What Else Do I Need?

Pulp Fiction

Firstly, a quick hello to everyone; new to the site have been perusing the threads. Pretty laid back and informative, that being said, I am completely new to growing period. I'm waiting on a 2'x2.5'x6'11" Gorilla Grow Tent. 400wattHPS light w/ ballast and fan. Super ponic 8 hydroponic system. Starter Nutrients. Rockwool medium, netting cups. Light and hydroponic have timers. I think my real lack is ventilation. Was thinking some small desk fans for intake and exhaust plus fan(s) for directing on plants. Going to Jerry rig air filter, I bought feminine girl scout cookies s1 seeds, was thinking 12"-18" before flowering. I want to keep flower height small so I can split the tent into a 2 chamber veg/flower set up, as stated above the tent is 6'11 in height. Was thinking of using the 400wattHPS bulb for flowering, can that flower 1 plant? Or if more how many? Keep in mind I picture the finished height at approx 3ft. but to Vegetate what wattage metal halide light set up would I need to Veg, 2 to 3 clones? Good cheap ways alternatives for PH Ppm temp and humidity readings?

A good book...Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes.

A 400w can actually do both veg & bloom if you have the right bulb...I have used a Philips 430w Son Agro HPS bulb with great results with older system in veg/bloom. Or you could just get a HPS bulb and a MH conversion bulb and change them accordingly.

Yes, the 400w HPS can flower more than one plant, I have flowered four plants under a 400w HPS in a 4'x4' space and had great results, I see your tent is 5 sq/ft so you're limited with space for adding more plants, one plant can take up that space really quick. The rule is 50w per sq/ft, so your tent is 2' x 2.5' or 5 sq/ft = 250w would work, 400w will be awesome. Also, with a 400w bulb in your tent it will cause a lot of heat if not cool tubed or properly vented.

Keeping them at 3ft will take some work, so keep that in mind while trying to divide you tent in half for veg/flower... SCROG (screen of green) good for small spaces... or LST (low strees training) is where you train your plant to grow the way you want, not the way they want, otherwise they take over. Also, defoliation is another way to stop the "stretch".

This video will help you understand your space & SCROG

You can get by with a 250 MH bulb just fine for vegging in your space, just remember the heat that will be generated. For pH go get a pH meter, they are $15-$20 on amazon or ebay, also get some pH reference solution, I use GH (General Hydroponics) it is green & is 7.0pH so you can keep your pH meter calibrated. TDS/EC/PPM you can get a ppm meter off of amazon, ebay etc..for $15-$20 as well, get calibration reference solution for your ppm meter as well, again I use GH 1500ppm reference solution. Temp & RH, you can get a thermometer/hygrometer combo at amazon/ebay etc for $15-$20.

A good book...Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes.

A 400w can actually do both veg & bloom if you have the right bulb...I have used a Philips 430w Son Agro HPS bulb with great results with older system in veg/bloom. Or you could just get a HPS bulb and a MH conversion bulb and change them accordingly.

Yes, the 400w HPS can flower more than one plant, I have flowered four plants under a 400w HPS in a 4'x4' space and had great results, I see your tent is 5 sq/ft so you're limited with space for adding more plants, one plant can take up that space really quick. The rule is 50w per sq/ft, so your tent is 2' x 2.5' or 5 sq/ft = 250w would work, 400w will be awesome. Also, with a 400w bulb in your tent it will cause a lot of heat if not cool tubed or properly vented.

Keeping them at 3ft will take some work, so keep that in mind while trying to divide you tent in half for veg/flower... SCROG (screen of green) good for small spaces... or LST (low strees training) is where you train your plant to grow the way you want, not the way they want, otherwise they take over. Also, defoliation is another way to stop the "stretch".

This video will help you understand your space & SCROG

You can get by with a 250 MH bulb just fine for vegging in your space, just remember the heat that will be generated. For pH go get a pH meter, they are $15-$20 on amazon or ebay, also get some pH reference solution, I use GH (General Hydroponics) it is green & is 7.0pH so you can keep your pH meter calibrated. TDS/EC/PPM you can get a ppm meter off of amazon, ebay etc..for $15-$20 as well, get calibration reference solution for your ppm meter as well, again I use GH 1500ppm reference solution. Temp & RH, you can get a thermometer/hygrometer combo at amazon/ebay etc for $15-$20.

Hey Buddro,
Thanks for the great info. That video is pretty awesome as well. From what I gather, scroging is basically spreading out the plant to fill a large surface area with multiple bud points giving the small space the most efficiency in regards to yield?

A 400 watt H.I.D needs a quality inline extraction fan. Somewhere around here is a good formula on area x wattage x average ambient temps
= cfm needed

Hey Buddro,
Thanks for the great info. That video is pretty awesome as well. From what I gather, scroging is basically spreading out the plant to fill a large surface area with multiple bud points giving the small space the most efficiency in regards to yield?

It does that, and also helps to keep them low. I haven't SCROG'ed in years since I have more space now, but there are a lot of great SCROG setups on here just do a little research....look up Capn, he has a lot of good info on scrogging. The only hassle with SCROG is changing water in reservoir, but with a drain tube or extra reservoir with submersible water pump it can be easier

Just to get you started with SCROG info... scrog - Search Results - 420 Magazine ®

Like i said up top, I perused some threads before I posted, wanted to get a general feel for the forum, I saw enough to know that Cap is the man; very informative posts.

Side note, I got my rock wool and realized that I didn't buy nearly enough. I'm also a little annoyed that I didn't see this forum before I bought grow equipment, oh well. I look at some of the guys innovations on here and I'm completely blown away. Also, mostly I've noticed everyone is really chill, not a big surprise I suppose.

Like i said up top, I perused some threads before I posted, wanted to get a general feel for the forum, I saw enough to know that Cap is the man; very informative posts.

Side note, I got my rock wool and realized that I didn't buy nearly enough. I'm also a little annoyed that I didn't see this forum before I bought grow equipment, oh well. I look at some of the guys innovations on here and I'm completely blown away. Also, mostly I've noticed everyone is really chill, not a big surprise I suppose.

:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom