What is a good amount of direct sunlight?

Phillybonker

I'm just wondering how many hours of direct sunlight is needed to ensure my plants stay healthy?, like what would be the optimal amount of hours?

I'm just wondering how many hours of direct sunlight is needed to ensure my plants stay healthy?, like what would be the optimal amount of hours?
Hey @Phillybonker hope you are well.
Short answer as many as possible.
If its less than 12 they will start to flower.
Optimumly you would like to get more than 12 hrs.
But they can survive quite well on much less.
What is the situation?
How many are they getting?
Bill

Well this will all depend upon what stage your plants are in.

For germing a seed, you want full darkness.

For a Seedling you can either do a 24/0 light schedule which means 100% light all day and night, or a 18/6 light schedule.

For veg, 18/6 is typically best, but you can run 12/12 at this time, to flower as soon as possible.

For flower, 12/12, you shouldn't really go lower than this, as you will most likely effect growth/yield.

Well this will all depend upon what stage your plants are in.

For germing a seed, you want full darkness.

For a Seedling you can either do a 24/0 light schedule which means 100% light all day and night, or a 18/6 light schedule.

For veg, 18/6 is typically best, but you can run 12/12 at this time, to flower as soon as possible.

For flower, 12/12, you shouldn't really go lower than this, as you will most likely effect growth/yield.
He is outside i believe. :Namaste:
Bill

Outside, I have successfully grown with as little as three hours in direct sun. The more the better in my opinion. Partial sun/shade is very beneficial to the plant.
Outside, daylight hours determine when plant will start flowering. Not the number of hours in the direct sun.
Good luck with your grow..

Hey @Phillybonker hope you are well.
Short answer as many as possible.
If its less than 12 they will start to flower.
Optimumly you would like to get more than 12 hrs.
But they can survive quite well on much less.
What is the situation?
How many are they getting?
Bill
I'm growing outdoors. The plants flower as the night hours increase and daylight hours decrease. My last grow I only had 6 hours of direct sunlight but I'm looking for new spots with more direct sunlight.. My new spots get 8 hours direct sunlight but I was wondering if I should make the effort to find even better spots with more direct sunlight or are my 8 hour spots good enough.

Outside, I have successfully grown with as little as three hours in direct sun. The more the better in my opinion. Partial sun/shade is very beneficial to the plant.
Outside, daylight hours determine when plant will start flowering. Not the number of hours in the direct sun.
Good luck with your grow..
I also had some plants in 4 hours direct sunlight but I ended up with underdeveloped airy buds.

Yep I'm aware when night hours increase and daylight hours decrease it triggers flowering.

Thanks

I'm growing outdoors. The plants flower as the night hours increase and daylight hours decrease. My last grow I only had 6 hours of direct sunlight but I'm looking for new spots with more direct sunlight.. My new spots get 8 hours direct sunlight but I was wondering if I should make the effort to find even better spots with more direct sunlight or are my 8 hour spots good enough.
You should do very well with 8 hours of direct sun.

My 2 cents, I grow outside, what I have found best is direct sun in the morning, shade in the after noon, (Noon to 1-2:00) and direct sun in the evening. This will change over the season of course. Give them shade during the heat of the day if can. Sun all day is fine, just remember, they can get too much heat and burn... Like an indoor grow with the lights to close to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom