what do i do about fungus gnats

sleeze406

i have fungus gnats and my plants are a month into flower what should i do I'm drying my soil out real good but the problem is is it doesn't have enough drainage and if you no how hard they are on the roots let me no

Is there any way to improve your drainage?

If not, slow up on your watering.

Too wet=fungus gnats.

DD

I dont think i can do anything about the drainage that i no of its so late into flower i dont want to risk transplanting them do you know how bad the larva effects the roots

Fungus Gnats....

These little buggers are tough to beat...

If your growing in a bucket without a way for the water to drain you are fighting a losing battle. Re-Pot the plant with a pot that has a reservoir on the bottom.

Sterilize your soil...

1. Look for small insects on the surface of the soil. They will be active when you water or move the plant. The larvae are 1/4 inch white-bodied maggots with black heads and can be found just under the surface of the soil.

2. Keep plants clean of fallen leaves and debris. Fungus gnats feed on dead plant material.

3. Use yellow sticky traps placed near the infested plant to catch adult fungus gnats.

4. Water with a solution of Bacillus thuringiensis, an organic control for caterpillars, to kill insect larvae. Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt) is a bacteria and is safe to use around children and pets.

5. Drench the soil with a solution of pyrethrin, an organic pesticide made from chrysanthemums.
I will spray after I water...

It's real important in the war with Fungus Gnats that you get good drainage... Change pots or drill more holes in the pot but you will never get rid of them if the dirt on the top is always wet.

ya thanks for all the good advice im going to water less even if it means my girls are a little thirsty im a little scetch on useing anything like a pesticide or any oils because there so far in to bud i dont want them to get the taste of somthing i water them with i no next time to mix way more stuff in the soil to promote better drainage

Fungus knats the bain of the coco grower. Constant battle for me. I have learned to control them. cleanlyness. sticky strips. Bombing the room between grows. Controlled you still get a good crop. :peace:

ya my plant pot has drain holes the soil just dosent drain well

Perlite is your friend. I use ~40% in my very water retentive mix.

Not much help for this grow, I know, but .... next time.

DD

ya im going to make sure to use alot more perlite next go around i have them knocked back a bit i put some cubes of raw potatoes on top of the soil and alot of the larva's go after it instead of the roots it dosent catch all of them but some i replace the patatoes every couple days i hope it will work good enough for the next month im still sceptical to put anything into my soil i dont want to effect the flavor

BTW, where do these gnats come from - are they in the cocoa already. If that is true a spin in the microwave before mixing in the coco should take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom