Weeding Out Drugs From Welfare

420 Warrior

Welfare tends to be a polarizing issue in America. Whether you believe welfare recipients are (a) little more than lazy drug addicts suckling from the teat of America's hard-working middle class, (b) that they are good people who have temporarily fallen on hard times, or (c) something in between, you probably have a strong opinion on the subject.

I'm a news junkie, and consume with gusto, highbrow and lowbrow alike. And it seems to me that choice (a) is, more and more, the go-to thinking of many of us above the poverty line.

"Taxpayers have a vested interest in making sure that their hard-earned tax dollars are not being used to subsidize drug addiction," says Rep. Jason Spencer, R-Woodbine, GA. And to date, 32 states, have decided the best solution to this problem is to drug test potential welfare recipients.

Governor Rick Scott of Florida, who championed the idea of bringing drug tests to Floridian welfare recipients, recently signed a bill into law that would do just that.

Since July, new applicants for welfare in Florida must not only take a drug test to receive benefits, but they have had to foot the bill, and are reimbursed if they pass.

If they fail they must wait one year to reapply for benefits. Meantime, at the federal level Senator David Vitter, R-Louisiana, is sponsoring the Drug Free Families Act of 2011, which would require all 50 states to drug-test welfare applicants.

Never mind that the notion that taxpayers are funding welfare recipients' drug habits has been proven untrue. Never mind that the monthly government aid that welfare recipients receive would seem a pittance to most readers of this article: $180 for a single person or $364 for a family of four.

Never mind that such drug tests may be unconstitutional.

The American Civil Liberties Union sued in federal court on behalf of Louis Lebron, a 35-year-old navy veteran, college student, and single father from Orlando who needs financial assistance to care for his four- year old son, arguing that the law breached the Fourth Amendment's protection against illegal search and seizures.

Federal Judge Mary Scriven agreed, temporarily blocking the law.

Judge Scriven stated, "The constitutional rights of a class of citizen are at stake." She continued, "In this litigation, the State provides scant evidence that rampant drug abuse exists among this class of individuals."

The media reported that Governor Scott will most likely appeal the decision and that he believes there is "no doubt the law is constitutional." Happily, LASIS doesn't share his optimism.

As the main part of its defense, Florida has cited 21 U.S.C. s. 862b: "States shall not be prohibited by the Federal Government from testing welfare recipients for use of controlled substances nor from sanctioning welfare recipients who test positive for use of controlled substances." Seems like a solid argument for Florida, but as always, the federal constitution trumps all statutes, and Judge Scriven has determined this law to be unconstitutional.

This is like déjà vu all over again. In 1997, the Supreme Court voted to strike down a Georgia law requiring candidates for state offices to pass a drug test in Chandler v. Miller. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote for the Court, in an 8-1 decision, that, without suspicion, mandated drug testing of candidates for state office constituted an unreasonable search and was therefore unconstitutional.

The subject was revisited in a 2003 U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling from Michigan, Marchwinski v. Howard, and this time dealt directly with drug testing for those who sought welfare benefits. The court said plainly that, "Michigan law authorizing suspicionless drug testing of welfare recipients was unconstitutional."

In fact, in Florida, only 32 of the over 7,000 residents who have taken the drug test have failed, nearly all for marijuana.,( 42% of Americans have tried weed at some point in their lives according to TIME Magazine.)

If the people supporting this law want to hang their hats on 32 "thieves" out of 7,000, they can. Just keep in mind the state had to reimburse 6,968 citizens who passed.

That's a pretty clear loss of funds in the end for the state. I'm no math major but my trusted calculator tells me that only .457% of welfare recipients in Florida have tested positive.

Unfortunately, this isn't about numbers and facts. This is about a deep-seeded stereotyping of the poor as lazy criminals.

But don't take my word for it, just ask a super-hero to many Republicans. "[Y]ou gotta look people in the eye and tell 'em they're irresponsible and lazy .... Because that's what poverty is, ladies and gentlemen. In this country, you can succeed if you get educated and work hard. Period. Period."

111025105119-drug-test-story-top-300x168.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: New York Law School
Author: Ryan Morrison
Copyright: ©1997-2010 New York Law School

i am a smoker and a tax payer, i think we should test all welfare recipients. a lot of them want to lay up and party out, on my nickel...i am not feeling that one bit...

lazy welfare recipients is "code" for blacks....let's be honest...

i grew up in baltimore...we had plenty of white trash sucking the welfare teat too, it isn't just a brother thing. what is kind of amazing though, is how borderline illiterate people can understand how the welfare system works in it's entirety...even the most abstract aspects of it to exploit it to the fullest...yet they are unemployable.lol

...not talking about just you....it is a fact that more whites are on welfare than blacks......yet the UNIVERSAL perception of "welfare abuse" is the lazy black, especially the woman with children...it's what Reagan meant, and EVERBODY "got it"....

i grew up in baltimore...we had plenty of white trash sucking the welfare teat too, it isn't just a brother thing. what is kind of amazing though, is how borderline illiterate people can understand how the welfare system works in it's entirety...even the most abstract aspects of it to exploit it to the fullest...yet they are unemployable.lol
ROFL....So very true!

Welfare was designed to help people who really need it to survive and has been totally exploited by people who just want to sit around and do deadly drugs...at our expense!

I think they need to drug test everyone on welfare for deadly drugs ONLY and see to it that people have access to Cannabis as medicine by keeping the THC panel out of the equation!

It has, not one thing to do with race! It's about morality and the fact that it's been taken to the extreme by people who CAN work for a living but would rather take total advantage of the system and the good will of the community...And, that ain't cool!!!

I know jobs are scarce...believe me! But it's the people who can work, but refuse to because of their addiction? That kills my soul!

I've seen first hand people on welfare who do nothing but have children, smoke weed all day, and drink alcohol. None of them care to even look for a job, so even though cannabis isn't a bad substance, if you're not working and are asking the tax payers to foot your bill, you should be spending your time looking for a job rather than smoking cannabis or doing other drugs. If you wan't the freedom to smoke again, get a job, it's not that hard. Id rather take part of the 30% of my paycheck that goes to taxes and buy myself some weed with it, rather than give it to someone who isn't trying to better their lives so they can buy weed with it.

I've seen first hand people on welfare who do nothing but have children, smoke weed all day, and drink alcohol. None of them care to even look for a job, so even though cannabis isn't a bad substance, if you're not working and are asking the tax payers to foot your bill, you should be spending your time looking for a job rather than smoking cannabis or doing other drugs. If you wan't the freedom to smoke again, get a job, it's not that hard. Id rather take part of the 30% of my paycheck that goes to taxes and buy myself some weed with it, rather than give it to someone who isn't trying to better their lives so they can buy weed with it.

Nice Point!!! Well said my friend...:bravo:

My Mom was on welfare but she was a alcoholic & prescription junkie so why not test them for ALL substances if your going to do it! Back in the 70's I was on welfare for 2 years and I don't smoke marijuana. Then I met a man who told me to "tell welfare to go to hell and marry me." I only had 1 child then and 2 more with him and he smoked to help him sleep every night. He even quit using for us for many years because I thought the kids were at risk, even though without it he couldn't sleep at night. He worked the same supervisor job, alway's supported us with no welfare or child support from MY son's DRUNKEN Dad. Now he's sick with Hep C from our armed forces shots and I gladly grow it for him and am ashamed that I had made him quit all those years ago. IF YOUR GOING TO TEST TEST FOR ALL SUBSTANCES and don't exclude anything! The kids all knew he smoked then and now and their all hard working taxpayers.

Back
Top Bottom