What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

The plants seem to prefer florescent versus incandescent. I am using 1 incandescent to provide extra heat. The plants seem to grow every day... unreal. I installed 2 florescents under the plants on top of the pots and it seems to be stimulating the plants to bush out.

The bulb in it is a F15T8/P&A and it is an 18" light with cord attached. It was on display in the local Lowe's (ooops) that we shop at. It has a pink cover on it.
My next trip to lowe's I will get the details. It seemed to be a common off the shelf item.

I am using CFL's to grow.
My first plant has an Ott Light, 23 watt plant bulb and is doing well. I have a bit of an over wastering issue going on, but she's on the mend.
My other plants are under a 100 watt CFL's and one is doing exceptionally well,but I am leaning towards a good seed with good genetics. The other is just entering veg stage, so I will see how she reacts to the lamp.
Each plant is under their own bulbs with a reflector.
As they grow, I am going to add in some more bulbs to provide light to the lower/middle areas of the plants.
So far, so good.
The 100w bulbs are "daylight" spectrum, but I have heard that one can use the soft light 60w with good results.
But light is only part of the formula with Ph's, nutrients, being as vital as well.

I am very enthusiastic and happy with my growth.

:nicethread:

First time growers frequently:

Overspend on grow supplies. New growers frequently commit themselves to unrealistic and expensive first grows. It is much more efficient to learn to grow and then invest in high end equipment rather than the other way around. Most experienced growers don't have room for all of the grow paraphernalia they aren't using. As you will see throughout this FAQ: K-I-S-S.

Authors: Bush_Grower and Bongaloid

I don't think this is entirely true if a new grower was to a lot of research upfront and use soil and keep it simple he/she could still buy expensive equipment buying expensive stuff like a climate controller and electronic ph meters etc.. would only make the growers life easier. I'm on my first grow and ive spent over £2000 ($4000) so far and my grow is coming on nicely.

sorry but you should water your plants every day if you want a decent yield in soil, a cannabis plants natural habitat is by riverbanks where there is an abundance of water.

^^ Watering frequency depends on how well your soil drains. Just poke your finger into the soil down a couple inches and feel if its still wet.

I'd go inside if you can for better security. Any fluroescent light will work to start off with. Make sure you get a 4" inline duct fan to keep temperature in check.

Speaking of soil-drainage, I have noticed a trend among some (uneducated) soil growers where they'd spend $$$ on fancy soils and then forget to add a bunch of perlite to it and end up with soil that was WAY too heavy.

Speaking of soil-drainage, I have noticed a trend among some (uneducated) soil growers where they'd spend $$$ on fancy soils and then forget to add a bunch of perlite to it and end up with soil that was WAY too heavy.

I never thought of that, I didn't add any to my soil! Should I re-pot em since I am taking them out for watering tomorrow? Please take a look at my thread and give a noob a hand please. Much appreciated.

if you think they are gonna need repotting before they'll finish then yes remix the soil with some perlite and a little sand. It makes it easier to get a giant root system and that makes for healthy plants.

multi-purpose compost is fine for growing you dont need perlite or any fancy additives, and if your plant is in the right environment it WILL need watered every day, in a 1gallon pot with a good root system it will take up all the water it can hold on a daily basis providing nutrient levels and room temp and humidity are at the right levels there wont be much need for soil drainage as the plant will use it all. Water until the pot just starts to leak!

Any new grower should be reading this valuble info.
An awsome read mate !!!

ok. I have three 2,5- 3 gallons pots. Under 150W HPS. Good ventilation. Hight: 35-40 sm.
Smal Box: 4,5 ft/2.( 80/50 sm). I have to water every 7 days....!!!??? but the soil , even in depth 2 inches, is dry on the third day... How come ? They will die. I water them once every third day 200 ml.
Any advise? PLS

You are starving your plants of nutrients and water, like i said you need to water them every day just enough to leak a little, plants rely on water to carry the nutrients in the soil to the plant, depending on what type of nutrient solution you use your plants should be fed regularly i use bio bizz products as they are organic and designed to be used daily in water to feed the plants, also i'd consider getting a 400w setup at least i use 2 600w for mine.

You are starving your plants of nutrients and water, like i said you need to water them every day just enough to leak a little, plants rely on water to carry the nutrients in the soil to the plant, depending on what type of nutrient solution you use your plants should be fed regularly i use bio bizz products as they are organic and designed to be used daily in water to feed the plants, also i'd consider getting a 400w setup at least i use 2 600w for mine.

You can't make a general statement like that dude - you will have him killing his plants. Unless you have a big room set up that has like 3000 watts of light per square foot, temp 75 - 78 degrees F, 50 - 55% humidity, CO2 running, you DO NOT have to water every day. Plants do best if they are allowed to cycle thru - completely wet to completely dry, then soaked again and allowed to dry out. It is essential to grow a good root base, which will make for happy plants which makes more happy bud. I will say that I will only grow in soil, have not nor will not ever touch hydro (I guess that it's the old hippie in me) but I know that letting the plants dry out before you water again is what makes the plant happy.
You need to learn to read your plantsd, if you are in tune with them, they will tell you exactly what they need. Feel your pot after waqtering, fill the pot when it is dry. With that you will know when the plants really need water, and if you will just shut up and listen, they will tell you whaqt they need.

i hope that thisww helps you a little can't remeber what size pot you got them in, but my rule is a gallon for every foot in height. So if you give the roots space to expand, let them get wet then dry, give them plenty of light and food and in a few months you will be the envy of your buddies for your BUDS!!

well if that works for you...., all i know is that i water and feed my plants everyday give them good venting circulation and temp and they reward me with big sweet crystally buds everytime so heavy that the branches need supported, do some research on these plants in their natural habitat and you'll see they do best on riverbanks where they have an abundance of water all the time!

Back
Top Bottom