?? I don't see nothing happening at the local level, here !! I mean, do we have a way to get the word out ?? Only a few belong to 420 mag.. Can we get this posted on the cable television stations. I don't think the word is out !! I mean, if i did'nt read it on 420 mag., then i would'nt know !!

Well, do we have people walking at wal-mart, with picket signs ?? I don't see nothing happening at the local level, here !! I mean, do we have a way to get the word out ?? Only a few belong to 420 mag.. Can we get this posted on the cable television stations. I don't think the word is out !! I mean, if i did'nt read it on 420 mag., then i would'nt know !!

Your absolutely right, I too read of this here several days ago and still have heard nothing on the news about it, I live approx. 25 miles from Battle Creek and didn't even hear of the gathering at the Battle Creek walmart in support of Joseph until the day after, I would have been there, I am writing the local news stations.

I wrote their corporate offices and complained as well told them I'd be boycotting their stores here , all I got back was an e-mail that said thanks for your interest ! That was it ! Screw Wal-Mart !!

free2blaze, I the community and the Movement Thank You!

If this is going to go big it needs to start "Local" do what you can and let it happen if it will, and I think it will if the Locals stand up and be Counted.

I know both NORML and MPP have it up on their sites.

Very Commendable. Hats off.

I was at the rally in Battle Creek on Sunday. Three tv stations came within one hour. Both of the compassion clubs that service Calhoun and Battle Creek were there, as well as people from all over the state. I met a couple from Lapeer county. Mr. G Fransico was there.

We know this man is operating within the confines of the law in his jurisdiction, but this has no effect on Wal-mart's own company policy.

The fact is he signed an employment contract, which included submitting to a background check and drug screening. Documents that I personally would never consider putting my name to, but alas, sometimes we do what we must to be employed.

So in failing to prove that he was breaking the law or somehow lacking in his duties in the workplace, he is fully entitled to his unemployment benefits. However, him being fired was not a violation of any hiring principle and the decision is backed by the contract he signed. He was in violation of company policy and that is all that is required for Wal-mart to fire him.

What we need is major reform in law at the Federal level. Firing someone for the legal use of cannabis to treat a medical condition could then be construed as a form of workplace discrimination. :peace:

free2blaze, I the community and the Movement Thank You!

If this is going to go big it needs to start "Local" do what you can and let it happen if it will, and I think it will if the Locals stand up and be Counted.

I know both NORML and MPP have it up on their sites.

Very Commendable. Hats off.
I respectuffly disagree !! I think it should start on a national level. If the people hear on the evening news, that wal-mart is being boycotted, then people will make their own decision!! But how else are they going to be informed ?? I hav'nt been to wal-mart since i heard of this, But like i said originally, I only know because I'm a member of 420 magazine. As everyone should be !! Whoever's in charge of communicating with the public, need's to spend a few bucks get the medias attention. Like a walk out by wal-mart employees !! Wait till wally world trys to operate without us !! Same old right wing bs, control and conquer !! Stupid butheads !! Sounds to me like these policys were made in Arkansas !! Ha !! :reading420magazine::popcorn::peacetwo:

Yes SlowPuffer it is national but, I was looking at it as if the locals keep with it it will stay National , not just dying off. Does that make sense.

A lot of things go national then just fade away.

Like some have posted they haven't seen any movement out side "Their" local walFart.

I am looking ahead when I commented on it.

I just see that if the locals fade out it will overall I guess.

Yes SlowPuffer it is national but, I was looking at it as if the locals keep with it it will stay National , not just dying off. Does that make sense.

A lot of things go national then just fade away.

Like some have posted they haven't seen any movement out side "Their" local walFart.

I am looking ahead when I commented on it.

I just see that if the locals fade out it will overall I guess.
Well, the parking lot was full of cars , today, when I drove by my wally-world. I remember 20 yrs. ago when these dummass neighbors of mine, voted for this one, and two yrs. later, our downtown looked like a goast town. It's the same story in every community in this nation !! Now they want to build a super wal-mart 2 miles from my house. They're not happy, because the grocery stores are still in business. Just like the 1s. time, they wont get my vote, but i think i'm in the minority, because this community of 8 thousand is hurting for work.:reading420magazine:

Im pretty sure the word is being spread like wild ganja flowers in a field of wild grass.
ive seen this topic on the news the past couple days!
keep up the good work fellow tokers

We know this man is operating within the confines of the law in his jurisdiction, but this has no effect on Wal-mart's own company policy.

The fact is he signed an employment contract, which included submitting to a background check and drug screening. Documents that I personally would never consider putting my name to, but alas, sometimes we do what we must to be employed.

So in failing to prove that he was breaking the law or somehow lacking in his duties in the workplace, he is fully entitled to his unemployment benefits. However, him being fired was not a violation of any hiring principle and the decision is backed by the contract he signed. He was in violation of company policy and that is all that is required for Wal-mart to fire him.

What we need is major reform in law at the Federal level. Firing someone for the legal use of cannabis to treat a medical condition could then be construed as a form of workplace discrimination. :peace:

RooRman, you make alot of great points but I would not call employment at Wal Mart employment through a contract. It is anything but a contract. I cannot speak for the state of Michigan but here in California employees at Wal Mart are "at will" employees, meaning they came be let go for any reason or no reason at all. Usually there is no reason given. The only way to have a binding contract wuld be for the employee to form a union and negotiate a contract that includes grievance language. One more point is that Casias was forced by Wal Mart to submit to a drug test because he was claiming he suffered an on-the-job injury. I believe the drug test itself is illegal and should be removed as a way of enforcing company policy.

So how about an update ?? We're out of toilet paper, paper towels, dog food, and a few other things !! We live in an area that wally world is the only big store within 15 miles. I still hav'nt seen anything on my evening news or local news about anyone boycotting wal-mart !! And the parking lot is still full ?? Are you sure this is not just a Michigan thing ??:surf::peacetwo:

RooRman, you make alot of great points but I would not call employment at Wal Mart employment through a contract. It is anything but a contract. I cannot speak for the state of Michigan but here in California employees at Wal Mart are "at will" employees, meaning they came be let go for any reason or no reason at all.

I believe Michigan employees are considered "at will" as well.

I believe the drug test itself is illegal and should be removed as a way of enforcing company policy.

I agree 110%. Up until it effects the persons ability to perform their duties at work, what an individual does or the substances they put into their body on their own time is no one's business but their own. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom