When using a Resevoir for holding Nutes, do the animals inside eat the nutes?

Darkshade1980

ok sorry for the thread title.... anyhow... ive been saving a 3 gallon resivoir .... now its to mix/ hold nutrients until i need to fill up my sprayer.. it hads a handy little pressure spout at the bottom..it used to be utilized for holding mixed drinks in and for parties... now its my nutrients holding tank... so my question ever since i took off the black 3.5 mil plastic trashbag that i wrapped around it to keep light from coming inside, ive noticed all the growth of algae and well micro creatures growing in it.. cuz ive been mixing that Rhizzomorph stuff ( i know i spelled it wrong) anyhow the bag you buy of the powder with the active little animals in it that halp the roots ( beneficial bacteria) ...and im sure after mixing the nites in the clear water hours later it looks as if all the nutes are gone.. could the animals and creatures and algae inside be eating all the nutes that fast? lol..... or i musta just not realized i put new water in between of watering.

sorry for tha confusion ya'all

so i guess putting the black trashbag back on would be a definite YES do it NOW..... but i just want second and third or more opinions....... please help if anyone can....

Re: when using a REsivoir for holding Nutes, do the animals inside eat the nutes?

If your nutes soup is having that much algae in that short timeframe, I would think it means your resovoir is too hot. Try to keep it under 70 degrees. This will help you avoid all kinds of problems. I don't know if algae actually eats the nutes but I know it certainly doesn't hurt them. Just my thought...

CGs

Re: when using a REsivoir for holding Nutes, do the animals inside eat the nutes?

thanx, much appreciated... i would think it to be impossible for the little algae molecules or animals/bacteria to eat the nutes in the water causing it to become completely clear in a day or over night.... lol. anyhow i think ill jus go back to puttin a black plastic trash bag around it... the water is at 77 or 73 degrees its just that i can feel heat coming off of the top of the water when i hold my hand above it just a few CM's above... and i know i know, its the bacteria and creatures (living things) inside the soup making friction, causing heat up in the water... and all that good biological/physics stuff going on. so ill try to get it down to a cooler temp. i was thinking or recall reading about how the fish water in your fish tank is great to use in your soil/medium for feeding plants. well its pretty much a little 3 Gal fushtank but without the fish. so im just gonna use it and even the algae gets broken up well in the tiny water pump (which recirculates it and the air stone next to each other at the bottom..it causes it to have a high output of mixing and returning..or in regular terms it mixes well..i can see once pouring in a 30ML of nutes the black coloring gets diluted and mixed in well instantly..i can actually see it get sucked down through the little water pump then shot back up while the air stone aerates it. im just glad im finally being able to utilize that big piece of crap... that ive had sittin in my bedroom for 6 years.... finally able to put it to use i knew what id use it for and its working great. thanks again.

Algae will eat plant nutrients. You need to block the light and keep the water cool. Freeze some 2 liter bottles full of water and toss them in the res when the water gets above 70 degrees.

THANK you very much, i KNEW that was the case, just had to make sure...lol i didnt realize HOW fast it is eaten..then again i guess thats why the water i nfish tanks with lots of algae on the sides is so clear? lol.... anyhow thanx a bunch again dude. much much appreciated. i knew after droppin the nutes in and then hours hours later the water being clear?...wierd... lol... but i had a feeling all that brown and green algae on the rim and sides is EATING it... ive owned fish b4 and fishtanks.

either way i knew once taking that black trash bag off the container that algae would start... just didnt know how fast when using the Mhizoch stuff (little animals) lol.... so thank you thank you. ill take care of the situation right now well at 11 am when it all comes on (lights)

Back
Top Bottom