What's wrong with my plant?

420-magazine-mobile1115685537.jpg

I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the two pics however if it is a mag deficiency how do I got about correcting it and if so when I get this new soil should I still be concerned about the mag?

Scientific, I was always under the impression that PH was buffered in soil and that a more reliable go to for us soil guys was PPM?

Speaking purely theoretically because I have no experience with measuring soil runoff, I would think that ideally you would want to measure both PPM and pH.

As for "buffering in the soil" (again, speaking just theoretically), if you pour pH 6.5 water into soil with high lime content, for example, you would expect the water to run off at a higher pH than it went in because the lime would neutralize the acidity. But isn't that the whole point? You want to know what the pH is at the roots. You can easily measure that directly with hydroponics (points for hydro), but for soil, since you can't measure the pH at the roots directly, you have to sample the runoff as a proxy. It's not ideal, but it's the best you've got. If you just get a small sample and don't flood the pot so much as to dilute the runoff sample to much with fresh material, I would think that that would work OK.

(If I remember correctly, when analyzing soil with a soil test kit, you place a sample of the soil in water and then test that.)

I don't think I have read anything about measuring PPMs in soil runoff. That value would be interesting to know, I guess, especially if you did it consistently at every watering. Based on my hydro experience and seeing a mature plant just gobble up nutes, I would think that as the plant matures that the PPMs of the runoff would decrease, and if you were monitoring what those levels were watering to watering and you saw the value drop, that would tell you that you maybe need to fertilize more or use more concentrated fertilizer? Maybe (hopefully) someone with some actual experience will jump in here since I am getting ready for my summer soil grow out on the deck. :)

I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the two pics however if it is a mag deficiency how do I got about correcting it and if so when I get this new soil should I still be concerned about the mag?

If you Google "Jorge Cervantes nutrition chart," you can get Jorge's PDF that I think is a much more useful chart.

But may I suggest that you maybe wait to make any adjustments until your plant recovers from overwatering? I would suggest that you look at the new growth that should appear very quickly when conditions improve and then make your decisions based on that. (In my experience, the damaged leaves will never completely "get better," so you need to monitor new growth.)

If you Google "Jorge Cervantes nutrition chart," you can get Jorge's PDF that I think is a much more useful chart.

But may I suggest that you maybe wait to make any adjustments until your plant recovers from overwatering? I would suggest that you look at the new growth that should appear very quickly when conditions improve and then make your decisions based on that. (In my experience, the damaged leaves will never completely "get better," so you need to monitor new growth.)

Ok because right before I watered them too much . the leafs were super good nice and green and perky .
420-magazine-mobile846945780.jpg
something like this

Ok because right before I watered them too much . the leafs were super good nice and green and perky

Yeah, that looks good. I would expect the new foliage will go right back to that as soon as its feet get dry.

Judging by the fertilizer ball in the foreground, your potting soil is already fertilized ala MiracleGro and Vigoro ("Continuously feeds for up to 9 months")

Excellent point!

So I'm trying to get the ph right first starting with the water. I found this water to have a ph of 6.2-6.7
420-magazine-mobile1159242945.jpg
I'm going to mix this with some fox farm soil I have coming in the mail. Any opinions do or don't's ?

Doing your grow with bottled water could get pretty expensive....no? What's wrong with your tap water? I usually leave mine in a 5 gallon pail for 3-4 days before using it.....to allow everything possible to evaporate.

Back
Top Bottom