Water Temp, Important?

Froglips

I was talking to an expert in one of the grow shops here, and I learned something very interesting.

Something to Think About:

Your grow room is probably real close to 80 Degrees F, or a little more. So the water in the res is that temperature as well. Then add in the fact you are (Read: 'should be') pumping air into it from something that is sucking room temperature air, and that pretty much guarantees that the water in your res is at least room temperature, and probably more.

I guess when water hits 85 Degrees F and above, it does not matter how much air you pump into it anymore, because it is considered dead water that can not hold any Oxygen, and now has the very high probability of breeding bad things in your res. There is a word for this, but I can not remember it. I think it started with an "A" though. :eek:)

This guy was saying that plants' root systems love water that is ~68 Degrees. No colder! It is supposedly the best temp to hold the maximum amount of Oxygen in the water as possible.

Anyway, he said that sticking a frozen water bottle in the res is a cheap and easy way to keep the temp in your res down between 75-68 Degrees F.

I have been doing it for like 3 days now, and I have to say that they really seem to like it, and it seems like it would be much more refreshing to drink at that temperature in the first place.

I have been freezing two 1-Gallon containers that do not leak, and sticking them in on a 12 hour rotation. I have been checking the temperature every few hours, and it stays between 76-68 Degrees F like this. The containers are actually completely thawed to water within 2.5 hours, so I will be using a 3rd container, and changing the rotation to am 8-10 hour rotation.

Just thought you-all might be interested in yet another seemingly non-important issue with growing, that turns out to be a hell of a lot more important than one would think.

Try it, your plants will love you for it! :eek:)

Water temps are one of the first thing I ask about when folks are having problems with Hydro.

I fought and fought trying to keep the temps down in the res. Wrapped it in insulation, covered the top with insulation, made sure the bottom was on the bare basement floor, and kept the room air under 80.

In my flowering closet this works ok. Hot summer does drive it up and I have to be watchful. In my veg closet, nothing passive would work. I ended up spending around $120 and got a mini fridge and 30 foot of tubing. Made my own chiller. Now I have to be watchful that it does not go below 65.

Prairie

I have heard that plants love a cooler res temp too but I never got the chance to hear a number associated with this. Thanks for the very useful information!

I've used the frozen water bottle trick myself, works great in a pinch.
I saw the mini fridge and I think it was a bucket of water with a stainless steel coil in it. Cool shit for sure.
:thumb:

I am lazy. I have a water chiller. Turn the dial to 68 and walk away!

I am lazy. I have a water chiller. Turn the dial to 68 and walk away!

hahaha ya me to. found a used saltwater aquarium chiller for 150 bucks and hooked it up, works awesome!

and im going to have to call BS on your buddy sorry. water does not go "dead" past 85 degree's if that were true my fish tanks would be barren waste lands.

theres no real number to when the waters oxygen cuts off, just a guide that as the temps rise, the oxygen level goes down.
and he is correct that 68 is optimal. 75 is the max for sure. and 60's is too cool. (60 will work but the root growth is slow)

Back
Top Bottom