Watery Clonex gel, is it still usable?

jokerlola

I went to use Clonex gel for some cuttings and noticed it's gone watery is is no longer a gel. I've never contaminated the jar, always pour what I need into a clean shot glass and never pour the excess back or stick cutting directly into the jar. It is about 2 years old. Is it still usable?

I went to use Clonex gel for some cuttings and noticed it's gone watery is is no longer a gel. I've never contaminated the jar, always pour what I need into a clean shot glass and never pour the excess back or stick cutting directly into the jar. It is about 2 years old. Is it still usable?

The rooting hormone remains viable after the product becomes liquefied - as long as it hasn't changed to a gray color. That is from the manufacturer, who also states that keeping the product in the refrigerator can cause it to remain a gel longer. It doesn't state how much longer, though, just longer than if it was merely chucked into a cabinet in between uses. (The company that makes Olivia's Cloning Gel basically states the same thing, if anyone was wondering.)

Bo's method works. So does not using any adulterant, just making a good cut and sticking it into a glass of water. Or (most of the time) into some kind of planting medium, as long as it retains moisture long enough for the first root to form. I got into a phase for a while in which I'd take cuttings and purposely allow them to wilt - just so I could see them stand back up when I recut the ends and stuck them in water :rofl: . <SHRUGS> I knew, at that point, that they'd be fine.

Cloning aids mostly just hasten the process. Probably help people not worry so much, too. Usually, by the time a gardener thinks to start using the things, they've also learned good garden hygiene and to neither allow their cuttings to dry out nor to rot. So they become successful. Then, sooner or later, they'll run out of the juice/gel/powder or their gizmo will break - and they're still largely successful, lol.

Try aloe gel fresh cutting - dip cut end into the aloe leaf where you cut the leaf off. Dip into the gel and then into water.... works better than clonex and not a harmful chemical.
I have used Aloe in the past and raw honey as well. So you feel Aloe works better? Thats good to know! I've always had a couple of Aloe plants and I guess I will use it instead of taking a chance on the watery Clonex. It is still purple but it's consistency doesn't look like enough will adhere to the stem enough.

I will try to hit up the Clonex company and see if they will send me a replacement. I hate throwing something away I paid good money for.

I will try to hit up the Clonex company and see if they will send me a replacement. I hate throwing something away I paid good money for.

I did that, years ago. I was asked if the bottle was less than two years old (yes). Then I was asked if I stored it on the refrigerator. When I answered that I hadn't, I was told that I must have allowed it to get too hot. Hopefully, you'll have better luck. Maybe start the conversation by saying, "I kept it in the refrigerator, and it's less than two years old," heh.

I got mad and sent an email to the Olivia's people, griping about my experience and asking if their stuff was any good. The rep offered to send me a bottle of their gel and a quart of Olivia's Cloning Solution nutrient so I could decide for myself. I couldn't tell any difference in function between the two brands, to be honest. But I was happier with the treatment I received from the latter.

I did that, years ago. I was asked if the bottle was less than two years old (yes). Then I was asked if I stored it on the refrigerator. When I answered that I hadn't, I was told that I must have allowed it to get too hot. Hopefully, you'll have better luck. Maybe start the conversation by saying, "I kept it in the refrigerator, and it's less than two years old," heh.

I got mad and sent an email to the Olivia's people, griping about my experience and asking if their stuff was any good. The rep offered to send me a bottle of their gel and a quart of Olivia's Cloning Solution nutrient so I could decide for myself. I couldn't tell any difference in function between the two brands, to be honest. But I was happier with the treatment I received from the latter.
Thanks for the tip. No I didn’t store it in the fridge but I stored it in a pantry where I’ve stored food and where the temp hasn’t gone over 75 and usually stays around 70 24/7/365. I actually bought the jar from their booth at the Denver Indo Expo in Jan of 2020. No expiration on the label and it doesn’t say anything about needing to be stored in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom