Which Lights would be better?

mmaman

Ok i'm in week 4 or 5 I have 6 100 watt cfls, 2 150 watt cfls, and 2 plant light 24" flos. i dont think my buds are where there supposed to be anyways i'm thinking of adding more light. would it be better to add a 150 watt hps or 6 more 100 watt cfls? i saw the 150 hps and fixture at lowes for 35 bucks. this is only for 1 plant in a 2*2 closet. thanks guys

well i was wrong on the setup at lowes it was a 70 hps for 40 bucks i didnt think it was that good

it was a 70 hps for 40 bucks i didnt think it was that good
To add only a 70 w HPS for that amount may not be in the better interest for you. And for one plant, is the expense worth the return? HPS is better to flower under, I do not use lights indoors to flower with though. Bee23 has some info on a 150HPS but, again, in a 2x2 area, maybe some more cfls as you stated, also the heat of a 150HPS is probably to much as it is self ballasted so the heat in your closet is greater.

if the closet is tall you might want HPS but if short warm 2500-3500 K CFLs will probably work better these have a reddish spectrum like HPS

thats the cfls i got what else you you guys think about the setup light wise

A successful grow can be done using just CFL's. I completed a CFL grow that was respectable, but what I found was I was using as much total wattage as 1 HPS light putting out twice the amount of light.

The problem is that it takes quite a few CFL's to put out an adequate amount of lumens for the plants. By the time you have enough CFL's you might as well use a 400 watt HPS thats put out twice the lumens of the CFL's.

With the combination of CFL's used I was consuming approx 400 watts at 27,000 lumens, with my HPS light at 430 watts I get approx 53,000 lumens.

The heat difference is a little less with the CFL's, but may not be worth the light difference. The increase in light using the HPS results in a better grow.

Back
Top Bottom