Wifi IP camera: recycled Nexus tablet

Spacebouquet

420 Member
Good evening!

I know I started a grow journal about a month ago. Honestly I barely have the time at the moment with my kids and life etc. I do plan to update it soon, But here's what I managed to throw together with a spare negative 5 minutes.

So ive not really done much.. except I had an old 7inch tablet with a cracked but working touch screen. Oh and with fully functioning camera/wifi.

For anyone unaware my grow is in a low bin shed. Coming out in the morning to have a look over has started to become a chore.. particularly when there's nothing to do.

So I downloaded a free app, which turns the tablet into a wifi accessible camera over my wifi network. I searched ip camera and pretty much went with the first one, on my phone I had to download the "viewer" version of the app but it will work with other streaming apps.

Here's my view of the stump from literally anywhere my phone gets a signal..
Camera 1_2021-12-01_180458.jpg

Great idea for those who are away from their grow or, as you mentioned, on a busy schedule keeping you from the grow room.
Thanks for sharing @Spacebouquet

W
Good evening!

I know I started a grow journal about a month ago. Honestly I barely have the time at the moment with my kids and life etc. I do plan to update it soon, But here's what I managed to throw together with a spare negative 5 minutes.

So ive not really done much.. except I had an old 7inch tablet with a cracked but working touch screen. Oh and with fully functioning camera/wifi.

For anyone unaware my grow is in a low bin shed. Coming out in the morning to have a look over has started to become a chore.. particularly when there's nothing to do.

So I downloaded a free app, which turns the tablet into a wifi accessible camera over my wifi network. I searched ip camera and pretty much went with the first one, on my phone I had to download the "viewer" version of the app but it will work with other streaming apps.

W
Good evening!

This is awesome. What app are you using? I’ve been wanting to do this for my grows in my shed also.

Good evening!

Excellent. I’ve been wondering if this is possible. What app are you using?

Excellent. I’ve been wondering if this is possible. What app are you using?
I'm using ip webcam Pro. I've given up on using a specific app for the "viewing" as the quality is far grainier than the original feed. For viewing I just use the embedded video feed from the control panel via chrome, where I am also able to adjust the few settings that there is available.

I have an issue for water proofing this tablet, once moisture is in the air, the charging port stops working. I have some silicone tape that I plan to make a type of gasket with for the charger. I may also glue the back plate to ensure no water is getting in that way.

Very nice, I do so Love DIY solutions =)

Couple things I wanted to make a point of.
First, security. I am not going to go into the depths of what you and folks should to to secure their wifi camera's and network. It is a very important aspect that should not be ignored, weather you thing you care or not, knowing is king =)

Then their is device/app/os talk via the network, so this kinda is covered via security as well, I wanted to make a stand alone point of it. Block all Internet traffic from your tablet, or any wifi camera/phone/whatever you are using for internal use. Many, if not all app's phone home so to speak, as well share video/images if not more.

Yes I know many want Internet access to such devices at home while you are away. Just be aware who else could be looking as well when it comes to companies/apps/devices. This is a very long winded topic I know, just wanted to make a point, know what these things are doing behind the scenes of network traffic and who they talk to before using them.

Oh, one side idea for ya, perhaps you do a time lapse of pic's using this setup.

Enjoy,

Red

Back
Top Bottom