Where is it legal

behappy

i was just wondering what states and countries have legalized marijuana cause im thinking of taking a trip somewhere. i already know about amsterdam but any other countries.

Im too lazy to look it up it was easier asking
:peace: :joint: :peace:

Technically, it is illegal but tolerated (and regulated) in Amsterdam.
But it is de facto legal.
I don't think there is a place where it is de jure legal.

I don't think it is leagal anywhere, wish it was. Deffinately should be leagal every where.

last I heard was that Switzerland has legalized it, or is in the process of it, I can't remember exactly sorry..

It is not legal anywhere, just dicriminalized.

Well, I believe it's more decriminalized from a "Federal" point of view for 215-ers.. and more legal from a "State" of California point of view for we 215-ers.

As close as you're gonna get at this point in time in today's Western World. :cheesygrinsmiley:

In my humble opinion.. :peace: and vape on! :smokin:

FuzzyBud said:
ampsterdam?
Not legal, only decriminalized. You can only have 5 grams on you legaly. Can only grow a certain amount of plants(I think it's 13, but im not sure).

OH MAN WOULD I LIKE TO BE THE FIRST TO WELCOME GEORGE BUSH SR TO THE SIGHT!!! LOL I love the name bro.

iloveramey said:
I think its legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Holland but Im not %100 sure

I thought Holland and the Netherlands were the same thing:hmmmm: Whatever. And if I'm not mistaken, there should be some provinces of Canada that have legalized it.

Courtesy of erowid.org

U.S. STATE LAW #

* State by State list of Marijuana Laws
* Index of Medical Marijuana Laws in all 50 States and Canada
* Marijuana Law, by Richard Glen Boire

Alaska #
Alaska Supreme Court and lower courts have ruled that personal possession of cannabis is protected by state constitution's privacy clause. As recently as Sep 14, 2004, the AK Supreme Court refused to overturn a unanimous Appellate Court decision that police were not allowed to enter a home simply based on smelling cannabis smoke outside. See Pot vs Privacy, Oct 2003 and Alaska Supreme Court chooses privacy over pot, Sep 2004 and Eric Sterling's Response
California #
California Supreme Court has upheld the California Medical Marijuana law (state prop 215). July 19, 2002

"The possession and cultivation of marijuana is no more criminal -- so long as (the law's) conditions are satisfied -- than the possession and acquisition of any prescription drug with a physician's prescription." CA Chief Justice Ronald George.

Colorado #
City of Denver votes to legalize possession of up to an ounce of cannabis. Although police will still enforce Colorado state law, the city population has clearly expressed that they are disatisfied with the state laws. See Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession - Nov 2, 2005, AP and Mile High City Legalizes Pot Possession - Nov 2, 2005, AOL News.
North Carolina #
Dronabinol is Schedule II in N. Carolina. [reference]
Rhode Island #
Rhode Island legalized the medical use of cannabis in Jan 2006, overriding a veto of the legislation by Governor Don Carcieri (house vote 59-13). The law allows people with certain illnesses such as cancer to register with the state, receive a special ID card, and then grow up to 12 plants or buy/possess up to 2.5 ounces of dried cannabis. AP story by ML Johnson, Jan 3, 2006.
INTERNATIONAL LAW #
Australia #
Cannabis laws state by state. Decriminalized in Western Australia & South Australia. Tasmania, Victoria, & Queensland policies involve ticketing for below 50 grams.

* Nov 2001: Western Australia Announces Decriminalization of Cannabis
* South Australia Cannabis Law Confusion (Out of Date South Australia Cannabis Laws)

Belgium #
Possession of up to 3g of cannabis by adults, for personal use, is tolerated in Belgium. Police will take the name of an individual in possession, but the Belgian state will not prosecute. We've been told that a new law to allow for medical use of cannabis has lead the police to be more forgiving about possession of small amounts of non-medicinal cannabis. [No References. Feb 2005.]
England #
Cannabis is a Class C drug in Britain.

* Jan 2006 - Home Secretary Announces Cannabis will stay in Class C, despite controversy in 2005, but that the Home Office will seek an "overhaul" of the drug classification system. Guardian and Home Office News.
* Jan 29, 2004 - Cannabis reclassified to Class C. Q&A: Reclassifying Cannabis, UK Guardian
* Sep 2003 - Police given broad discretion in choosing who to arrest for cannabis possession
* Jul 10, 2002 - Britain Announces Moving Cannabis to Class C (and BBC: Cannabis Laws eased by Blunkett). Most possessions would be given only a warning, but the plan could take a year to change the rules across Britain.
* Nov 2001 - Britain Moves to Reclassify Cannabis as Class C [Nov 2001] (cache)
* Nov 2001 - Police say: sell cannabis in shops and pubs
* Nov 2001 - The British government's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs issued a report calling for the legalization of cannabis and its sale through a network of licensed cafes. - Report

Canada #
Cannabis is schedule II in Canada (for more than 3 kg). Canada's cannabis control laws are spottily enforced, with the west coast (British Columbia) being well known for its high quality cannabis and low levels of enforcement. In 2002, Canada's federal government made several findings in favor of cannabis legalization and medical use approval. Although the status of medical cannabis is still in flux (sep 2002), the Canadian government has several times voiced its intention to support full medical use. Non-viable Cannabis seeds and Cannabis stalks (that do not include leaves, flowers, seeds or branches) are exempted.

* Senate Panel Recommends Legalization (bbc) - CBC News
"In many ways prohibition is a cop-out," said Senator Pierre Claude Nolin, chair of the committee. He said drug policy should focus on harm reduction, prevention and treatment.
* Sep 2002 - Senate Panel Recommends Legalization
Canada moves towards allowing medical cannabis (CBC News)
Medical Marijuana Approved (CFDP)

In July 2000, an Ontario Court of Appeal ruled against the Canadian law because it did not address medical necessity and on July 31, 2001 a new regulation was enacted by the cabinet which addressed medical use. In January 2003, a lower Ontario court ruled simple possession laws banning cannabis unconstitutional, although it is unclear what the long term implications of this might be.

* Globe and Mail, Jan 4, 2003
* DRCNet Coverage, March 2003
* CBC News, Jan 3 2003

Japan #
Cannabis is prohibited under the Japanese Cannabis Control Act. [see also The law on hemp] (Thanks embroglio). However, viable cannabis seeds are available in headshop as of June 2005, selling for Y1300-Y2500 (12-23 USD) each. Growing the seeds is illegal and the shops have warnings that the seeds are just curiosity samples and the shop will not answer questions about cultivation. (Unconfirmed) (Thanks s4m)
Mexico #
Cannabis is illegal in all forms in Mexico and possession can result in stiff fines and long jail sentences. Police can often be bribed on the spot and it is said that police plant cannabis on innocent bystanders near the U.S. border in order to solicit bribes from tourists. (Unconfirmed, thanks MW)
Netherlands #
Although cannabis is technically illegal to possess and sell in the Netherlands, the government does not prosecute individuals (over 18) who smoke cannabis. Possession of less than 5 grams or growing of less than 5 plants will not be prosecuted. Certain cafes/coffeeshops are allowed to sell cannabis and hold 100 grams behind the counter and another 500 grams in the back. In March of 2003, the Dutch government changed the law to allow doctors to prescribe cannabis for medical purposes through pharmacies. BBC Sep 2003.
Norway #
Cannabis is illegal in all forms in Norway including possession and sale of seeds. (Thanks SJ)
Poland #
Possession of cannabis is illegal in Poland. Even small amounts (1g) are not tolerated and penalties can be high. Since Jun 2005 according to the new law, a new resocialization program for drug addicts has been formed as a alternative to putting young people in prison. Cannabis is still a public enemy treated the same way as 'hard drugs'. (Thanks RaN)
Portugal #
Cannabis is banned in Portugal in all its forms, however since 2000 consuming and buying small quantities of cannabis (as with all other illegal drugs) is not a crime, it is only punishable by a small fine. Further, in major cities, the police have a rather tolerant atittude towards cannabis consumption and it is largely ignored. Note that anyone found possessing quantities of cannabis more than considered typical for an average user in 10-days can be presumed to be a distributor and can be prosecuted and jailed. (Thanks J)
South America #
South American Cannabis Laws
If you have information about the legal status of this substance in any other country, please let us know.

iloveramey said:
I think its legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Holland but Im not %100 sure
The Netherlands and Holland are the same country... And for future referance, the people are called "Dutch," they speak "Dutch."
And it's not legal anywhere, only decriminalized or de facto legal (which basically means they don't care, Dutch policy for instance).

stunt4u said:
last I heard was that Switzerland has legalized it, or is in the process of it, I can't remember exactly sorry..

I lived in switzerland for 4 yrs and when I did I could take a trip to bern the capital and walk into a store packed with weed everywhere and buy weed thats used for aroma therapy, unfortunately in the last couple of years they have completely stopped this.

canada is always an option. although its not completely legal you can still get it very easily and cheapily and I walked right past a cop tokin on a joint and he said nothing so it must be quasi-legal or at least tolerated

isos 42o said:
I lived in switzerland for 4 yrs and when I did I could take a trip to bern the capital and walk into a store packed with weed everywhere and buy weed thats used for aroma therapy, unfortunately in the last couple of years they have completely stopped this.

canada is always an option. although its not completely legal you can still get it very easily and cheapily and I walked right past a cop tokin on a joint and he said nothing so it must be quasi-legal or at least tolerated

yeah it is very tolerated in canada, if you are caught with like under an OZ, they might take it away but no charge or nothing.Personally ive never been caught by cops for having weed, but one of my good frineds were caught with 4 oz. and he got charge 300 bucks.

But all of that will soon change i think, since we have a conservative government in power, fuck you harper!!

Wat about Denver its kind of legal there right?????

~~Steveh harper is going to fuck all canadians tokers...the fucking guy wants to be like george bush...did u watch the east coast music awards on CBC...the trailer park boys hosted it and harper was sittiging in the front and ricki was like..."hey i know we both have totally different jobs but they are similiar like you and me got to keep people happy and if we arent there for them..they find someone else"..i thought it was awesome ...b/c they were showing ricki doing blades at the start of the award show..... hahah got to love trailer park boys.

isos 42o said:

ha buddy i wouldnt go that far, u can smoke it around other people adn most of them will turn teh other cheek but cops still fine you if they catch u on the right property, i remember i had like 2 oz and some other drugs in pill form and we just pulled into my friends driveway and we got out an they stopped us cuz it was liek 2am, basically we had a chat with the coppers and then my buddies dad comes out of the house next dorr and lights up a reefer
hes smokin by himself over there and the cops asked a couple more q's then took off. not legalized but the rules can be bent over almost backwards

Back
Top Bottom