What about red hairs? Good, bad, indifferent?

Boatshoe

In an earlier post up in the stickies, “Origin of the Species”, the author describes the work of breeders in the last decades in his informative overview of the history of current strains. In a small comment, he says,

“Unfortunately, some early Dutch breeders made very poor selections from the initial seeds they were given. The most common bad selection was for copious red hairs instead of for large bracts. Red hairs are a sign that female flowers are present, but they are not in themselves psychoactive. A preponderance of red hairs indicates many, but tiny, flowers with little surface area for psychoactive resin glands to develop”

BTW Don’t take this as overall criticism of the breeders, the piece is very favorable.

But it made me think about red hairs on buds and whether I would choose that trait in my specimens. He also mentions, as mistakes, too dense buds and shiny but too thin resin glands.

I smoked a lot of mj before ever seeing red pistils, it was various green but some was kick ass - Jamaican Lambs Bread, Thai stick, and so on. Red hairs seem to have come around in the 90s and later. But I didn’t come to the west coast then.

I wonder if this matches others experiences — are red hairs just for bag appeal at the coffee shop or dispensary, are they even detrimental to overall quality; or do they add flavor, effect the high, otherwise add desirability. Maybe they’re a sign of well tended mj and indicate quality without adding anything directly. He might be talking about strains that aren’t around much anymore.

Any thoughts on red hairs?

In an earlier post up in the stickies, “Origin of the Species”, the author describes the work of breeders in the last decades in his informative overview of the history of current strains. In a small comment, he says,

“Unfortunately, some early Dutch breeders made very poor selections from the initial seeds they were given. The most common bad selection was for copious red hairs instead of for large bracts. Red hairs are a sign that female flowers are present, but they are not in themselves psychoactive. A preponderance of red hairs indicates many, but tiny, flowers with little surface area for psychoactive resin glands to develop”

BTW Don’t take this as overall criticism of the breeders, the piece is very favorable.

But it made me think about red hairs on buds and whether I would choose that trait in my specimens. He also mentions, as mistakes, too dense buds and shiny but too thin resin glands.

I smoked a lot of mj before ever seeing red pistils, it was various green but some was kick ass - Jamaican Lambs Bread, Thai stick, and so on. Red hairs seem to have come around in the 90s and later. But I didn’t come to the west coast then.

I wonder if this matches others experiences — are red hairs just for bag appeal at the coffee shop or dispensary, are they even detrimental to overall quality; or do they add flavor, effect the high, otherwise add desirability. Maybe they’re a sign of well tended mj and indicate quality without adding anything directly. He might be talking about strains that aren’t around much anymore.

Any thoughts on red hairs?

I'm praying none of my plants ( first grow ) turn out to be red hairs. Weed with lots of red hair usually pretty bad IMHO. I've always wondered why i don't like red hair weed, and you just answered my question for me.

Cool thread, Thanks.

Yes and no is the best answer LMAO. Yeah hairs don't do shit. Even a whole joint of them of don't do much. So hairs don't get you high. Some great strains have profuse hairs all over them. So lots of hairs is not a bad thing. It all matters what is under them. A lot matters what color they dry also. Lots of different colors of red and a few that even dry white. I have a Tahoe Og hybrid now that has 6 to 8 hairs coming out of one brack. I see Sensi Seeds still advertise orange hairs in their Orange Hill Special. Everyone wants orange for flavor not hairs. Stupid people LOL.
Bag appeal is a whole lot. Purple pot would never have made it around long enough to get good if bag appeal did not mean something.
While I may steer away from a bud covered in red hairs. The look of bright red or orange hairs on a lime green bud sure gets my attention

I grew some Fire OG, probably a cousin of your Tahoe OG. It was covered in red hairs. Unfortunately it got mold into it and was ruined. Now I would be wary of it.

Back
Top Bottom